The Student Room Group

What grades do you need to get into Oxbridge?

GCSEs and AS and A2

Scroll to see replies

Why don't you just look at the online course page for the subject you are interested in at each Uni?

Its not exactly difficult.
Well for A Levels, now you need A*A*A.

For GCSE I think Oxford generally want more A*s but getting a few As and Bs won't hurt for most subjects I think. A bit stricter for some subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Basically straight Astars then :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Why don't you just look at the online course page for the subject you are interested in at each Uni?

It doesn't say what you need to get for GCSE.....
They don't have GCSE requirements but obviously they will want to see as many A*s as possible
Reply 7

You again?
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
You again?

I am prolific.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Check the website. Cambridge want A*A*A for sciences and A*AA for humanities whilst Oxford's requirements are slightly lower. Oxford seem to like higher GCSEs although I dont believe there is a requirement.
Basically straight Astars then :wink:

Yeah, at GCSE, mostly A*s and As is helpful

A Level, try to get at least AAAB at AS, and get predicted A*A*A :dontknow:
Completely depends on the subject you want to apply for though
More about UMS average at AS level - 95% would be strong for law/humanities, 96ish for sciences and maths, although ofc you can get lower and still get an offer. GCSEs: try to get as many A* as you can but it's not as important
GCSEs and AS and A2
For A-Level grades, it really depends on the subject, and ranges from AAA to A*A*A. It also depends for a few subjects on how many A-Levels you are doing, for example I have an offer of AAAA or A*AA for Earth Sciences because I do four A-Levels. I don't know how much notice will be taken of AS grades in the future, because of A-Levels being reformed.
GCSEs are taken as part of the wider picture, and for many subjects there are entrance tests, so if you do brilliantly on the entrance test then your GCSEs might not matter as much. You also need real passion for your subject, shown in your personal statement and then there is the interview...
Reply 13
Original post by Headingtonian
For A-Level grades, it really depends on the subject, and ranges from AAA to A*A*A. It also depends for a few subjects on how many A-Levels you are doing, for example I have an offer of AAAA or A*AA for Earth Sciences because I do four A-Levels. I don't know how much notice will be taken of AS grades in the future, because of A-Levels being reformed.
GCSEs are taken as part of the wider picture, and for many subjects there are entrance tests, so if you do brilliantly on the entrance test then your GCSEs might not matter as much. You also need real passion for your subject, shown in your personal statement and then there is the interview...

Oh well done for getting an offer! :smile: do you mind me asking what you got in your GCSES? I'm currently doing GCSEs at the moment but I'm trying to think ahead as well X I've been on the website and done research, I am interested in law. So
Reply 14
Original post by Nikhilm
More about UMS average at AS level - 95% would be strong for law/humanities, 96ish for sciences and maths, although ofc you can get lower and still get an offer. GCSEs: try to get as many A* as you can but it's not as important

Thank you. Yeah I'm doing my GCSEs at the moment and am interested in law
Reply 15
GCSEs and AS and A2

Original post by Dinasaurus
Well for A Levels, now you need A*A*A.

Nope. Depends entirely on the course and uni.

Original post by returnmigrant

^this

It doesn't say what you need to get for GCSE.....

If they don't say it's because there is no specific requirement.

Check the college pages too though, some do have more stringent requirements than others - e.g. for Law at Churchill (Cambridge) they say less than 5A* GCSE is unlikely to be called for interview. Other Cambridge colleges may be less concerned by GCSEs.

https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/study-us/undergraduates/subjects/law/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Nope. Depends entirely on the course and uni.

^this

If they don't say it's because there is no specific requirement.

Check the college pages too though, some do have more stringent requirements than others - e.g. for Law at Churchill (Cambridge) they say less than 5A* GCSE is unlikely to be called for interview. Other Cambridge colleges may be less concerned by GCSEs.

https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/study-us/undergraduates/subjects/law/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much every science I've seen at Cambridge was A*A*A.
Reply 17
Original post by Dinasaurus
Pretty much every science I've seen at Cambridge was A*A*A.

Indeed, but not at Oxford. And OP didn't specifiy a course.

Also Maths at Cambridge (and sometimes other courses) requires STEP.
And PBS and HSPS at Cambridge are usually A*AA

Anyone asking this question needs to be specific and check appropriately.
(edited 8 years ago)
You don't need straight A*s... I got into Cambridge with an A* A A and the A* wasn't from the subject that I'm currently studying. Only had 3 A*s on my GCSEs. Grades aren't that important, it's the interview that gets you in. Oxbridge has a particular teaching method and the interview tests whether you're suited to the tutor-styled teaching. It's very independent.
Reply 19
Original post by foreignbloke
Grades aren't that important, it's the interview that gets you in. Oxbridge has a particular teaching method and the interview tests whether you're suited to the tutor-styled teaching. It's very independent.

No. The Cambridge admissions tutors have said many times that the interview is no more or less important than other parts of the application. They take everything into consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest