The Student Room Group

Hijab/Niqab/Burka at interviews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alana_p
Im sure they would never even dare work for a close minded person which such silly opinions on hijabs and such like yourself. Theyll be fine getting promotions, they seem to be intelligent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm talking about being a female with the added stigma with being a strict Muslim female... That my friend will bring up some red exclamation marks when moving one up ranks due to their likeliness to stay in business.

I agree it's unfair but trust me even the most ethical employer wants someone who will be loyal and risk will be taken into account.

I'm subject to it also and I think about it constantly but I try to prove my loyalty through my actions (tie the tubes) to show I'm not going anywhere, not even for 9 months.

If I'm prepared to do that then surely one should be prepared to take off a silly hat for 9 hours or so of the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
I do, as long as you comply with the rule that everybody follows. I don't see why Muslims should have a special treatment.

There is no rule. You've made one up, aye?
Original post by Josb
It's not a requirement of their religion.

Wait, are you talking about Sikhs or Muslims? :curious: either way, it can be down to how its interpreted I guess.

Original post by AccountingBabe
The problem lies in that if a Muslim can wear that then a non Muslim should be allowed to choose to wear flip flops because they have bunions or w/e due to medical reasons but there is no way in hell that would happen. They wouldn't be taken seriously just like a person wearing something on their head won't be taken seriously by some.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well my sister wears a hijab and has a successful career in a large company, I'm guessing it's only a small number of people who share your view :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Leukocyte

Technically it's a unspoken rule...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sleepysnooze
this is a burqa (not exactly "fine":wink::

By burka, I actually meant this. I've been taught to refer 'burka' to it and I can't stop doing so :frown:

Lemme change it to abaya

black-plain-green-diamente-sleeve-abaya-jilbab.jpg
Reply 65

It's an unwritten behavioural rule. Try to go at a job interview with a hat, it's not officially forbidden, but you will be told to remove it.
Reply 66
Original post by Josb
I do, as long as you comply with the rule that everybody follows. I don't see why Muslims should have a special treatment.

Where is this rule though, I've yet to see it.
How can you respect me if you're making me abandon a part of my faith for silly reasons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never ever heard of this 'rule'. I think that's just a wee bit of hatred that you and your gang of dckheads have made up, pal

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what they wear in Afghanistan. You don't find them here you fool. Next time, try harder.

yeah, they were "burqas" in afghanistan. I was talking about burqas. because I actually know the difference between the niqab and the burqa (and the veil).

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it isn't a rule made by law then there shouldn't be lame excuses being made.
Original post by HAnwar
It is compulsory to cover the head in Islam.

got proof?
Original post by alana_p
I've never ever heard of this 'rule'. I think that's just a wee bit of hatred that you and your gang of dckheads have made up, pal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg... I'm trying to give constructive criticism but at the end of the day I only have to care about what I do not what you do... Wear a burka for all I care but there are certain unspoken rules that everyone knows.... Especially for interviews. The only reason Muslims aren't asked to remove their headwear during interviews is for fear of lawsuits otherwise I bet they would be told to remove it at least 70% of the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by HAnwar
It is compulsory to cover the head in Islam.

No. It is compulsory in your sect. Other Muslims have different interpretations.

Original post by alana_p

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could be mean and report you for insults, like many Muslims do, but I will just leave it so everybody can see how 'tolerant' you are towards different beliefs.
I think Muslims should criticise the people who insult Muslims before criticising the people who disagree with Islam and get on with the fact that sometime people will have views that differ to their own
Reply 74
If it isn't a rule made by law then there shouldn't be lame excuses being made.

Most behavioural rules are not written in the law. :rolleyes:
Omg... I'm trying to give constructive criticism but at the end of the day I only have to care about what I do not what you do... Wear a burka for all I care but there are certain unspoken rules that everyone knows.... Especially for interviews. The only reason Muslims aren't asked to remove their headwear during interviews is for fear of lawsuits otherwise I bet they would be told to remove it at least 70% of the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Youre not giving 'constructive criticism' youre spreading hate. If you wanted to give it you would be asking people with experience if they feel that wearing it has had an impact, not constantly saying that it's unprofessional. 'Everyone' knows this...as ive said, never heard about it pal, so it certainly isn't 'everyone'. What if the person interviewing you for a big top notch, well paying, dream job was wearing a hijab, what would you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
It's an unwritten behavioural rule. Try to go at a job interview with a hat, it's not officially forbidden, but you will be told to remove it.

Lol okay 27 y/o.
Why you comparing the hat with the headscarf? You trying to say I ain't getting a job if I wear the hijab. Dream on mate. I have a job and also got accepted, the others did not (those who were showing their lovely hair!) How do you explain this?

Original post by sleepysnooze
yeah, they were "burqas" in afghanistan. I was talking about burqas. because I actually know the difference between the niqab and the burqa (and the veil).

Oh, sure you do mate. Carry on googling images.
Original post by Josb
No. It is compulsory in your sect. Other Muslims have different interpretations.

I could be mean and report you for insults, like many Muslims do, but I will just leave it so everybody can see how 'tolerant' you are towards different beliefs.

Think you need to learn to loosen up a wee bit if youre offended with a wee bit of swearing. I'm not muslim, im atheist so i dunno what youre hinting at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alana_p
Youre not giving 'constructive criticism' youre spreading hate. If you wanted to give it you would be asking people with experience if they feel that wearing it has had an impact, not constantly saying that it's unprofessional. 'Everyone' knows this...as ive said, never heard about it pal, so it certainly isn't 'everyone'. What if the person interviewing you for a big top notch, well paying, dream job was wearing a hijab, what would you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would get the job and probably overtake them in a few years....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Lol okay 27 y/o.
Why you comparing the hat with the headscarf? You trying to say I ain't getting a job if I wear the hijab. Dream on mate. I have a job and also got accepted, the others did not (those who were showing their lovely hair!) How do you explain this?

How do I know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending