The Student Room Group

How would you change England's exam marking system?

Students across England are being asked for their views on proposed changes to the GCSE, AS and A level marking review and appeals system.

Ofqual, the exams regulator, wants current school and college students to have their say on the system which governs how students and schools can ask for a GCSE, AS or A level result to be reviewed.

If you want your views to be considered, you need to fill in this survey by 11 March (you'll also go into a draw to win an iPad Air 2).

Ofqual survey into exam marking and appeals >>

More info:
This video explains the proposals
This infographic explains the proposals
Or read the full set of proposals in the main consultation document

Julie Swan, Acting Executive Director for General Qualifications, Ofqual said: “We consult before making changes to qualification arrangements so that we can take into account the views of people who have an interest in the system.

"Our proposed changes are designed to make the system fairer, more effective and transparent. The people who respond to our consultations are usually adults, especially those who work in the education sector.

"We’d really like to have more input from young people who are directly affected by the marking review and appeals system.”

The survey asks four questions adapted from part of Ofqual's full consultation, which runs until 11 March.

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 11.27.13GMT.png

Who else can see the mistake? Pretty embarrasing for the exam's regulator.
My days, this is a question of incomprehensible proportions. How do you go about marking MILLIONS of papers every single year in the most fair, consistent and efficient way possible? I'm not sure it's possible.

I agree, though, at the moment the system is broken. Students get their grade back, are unhappy with it or don't agree that it reflects with their performance, can submit for a remark and grades can swing wildly. Is this a fault with the examiner who marked it first? Or marked it second? This is more of a problem with subjective subjects where the exams are set essay questions. With maths, it's much more difficult to get marking wrong.

So with that knowledge, I don't think I would change the current system for objective exams - you can only get an answer right or wrong. However, for subjective exams, I would move to a system where the exam script is blindly double-marked. Two independent examiners give their score for the paper and an average is taken. If the scores differ by more than one grade boundary (so differ by 20% or so), then the paper is sent through to a 3rd examiner who will provide THEIR mark, and that mark, along with the one it most closely agrees with before will form the basis of the average grade.

With this method, the papers are being 'remarked' as a matter of their original marking course, and appeals should therefore not be allowed. This would improve the quality, accuracy and robustness of the marking system, but would massively decrease the efficiency, which I realise is key here. However, if I was in charge, I would extend the marking period and implement this system :yep:
Reply 3
The whole process is ridiculous.

On results day, each candidate should have access to online copies of their scripts. Where they think they have not been given the correct mark, they submit that single question for remarking. £1 per mark reviewed. Much more transparent for students and quicker for exam boards, as they would not have to mark whole papers.
Original post by jamestg

it should be negative 26/3 right
Original post by jamestg

On results day, each candidate should have access to online copies of their scripts. Where they think they have not been given the correct mark, they submit that single question for remarking. £1 per mark reviewed. Much more transparent for students and quicker for exam boards, as they would not have to mark whole papers.

YES! This is perfect! An extra half pound paid for each exam should be more than enough to pay for the costs of the servers and websites to do this.
Reply 6
Original post by gagafacea1
YES! This is perfect! An extra half pound paid for each exam should be more than enough to pay for the costs of the servers and websites to do this.

Exactly!
Original post by jamestg

I agree with this. Right now you're gambling £30 (a ludicrous amount of money for what you're getting) for a remark. People who should have gotten a different mark can be put off because they don't want to take the risk. I've known people go from D to A (in a ****ing biology exam, so "professional judgement" is no excuse) on a remark. Imagine if they hadn't gotten it remarked?

The whole system is a disgusting racket.
Original post by jamestg

Nice minus.
I think the best way to ensure that the correct marks are given for each paper is to give the examiner's a slightly longer time to mark the papers (Even though this means a longer wait for students to get their results). In the first place, examiners should be experienced, or be teachers with good advanced knowledge of the subject in question.
E.g. English teachers should mark english papers, etc.

Teachers should be paid more to do this too, so it is not a chore. Make the process less stressful for the markers. (I think their wages should be much higher than they are now anyway).

I agree with a point made by another person here of getting papers marked independently by two examiners, and even a third examiner. They are important exams, so make an effort to get them marked correctly.

Students should not be able to see their scripts online, that would be a mess! Imagine how busy the servers would be! Not feasible.
Original post by Ishan_2000
I think the best way to ensure that the correct marks are given for each paper is to give the examiner's a slightly longer time to mark the papers (Even though this means a longer wait for students to get their results). In the first place, examiners should be experienced, or be teachers with good advanced knowledge of the subject in question.

Teachers should be paid more to do this too, so it is not a chore. Make the process less stressful for the markers. (I think their wages should be much higher than they are now anyway).

I agree with a point made by another person here of getting papers marked independently by two examiners, and even a third examiner. They are important exams, so make an effort to get them marked correctly.

Students should not be able to see their scripts online, that would be a mess! Imagine how busy the servers would be! Not feasible.

If you think A levels are bad, I can assure you it gets worse at Uni.
On the course I attended, results were achieved by collusion with the course leader and his side-kick.
Documentation was falsified, so called feedback was a work of fantasy. When this was challenged, you were deemed a trouble maker and the full range of subjectivity went to work.
You have no rights as a student, the system closes ranks and the system protects the system.
Its not nice to be cheated !!!
I think the best way to ensure that the correct marks are given for each paper is to give the examiner's a slightly longer time to mark the papers (Even though this means a longer wait for students to get their results).

Examiners have plenty of time to mark the papers, they simply need to employ more. 3 months is plenty of time for waiting, and it's extremely impractical. Can't delay uni and sixth form entry because that would be a mess. Can't start exams earlier because there already is not enough time in the teaching calendar.

In the first place, examiners should be experienced, or be teachers with good advanced knowledge of the subject in question.

Pretty much all examiners are. No inexperienced marker and teacher will be let loose on exam scripts.

Just because they get more money, doesn't make it any less of a chore. They just need to employ more.

That would just confuse the process and isn't really dealing with the problem. How would you determine the mark they actually get - mean mark? Sensible, but that could still over or under exaggerate their mark.

If I remember correctly, you're in Y11. Once you look it at from the perspective of when you have taken all of your exams and gotten the results, you will want to make sure you get the correct marks. Well it wouldn't be that busy, and the timeline of requests wouldn't change - the deadline would still be late September. You wouldn't be doing it all on results days.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I really wouldn't comment on the exam marking system if you have only been through it for a couple of GCSEs and have never actually been through the process of remarking.

I had the worst experience possible of it, my school submitted the wrong piece of coursework (the piece I got an E on instead of the one I got an A on) and it meant my grade plummeted from an A to a C. I was fuming and still am, but nothing can be done. There needs to be a new system to prevent something like this.

This just isn't true. Their servers would be no busier than TSR, or UCAS, or various revision sites that all manage to stay alive during exam time. When they're charging us £15 per exam (double if you dare miss their arbitrary deadline) it's the least they can do. I really don't understand how exam boards can charge such an extreme amount of money for such a simple thing (that they manage to **** up all the time, too) but be unable to provide simple things like viewing your scripts online. The worst thing is that they already have all the scripts scanned, they just don't let anyone see them without paying EVEN MORE. Exam boards are horribly greedy and corrupt, and I'm just happy that I'll be finished my A levels this year so I won't have to suffer through any more of their diabolical reforms.

Also, papers are marked independently by multiple examiners already.
Original post by jamestg
Examiners have plenty of time to mark the papers, they simply need to employ more. 3 months is plenty of time for waiting, and it's extremely impractical. Can't delay uni and sixth form entry because that would be a mess. Can't start exams earlier because there already is not enough time in the teaching calendar.

Pretty much all examiners are. No inexperienced marker and teacher will be let loose on exam scripts.

Just because they get more money, doesn't make it any less of a chore. They just need to employ more.

That would just confuse the process and isn't really dealing with the problem. How would you determine the mark they actually get - mean mark? Sensible, but that could still over or under exaggerate their mark.

If I remember correctly, you're in Y11. Once you look it at from the perspective of when you have taken all of your exams and gotten the results, you will want to make sure you get the correct marks. Well it wouldn't be that busy, and the timeline of requests wouldn't change - the deadline would still be late September. You wouldn't be doing it all on results days.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I really wouldn't comment on the exam marking system if you have only been through it for a couple of GCSEs and have never actually been through the process of remarking.

I had the worst experience possible of it, my school submitted the wrong piece of coursework (the piece I got an E on instead of the one I got an A on) and it meant my grade plummeted from an A to a C. I was fuming and still am, but nothing can be done. There needs to be a new system to prevent something like this.

Fair points. I need to think before I write a bit more.And I should have more experience to comment on this issue too. All you say is true.
Original post by JordanL_
This just isn't true. Their servers would be no busier than TSR, or UCAS, or various revision sites that all manage to stay alive during exam time. When they're charging us £15 per exam (double if you dare miss their arbitrary deadline) it's the least they can do. I really don't understand how exam boards can charge such an extreme amount of money for such a simple thing (that they manage to **** up all the time, too) but be unable to provide simple things like viewing your scripts online. The worst thing is that they already have all the scripts scanned, they just don't let anyone see them without paying EVEN MORE. Exam boards are horribly greedy and corrupt, and I'm just happy that I'll be finished my A levels this year so I won't have to suffer through any more of their diabolical reforms.

Also, papers are marked independently by multiple examiners already.

They're scanned already? So, they have digital versions of every paper already?

Ah right, did not know this.

I am inexperienced in this area, I should not have commented as I did tbh.
Reply 15
idk but they need to change something bc people are losing uni places AND some are going up 2 grades!!
insanity!

maybe have it go through 2 examiner/marker people?
Reply 16
Why should you pay for a remark anyway? Why does it cost so much?
Reply 17
Original post by whorace
Why should you pay for a remark anyway? Why does it cost so much?

It's a way for the exam board to make money off of a flawed system.
Reply 18
A grade can increase from a D to an A because "marks were not added up correctly". I know at least 4 people with similar stories, myself included. The occasional mistake is understandable, but clearly the system needs changing. The costs are also ridiculous; imagine receiving an erroneous grade and not being able to afford the remark. I wonder how many people have missed a university offer unfairly. Fully agree with jamestg's idea.
Original post by jamestg

Haha, someone missed out the minus sign from the top equation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending