The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by m.al-hussain
As God is Omnipotent and free from imperfections, it would be a flaw of His to be restricted by science. Science itself is flawed and ever-improving.
New research contradicts claims of scientists from the past decades.
“Science and religion are not at odds. Science is simply too young to understand.”
Dan Brown

i understood it when the first guy said it, it's still very convenient that science can proof everything else EXCEPT god.
Reply 381
Original post by donutellme
No worries evidence for, nor any against. God can either simply be ingrained into the universe, such that it makes no difference to what we observe.

there's no evidence against the fact that i have an invisible pet dinosaur either, doesn't make it at all true.
Original post by mangala
i understood it when the first guy said it, it's still very convenient that science can proof everything else EXCEPT god.

:angry:
SCIENCE IS FLAWED!!!
It cannot prove everything
There are so many undiscovered things out there you cant use science.
Reply 383
SCIENCE IS FLAWED!!!

science is flawed, but blindly trusting what a random book says is flawless. okay.
Original post by mangala
there's no evidence against the fact that i have an invisible pet dinosaur either, doesn't make it at all true.

Exactly. I was just showing how it's pointless discussing the existence of God.

I cannot claim for certain you don't have an invisible pet dinosaur (which also has no mass/heat signature or any other way to be detected). But you can't claim for certain you do.

Religion is more worthy of discussion.
But you can't claim for certain you do.

Well, he can. It is no more outrageous than claiming that Mohammed flew on a horse over Arabia, or that Jesus fed 5,000 from almost no food at all.

I don't see why. One superstitious belief or unsupported claim is worth just as much as another. Nothing.
Reply 386
Exactly. I was just showing how it's pointless discussing the existence of God.

I cannot claim for certain you don't have an invisible pet dinosaur (which also has no mass/heat signature or any other way to be detected). But you can't claim for certain you do.

why is religion more worthy of discussion?
Original post by Good bloke
Well, he can. It is no more outrageous than claiming that Mohammed flew on a horse over Arabia, or that Jesus fed 5,000 from almost no food at all.

I don't see why. One superstitious belief or unsupported claim is worth just as much as another. Nothing.

Original post by mangala
why is religion more worthy of discussion?

Because religion actually affects our lives and has a measurable impact. Religion is what you probably mean when you refer to God.

Whether God exists by himself or not doesn't make a difference. It's like you compared to an ant. The ant isn't affected by your existence unless they make a doctrine which means they have to build ant mounds in your honour.
Original post by Pegasus2
I'd really like to have a debate in person, much easier. I cba to type long posts, they become convoluted, shame.

I don't view God and Science at odds with one another. The concept of God does not fit into human rules, that's not a cop out, that's just the way it is.
I'm also not beliting achievement.

Remember though, there were a few times when we thought the world was millions of years old, though perfectly good scientific methods. It's just that we haden't discovered somthing else first. There isn't anything wrong with that, that's progress but it reminds us that we're not always right and we don't always hold all the peices of the puzzle.

This leads to: We must not be overconfident in science. I see this a lot. It is fallible, because people are fallible. We've been around such a short time it's not even funny.

Inquisative question: Does the concept of God
scare you? In that there is somthing that may potentially exist that operates outside our rules and cannot be tested for?

Please be honest, no judgement here.

Side note: I've always thought the Universe, for its scale, would be much older than it is. Seems young, has always bugged me.

I'll have a shot at making this, er, not long. I agree long posts make me loose the will!

The laws of the universe are not human rules. Though I would expect God to exist outside of our universe somehow, if he interacts with it in any way, I would also expect there to be some proof, some suggestion of that. Instead I see two bodies of evidence; one, and the most compelling IMO, moving on the direction of being incorporated into a Grand Theory of Everything where the existence of things can be explained by a single set of equations, maybe one. The other at every turn presenting us with more questions than we find answers to with a suggestion that there exists something beyond our universe. Neither support in the slightest way the God of any of the major religions.

I think we can be very confident in science, we've just got to admit it and move on when we spot our mistakes if that makes sense.

"We've been around such a short time it's not even funny" is excellent, do you mind if I use it? I don't know what it is about this sentence but I like it a lot.

Inquisitive answers: I used to be a Christian. No, doesn't scare me . Actually feel a wonderful peace when I'm calculating the parabolic motion of a projectile or memorising the Standard Model and may rap to myself "it's like that, and that's the way it is". Seriously tho, I believe in the good and unique parts of our humanity, but I don't get spiritual about it. IfGod does exist, then he does. I am not arrogant enough to say he absolutely does not, or does.

Yeah universe does seen young, though only because the brain thinks universe= enormous=massive numbers involved=years existed must be biggest number I've ever seen. What do you mean that's not strictly Cosmology?!
Also, I find it super grating when science sceptical religious people then nick bits of new science and try to use it for their own purposes like "see...we told you so! Mathematician over there says the concept of infinity is problematic! The universe MUST have been caused!"

Nope.
SCIENCE IS FLAWED!!!

better than "I'm stupid, therefore god"
Original post by chemting
better than "I'm stupid, therefore god"

Well said, well translated.
Please write more of these.

I'm currently eyeing up Buddhism actually.
(edited 2 years ago)
The human body cannot accept a blood transfusion from an ape, as the immune system would recognise it as foreign.

How therefore could we have ever evolved?

One species blood is only good for that species.

And yes I am still harping on about it because its science.
I disagree. I don't think you watch the news enough. People murder people just because they want to. There is no evolutionary higher gain to be found.
Original post by Racoon
The human body cannot accept a blood transfusion from an ape, as the immune system would recognise it as foreign.

You should pick your examples a bit more carefully in your ever-ridiculous quest against evolution. It is merely an example of how the different species have evolved away from the common ancestor in many ways.

In fact, humans can receive tissue from animals - the pig is a good source of skin for grafts, for example, and there is hope that we can go on in the future to receive pig blood.
Original post by Racoon

^^^ serious deficit of understanding, you have also not used your common sense. Before others provide you with research to the contrary, are there any biologists reading this thread that can contribute? I think it's best that those who have a focus on the field and therefore the greatest credibility reply to and quickly shut down arguments like the above!
Original post by Racoon

Interesting multiple opinions for you to read here;

http://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/9172/do-apes-and-humans-share-99-of-dna-or-99-of-genes-what-is-the-difference
As God is Omnipotent and free from imperfections, it would be a flaw of His to be restricted by science. Science itself is flawed and ever-improving.
New research contradicts claims of scientists from the past decades.
“Science and religion are not at odds. Science is simply too young to understand.”
Dan Brown

Religious texts do a very efficient job in discrediting themselves without the help of science by contradicting their own teachings.

Please not a Dan Brown quote.
Original post by john2054
I don't actually believe in time, hence the universe is 'ageless' imho!

Why not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending