The Student Room Group

Computing - Linux Command Prompt

Here is a question:
'Login to your Linux computer. If necessary, open a terminal window. You will see the command prompt. Describe and explain each part of the command prompt that you see.'

By 'command prompt', is it referring to the '>>>' or everything in the black window (it looks similar to cmd.exe in Windows)?

I know this is a sort of strange question but my teacher has confused me, and some students wrote about '>>>' but this seems wrong as the question asks for 'each part' to be explained, and '>>>' doesn't have multiple parts.
Original post by Kaiylar
Here is a question:
'Login to your Linux computer. If necessary, open a terminal window. You will see the command prompt. Describe and explain each part of the command prompt that you see.'

By 'command prompt', is it referring to the '>>>' or everything in the black window (it looks similar to cmd.exe in Windows)?

I know this is a sort of strange question but my teacher has confused me, and some students wrote about '>>>' but this seems wrong as the question asks for 'each part' to be explained, and '>>>' doesn't have multiple parts.

Hello :smile: I'll move your thread to the computer science section where you are more likely to get some help :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
They mean the bash terminal.

Similar to that on Windows and Command Prompt... But it's just called bash.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Changing Skies
Hello :smile: I'll move your thread to the computer science section where you are more likely to get some help :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by UWS
They mean the bash terminal.

Similar to that on Windows and Command Prompt... But it's just called bash.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that the entire black window then?
Reply 5
Original post by Kaiylar
Is that the entire black window then?

It looks like this
Reply 6
Original post by UWS
It looks like this

Yeah, it looks similar to that. Thanks!
Lets say you have "foo@foobar:~$". "foo" is the user currently using the command line. "foobar" is the name of the computer (usually called the hostname). The tilde "~" is the file path that the terminal is currently in. The ~ means its the current users home path, so for "foo" it would be "/home/foo". So for example if you "cd /var/www/html" then it would appear as "foo@bar:/var/www/html". The $ means that the current user using the command line is a normal user. If you were to change to the root user it would be #.

Hope this helps!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by theholychilli
Lets say you have "foo@foobar:~$". "foo" is the user currently using the command line. "foobar" is the name of the computer (usually called the hostname). The tilde "~" is the file path that the terminal is currently in. The ~ means its the current users home path, so for "foo" it would be "/home/foo". So for example if you "cd /var/www/html" then it would appear as "foo@bar:/var/www/html". The $ means that the current user using the command line is a normal user. If you were to change to the root user it would be #.

Hope this helps!

Thanks very much! I thought that the question was asking me to explain all the parts of the black window like 'Help', 'File', 'Edit', 'View', but I thought it might just be asking for the parts you've described.

This makes a lot more sense now, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending