The Student Room Group

Hijab/Niqab/Burka at interviews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sleepysnooze
got proof?

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (e.g. bosoms)..." [Quran 24:31]
The Arabic word for veil is khimar and that means head cover.

"Aisha (RA) reported that Asma’ the daughter of Abu Bakr (RA) came to the Messenger of Allah*while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asma’! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." [Abu Dawud]

Original post by Josb
No. It is compulsory in your sect. Other Muslims have different interpretations.

I could be mean and report you for insults, like many Muslims do, but I will just leave it so everybody can see how 'tolerant' you are towards different beliefs.

The four main Islamic schools of thought have all unanimously agreed it's compulsory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leukocyte
wow you sheep.

I thought you meant you had a professional position where you interact between businesses not children... Attire is irrelevant in your position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Serine Soul
I don't believe that it is compulsory. The main idea is modesty and that doesn't necessarily mean covering your hair.

That may be your opinion but in Islam it is.
Sorry couldn't add your quote in, but check my response to the other guys ^
Original post by alana_p
So you have I'm assuming? Must be a bit sh-t that youve had more years than me wondering about the earth and you're very close minded to if you can see someones luscious locks or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look... I did not create the professional attire I simply abide by the rules as I expect my colleagues to do also.

I don't agree with the hijab etc but I'm not discussing my personal feelings I'm discussing appropriate attire for interviews and b2b positions that require their employees to look credible.

I'm technically a catholic but if I showed up in full nun attire id be sent home...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Original post by alana_p
What education did you have, mate? My school must of not been updated that the curriculum teaches hatred. I think youve went to a pooey school (sorry, is that vulgar offensive for you as well) if they force opinions down your throat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was speaking about your education from your family, which tells you that when you are in public, you mustn't: burp or fart, put your finger in your nose, mouth or ears, speak loudly, point your finger at other people, that you should leave your seat for older people or keep the door open when someone is behind you...

You know, these rules are not in the law or in the school curriculum, but they are part of what we call etiquette. Removing your head covering when you work is part of that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AccountingBabe
That's exactly my point though.... Two people applying for a job and one has to wear flip flops due to medical reasons and the other is normal and they both are level on experience and education who do you think they will choose??

Muslims shouldn't be allowed to wear unprofessional attire when others aren't allowed to do the same without ridicule.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't understand the relevance of what a normal person wearing flip flops and a medical patient wearing flip flops has to a woman wearing an abaya?

A normal person wearing flip flop just because he likes to do so differs immensely from one who wears a religious garment.

I also don't understand what you mean by saying it's "unprofessional attire" - since when has modesty become "unprofessional"? Though, saying that, a niqaab would be inappropriate for a professional environment, but the rest would be perfectly adequate.
I thought you meant you had a professional position where you interact between businesses not children... Attire is irrelevant in your position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Working at the hospital isn't professional then? Is that what you're trying to say?
I interact with the doctors + nurses bc they tell me about their conditions and what I have to do and be aware of.
I have to dress professionally, this includes wearing the correct hijab.
Not so educated are you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by fire_and_ice
I don't understand the relevance of what a normal person wearing flip flops and a medical patient wearing flip flops has to a woman wearing an abaya?

A normal person wearing flip flop just because he likes to do so differs immensely from one who wears a religious garment.

I also don't understand what you mean by saying it's "unprofessional attire" - since when has modesty become "unprofessional"? Though, saying that, a niqaab would be inappropriate for a professional environment, but the rest would be perfectly adequate.

....you have completely misunderstood the whole story so I'm going to just leave that here because your train of thought is no where near my station.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (e.g. bosoms)..." [Quran 24:31]

"Aisha (RA) reported that Asma’ the daughter of Abu Bakr (RA) came to the Messenger of Allah*while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asma’! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." [Abu Dawud]

1) that verse isn't seeming to suggest that women should cover their hair or heads though? I don't know what you're talking about. "khimar"? who's talking about khimar? if the arabic word for something was as such, why wasn't it translated in that verse correctly?
2) da **** is "aisha (ra)"? how are they an islamic authority? are they another prophet, like moe?
Reply 109
Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't say that they should wear a veil over their hair. It says bosoms. I agree with that. :wink:

And the full veil contradicts the second quote.
Working at the hospital isn't professional then? Is that what you're trying to say?
I interact with the doctors + nurses bc they tell me about their conditions and what I have to do and be aware of.
I have to dress professionally, this includes wearing the correct hijab.
Not so educated are you?

.... Doctors and nurses have to wear uniforms which is different from professional attire.

You on the other hand stand around and talk to children and when you say professional what you actually mean is smart casual not professional.

I'm sorry you wasted so much time speaking on professional attire when you are unaware of fashion as a whole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Yes the less you cover, the more business like you look... :rolleyes:

the inverse isnt necessarily true either.
.... Doctors and nurses have to wear uniforms which is different from professional attire.
You on the other hand stand around and talk to children and when you say professional what you actually mean is smart casual not professional.
I'm sorry you wasted so much time speaking on professional attire when you are unaware of fashion as a whole.
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's okay I shouldn't have conversed with someone so ill-minded who holds negative views about Muslims :smile:

2) da **** is "aisha (ra)"? how are they an islamic authority? are they another prophet, like moe?

Someone sounds stressed. You don't have to swear.
It's okay I shouldn't have conversed with someone so ill-minded who holds negative views about Muslims :smile:

I don't mind Muslims actually I feel kind of sorry for them but I can't stand any religion and can't stand having to put up with other people's religious beliefs day in and out.

But ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem at all
No one should be allowed to be interviewed whilst wearing a burka, how do you know it's not some crazy killer underneath that thing?!
Someone sounds stressed. You don't have to swear.

d'aw sorry boo
Original post by HAnwar

incorrect - khimar simply means cover ( and has been shown to mean window cover, table cover etc in clsssical arabic. the quran 24:31 does not at any point mention 'head (raas) or hair for that matter (sha'ar) when commanding covering up- so therefore you are inserting words to suggest such.

the only commandment in the quran was to cover your bosom - the rest which spawned the use of niqb, burkha and indeed hijab is all a construct of later generations of men in islamic society.
Original post by HAnwar

Abu Dawud - is he regarded as sahih?
Original post by HAnwar

The four main Islamic schools of thought have all unanimously agreed it's compulsory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

and yet not presribed in the quran, why would something compulsary not be
1) that verse isn't seeming to suggest that women should cover their hair or heads though? I don't know what you're talking about. "khimar"? who's talking about khimar? if the arabic word for something was as such, why wasn't it translated in that verse correctly?

The 'veil' in the translation is a head cover. So the verse is speaking to women who had a head cover on in the first place, but now they are being asked to draw it onto their chests.

You don't know Arabic that's why it's hard to explain.
Because veil comes under head cover. If you were Arabic speaking you would know that, but because you aren't, you have to look into its interpretation and research into it.

I'm finding it hard to take you seriously with the manner in which you're speaking with. Next time I won't bother replying and you can do your own research.

She was the Prophet Muhammad (SAW)'s wife who narrated many ahadith which Muslims today follow. The ahadith are strong and are deemed reliable by respectable scholars.

Original post by Josb
It doesn't say that they should wear a veil over their hair. It says bosoms. I agree with that. :wink:

And the full veil contradicts the second quote.

Like I said, the Arabic word for veil is 'khimar' and that means head cover. So the verse is saying to draw their head covers onto their chests.

Some scholars say the full veil is compulsory, some say it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending