The Student Room Group

There are too many people on benefits

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSRFT8
1) Are you serious? How did you come to that conclusion, the majority of them do.
2) Back in the purse of who? The businesses whose tax they used in the first place?
3) Yes to improve their experience and employ-ability, it does not need any more workers so why should it pay them to get experience? Also its not forcing its a government initiative in order to get experience to strengthen your CV.

i think that wealth is just a state of mind?
Original post by 0123456543210
Solution= forced labour for people unemployed after a certain period of time.

I.e. Workfare. Which is just a system where big businesses who already have enough money to influence the government to leave handy tax loopholes also get the same government to send them loads of free labour so they don't have to employ as many staff and still have the same number of people working for them.
Original post by stargirl63
Good, when I have the chance I'll be doing the same.

If I'm rich enough to want to open an off-shore account, I'm not particularly interested in funding schools or NHS when my children will get private education and private healthcare.

I'd prefer a "pay as you go " approach to calling police, fire brigade etc - what's the harm in paying for what you use?

I find tax like everyone going to a restaurant with friends, and everyone ordering significantly different priced meals, and then at the end "splitting the bill equally" ... and you end up paying for your friend's 5 glasses of wine. It's BS.

Please think about what you're saying ffs.

Tax is taken from everyone, why do you have the right - simply by virtue of having more money than most - deserve to avoid the tax that gave you an education and kept you alive (if you used the NHS as a minor particularly as you hadnt been taxed at that point) so you can be at the point you are?

As for your pay as you go approach it will price the poorest out of using services they desperately need. When i was a little kid i had a life threatening illness and spent months in a coma. My treatment cost thousands but my parents were too poor to pay for it, the NHS saved my life. If it was pay as you go people like me would be dead because their families cant afford to keep them alive and that is a disgusting and bleak future. People wont call the police because they wont be able to pay them, they'll be mugged or murdered or watch their worldly possessions burn and be homeless because they werent fortunate enough to be born clever or into money.

In retrospect i think your post is likely clever trolling and poes law has caught up with me again but i'll leave the opinion out there for anyone mad enough to genuinely think that tax avoidance or PAYG services/the scrapping of the NHS are good ideas.
Honestly it was hard for me to try and word what I had in mind. Apologies if I offended anyone, it was only after I read it that I realised it was pretty extreme. The point I'm trying to make is that if we give everyone a free ride in education,nhs etc, society will not know how lucky they actually are. This is where we are going...I have said in other posts how education is abused by kids who give teachers a hard time and those who bunk off (compared to kids in India, Africa who would give their right arm to sit in a lesson ). And I have said that people abuse the nhs by going to the GP for a cold (or other stupid reasons) or ending up in A&E every weekend because they can't handle their drink .

What I would like to see is people actually appreciating the benefits this country gives,and besides making people pay for what they use ,how else can we do this? Free "allowance" perhaps? I don't know.

Original post by GonvilleBromhead
Please think about what you're saying ffs.

In retrospect i think your post is likely clever trolling and poes law has caught up with me again but i'll leave the opinion out there for anyone mad enough to genuinely think that tax avoidance or PAYG services/the scrapping of the NHS are good ideas.

Original post by TSRFT8
I agreed with your other posts but this point is so retarded it actually makes me question your IQ. I understand what you are trying to get at and like i said i agree with your other posts but this is just too far.
try to keep your money in assets as opposed to income, in order to avoid having to pay other people's taxes!
Original post by TSRFT8
They are spending the rich peoples money you seem to forget, the rich are the ones paying tax which is used for benefits so technically the money is not actually theirs. Also by your suggestion we should all stop saving money and just stand outside the job center and hand it out like candy.

If you want to put things that way, then wealthy business owners are spending governments money when they rely on roads government built to deliver their products, schools government built and maintain to employ quality graduates, police and legal system government built to prevent their business being violated, especially on copyright issues, military government pay for to keep your business safe from isis, oh and bailouts when business fails.... etc. Wealthy business benefit from a healthy ecosystem, they just take it for granted and do not appreciate, they do not realise have more to lose than the regular people if society is in chaos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

If I'm rich enough to want to open an off-shore account, I'm not particularly interested in funding schools or NHS when my children will get private education and private healthcare.

I'd prefer a "pay as you go " approach to calling police, fire brigade etc - what's the harm in paying for what you use?

I find tax like everyone going to a restaurant with friends, and everyone ordering significantly different priced meals, and then at the end "splitting the bill equally" ... and you end up paying for your friend's 5 glasses of wine. It's BS.

I hope the pay as you go system gets implemented now so there will be no social mobility for you to ever come close to become rich. You are welcomed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by redferry
Not really, most of it just goes into the pension pots of already rich private landlords.

No that's housing benefit and that system is complete created by the government through high immigration levels and low levels of house building over 30 years mainly caused by planning restrictions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdjectiveNoun
More money is lost through tax evasion than spent on benefits.

And what?

Why do people think this is a relevant comment?

So your example does this.

You call the police the local gang of drug dealers are outside and you have seen a gun. You live in a poor area hence the gang and the police charge you 2k to come out when you could be in danger or doing your civic duty.

Meanwhile in the rich area there are many less calls as there is less crime.

So basically you punish the law abiding poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly it was hard for me to try and word what I had in mind. Apologies if I offended anyone, it was only after I read it that I realised it was pretty extreme. The point I'm trying to make is that if we give everyone a free ride in education,nhs etc, society will not know how lucky they actually are. This is where we are going...I have said in other posts how education is abused by kids who give teachers a hard time and those who bunk off (compared to kids in India, Africa who would give their right arm to sit in a lesson ). And I have said that people abuse the nhs by going to the GP for a cold (or other stupid reasons) or ending up in A&E every weekend because they can't handle their drink .

What I would like to see is people actually appreciating the benefits this country gives,and besides making people pay for what they use ,how else can we do this? Free "allowance" perhaps? I don't know.

The public have the right to those services as they were fought for by our ancestors.

The kind of policies you have mentioned are what we had before, it wasn't better.

People mention tax evasion for a reason.

When you look at the welfare bill a tiny fraction of that is jsa which is what you are moaning about were talking a few billion which pales into comparison with tax evasion, or money we waste on the eu, or trident (if you are of that mind) or bad public expenditure like nhs drug purchasing things that can be brought for a fraction of the price they pay.

Basically you don't sweat the smaller stuff until you have sorted out the larger issues.

Also the state now spends a much lower amount by percentage of gdp than it has in the recent past. One of the lowest in Europe.

I say this as the son of a VP for an extremely large software company for Europe, Middle East and Africa aka the genuinely rich.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It supposedly comes from Milton Friedman who is the wet dream of the current crop of world leaders. But they ignore a lot of what he said. The guy supported a negative income tax (you give money to people who do not earn enough to pay tax).

he supported that as an alternative to welfare programmes. he testified against it before congress because they wanted to add it onto existing welfare
Original post by paul514
No that's housing benefit and that system is complete created by the government through high immigration levels and low levels of house building over 30 years mainly caused by planning restrictions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Noone specified what kind of benefits. The housing benefit bill is far more out of control than out of work benefits and regardless of who caused the problem my point still stands.
Reply 53
Original post by ElephantMemory
That exists for many people on benefits. Especially people on JSA.

if you consider 9 hour work weeks adequate, then sure

That means people like me are seriously ****ed. I've got numerous long term illnesses, one of which will end up leaving me blind and another which will kill me. I've also learnt this week I'm taking something which is giving me hearing problems.

Not all of us who go to the doctors go there for fun.

Make people pay for the services they use and you're penalising people with long term medical problems. People like my cousins child who is in and out of hospital because his lungs haven't developed properly and he gets chest infections constantly.

And no, we wouldn't be able to get health insurance either because of the conditions we have.
Reply 55
Original post by Tiger Rag
That means people like me are seriously ****ed. I've got numerous long term illnesses, one of which will end up leaving me blind and another which will kill me. I've also learnt this week I'm taking something which is giving me hearing problems.

Not all of us who go to the doctors go there for fun.

Make people pay for the services they use and you're penalising people with long term medical problems. People like my cousins child who is in and out of hospital because his lungs haven't developed properly and he gets chest infections constantly.

And no, we wouldn't be able to get health insurance either because of the conditions we have.

a great way to reduce the barrier to health care is to reduce regulation and allow insurance companies and medical providers to compete. that will lower the cost and increase outcomes tremendously
Stop complaining about people on benefits. They are there to help people survive. Just because you have more money does not mean your life is worth more than mine.

People on benefits are taxed more heavily than the rich. My dad has 80% of his earnings taken because we claim benefits, and so we need the benefit money even more.

Also, to the people saying we should only have private education and healthcare, **** OFF. If you want to put your child into that, go ahead. But not everyone has the money to be able to. Do you want us to become like America, where having a cast taken off will cost you $2000+ and giving birth costs tens of thousands of dollars?!
Reply 57
Original post by supernerdural
Stop complaining about people on benefits. They are there to help people survive. Just because you have more money does not mean your life is worth more than mine.

People on benefits are taxed more heavily than the rich. My dad has 80% of his earnings taken because we claim benefits, and so we need the benefit money even more.

Also, to the people saying we should only have private education and healthcare, **** OFF. If you want to put your child into that, go ahead. But not everyone has the money to be able to. Do you want us to become like America, where having a cast taken off will cost you $2000+ and giving birth costs tens of thousands of dollars?!

What I would like to see is people actually appreciating the benefits this country gives

spot on
I wasn't referring to eating habits, I was referring to people paying for each other.

Why rich people have a "duty" to look after the poor people is something I won't understand. I agree that it's the right thing to do, and that the world will be a better place etc, but when it's something FORCED upon you, and tax evasion is crime which could take you to jail, is something I don't agree with at all. Why don't we throw everyone in jail who doesn't volunteer and give to charity - that's basically the same thing.

I get that I do think there are too many people on benefits who don't want to get a job and would rather live off the tax payers hard earned money. Benefit fraud is also a crime and which you go to jail for. Law is law and paying your taxes is that law.

It's not the same thing, you're paying for health care and for the police and other vital services that run the country. You're saying you'd run off a pay as you go service but if you're dead you can't pay the bill that you run up when you're dying or murdered. That would be a stupid service and it's why there's so many sick people in America who won't go to the hospital because they can't afford it.
Original post by TSRFT8
The rich dont OWE you their money, this is the problem with the working class, until this mindset that the rich OWE them something is removed nothing will change. The rich are being FORCED to hand over their money (yes its the moral thing etc) but they arent your slaves for them to be working 40 hour weeks and for you to be playing the xbox. Yes people have disabilities and im not saying people should not get benefits, but this whole thing that the rich have too much money and should share is the stupidest thing i have heard.

When did I say that the rich should share their money? I'm saying they should pay their tax like every other working person in the UK. Just because their rich doesn't mean they can take the law into their own hands. They are not being forced, if they don't want to live in the UK they can leave, they can definitely afford to.

I work 45 hours a week and pay my taxes so that I can survive, I take taxes on my chin because I live in the UK and that's how the system works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending