The Student Room Group

Anger as boycott of Israeli goods to becomes a criminal offense

Scroll to see replies

Original post by viddy9
They have a mandate to buy products for their areas. Universities have a mandate to buy whichever products they want for their universities. A crime commissioner does not have a mandate to make decisions outside of his or her area.

That's not a 'mandate', that's an assumed legal right. The government obviously begs to differ. Councils and not elected to take foreign policy stances. I assume it's pretty easy enough to simply not buy things from Israel, however the practice at issue here is the symbolic, politically motivated public boycotts.

Original post by viddy9
Not every brutal dictatorship or regime is necessarily a terrorist state on top of being a brutal regime. Israel has been documented deliberately targeting civilian infrastructure and threatening violence against the Palestinians in order to achieve wider political aims, including trying to change the political situation in the Gaza Strip, and so on. Furthermore, by targeting flour mills and other infrastructure integral to Palestinian society, it has sought to ensure that the Gaza Strip in particular is entirely dependent on Israel for its supplies. This is all easily verifiable by independent human rights organisations.

Israel has been documented, as testified to before the United Nations by British Colonel Richard Kemp, to having stricter rules-of-engagement than ISAF forces operated under in Afghanistan. Any and all legitimate cases of collateral damage, once Pallywood propaganda has been dismissed, against civilians and civilian infrastructure is investigated by Israel, and there are numerous instances of IDF soldiers facing sanctions for crimes, unlike Hamas soldiers who become public celebrities for murdering Israeli civilians. To declare an institutional policy of targeting civilian infrastructure is a woefully inaccurate.

Original post by viddy9
All of the states that you mention do, in a trivial sense, use terror tactics against their own populations, just as ISIS use terror tactics against their own population. In fact, one could argue that all states use violence, or the threat of violence, against their own populations to maintain their political system. But, when we refer to terrorism in the colloquial sense (say, terrorism by ISIS), we generally mean terror tactics used against other populations. I'm also referring to terror tactics used against other populations by the state apparatus, not by groups that they may sponsor. Fair enough, what Saudi Arabia is currently doing in Yemen may constitute state terrorism (again, using information from independent human rights organisations), but Israel's actions have gone on for far longer.

That's the last I'll say on this.

I'd hardly say wholesale human rights violations are trivial, and you've basically completely re-defined a term to suit your own agenda. ISIS are referred to as terrorists for the crimes they commit, not for who the type of people they target.
Regardless, what of Iranian troops in Syria? Russia carpet bombing of Syrian rebel towns? The many Gulf nations and Turkey that sponsor terror groups in Syria? Or Pakistani ISI sponsoring of the Taliban and Al Qaeda? To compare Israeli actions against Palestinian terror groups to those nations is absolutely astonishing frankly, and yes reeks of anti-semitism. If the situation was flipped and it was a Palestinian nation at war with 'oppressed' Israelis I have no doubt in my mind you people wouldn't give one care in the slightest. It's quite literally only Israel that seems to be an issue for you guys.

If you don't want to talk about a subject don't bring it up in the first place. You can't make an absolutely inflammatory statement and then pretend later that you want to remain 'on topic' and not discuss the matter.
Original post by KungPooPanda
the appropriate reaction is simply to boycott them but unofficially, just dont buy from them, you dont have to justify why you would rather buy from elsewhere

It's not enough to get Muslim votes..
Original post by Unkempt_One
Is the BDS movement even legal under the Equality Act 2010?

They are presumably legal, but many of their actions are not.
Original post by HucktheForde
Woahhhhh wait.... that law that prevents discrimination against nationality. . It exists?

Yes. Section 13 of the Equality Act 2010 outaws discrimination based on protected characteristics. Section 9 declares race, nationality etc to be a protected characteristic.

By refusing, for example, to allow an Israeli filmmaker to show their film at a film festival purely because they are an Israeli, you are treating them worse than you would treat someone of a different nationality, purely on the basis of their nationality, therefore it is discrimination. This can be applied to many BDS situations that discriminate against all Israelis
Original post by Underscore__
Institutions aren't protected under the equality act. It's nothing like that, boycotting and imprisoning are completely different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

EDIT: I apologise. I've already addressed this point in a earlier post.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheProblem
Down with the ZOG

Zionist occupied governments are the real fascists and threat to true Democracy

How?
Original post by GoldenFang
Yes. Section 13 of the Equality Act 2010 outaws discrimination based on protected characteristics. Section 9 declares race, nationality etc to be a protected characteristic.

By refusing, for example, to allow an Israeli filmmaker to show their film at a film festival purely because they are an Israeli, you are treating them worse than you would treat someone of a different nationality, purely on the basis of their nationality, therefore it is discrimination. This can be applied to many BDS situations that discriminate against all Israelis

International students pay more tuition fees than home students. ..:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
ISRAELMUSTPERISHFRONT500.jpg

This is considered hate speech in some countries.

But the original is Germany must perish which called for German genocide through sterilization and the breaking up of Germany. You should know that Israel has sterilized a number of African migrants.

Anyone who says the Jews didn't do anything to incite the Germans and turned public opinion against them is clueless. History is written by the victors. Germans lost. Arguably Communism won. Most Jews were a threat because they were Communists and even trying to spark a revolution in Germany.

Do I need to say how many these Communists killed?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mr007
This is considered hate speech in some countries.

But the original is Germany must perish which called for German genocide through sterilization and the breaking up of Germany. You should know that Israel has sterilized a number of African migrants.

Anyone who says the Jews didn't do anything to incite the Germans and turned public opinion against them is clueless. History is written by the victors. Germans lost. Arguably Communism won. Most Jews were a threat because they were Communists and even trying to spark a revolution in Germany.

Do I need to say how many these Communists killed?

Yes, it is true that some people called for a genocide of Germans, however they were certainly not mainstream views. The Soviets did 'ethnically cleanse' Easter Europe by forced movement of ethnic Germans, but then after WWII they moved on to persecuting Jews. How does that make sense, if they were controlled by Jews?

Israel has provided birth control to women seemingly without their consent, but probably more to do with the fact that the women did not understand the significance of the medication they were given. This practice has ceased. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-gave-birth-control-to-ethiopian-jews-without-their-consent-8468800.html

And where is your source for 'most Jews were Communists'?
(edited 8 years ago)
Why do so many people hate Israel anyway? Muslims dominate the entire middle east and half of Europe. I think the Jews deserve at least one strip of land to be safe in.
Considering the animals they are surrounded by, they obviously would need to get their hands dirty to ensure their safety.
So what? If you don't like the terms then don't borrow the money. Simples.
Original post by Unkempt_One
The set of institutions being defined on the basis of nationality.

Institutions do not have nationalities, nationality is a status of persons and their relationships to states. And the Equality Act is designed to protect persons anyway. Israeli academics can and do work at universities in other countries, and Israeli universities can and do employ non-Israeli academics.

The whole flaw with the BDS movement is that targets institutions based on an assumed responsibility for simply existing in a certain geographical area, rather than a direct contribution to human rights violations.

Well, for a start, Israeli universities are in many cases, an integral a part of the regime. They routinely produce research and work to aid the military and other branches of occupation and discrimination. Now, it's still arguable that this doesn't justify a comprehensive boycott, but it also raises other debates about levels of complicity and responsibility (not just here, but in general) that frankly, don't really have an obvious answer.

Furthermore, it should be noted that comprehensive sanctions have been routinely used by the international community to exert pressure on states (Rhodesia, Serbia, South Africa to name just a few).

Finally, a tangential point - the issue is not simply human rights per se (though obviously that is an important part of it) but the political dispute over political rights.

It's also, I dare say, possible to target institutions without explicitly forbidding the dealing with individuals in an unofficial as well as official capacity. Since you've implied this is not the case, it's obvious the problem you have is with the individuals as much as the institutions

Well, for a start I'm not a BDS representative or activist, I'm merely trying to interpret their stance. But I don't see how I've implied that at all, having never referred to unofficial contacts and interactions. Additionally, I'm also not quite sure what you're classing as 'unofficial' here?

It's a bit like if a bad bank caused a financial crisis and you decided to imprison every single employee of the bank for malpractice.

Not really, because imprisonment isn't really comparable to boycotting. It's more like, say, boycotting a publishing company because you view some activity or aspect of them as unethical, and so refusing to buy any books published by them.
Original post by Jebedee
Why do so many people hate Israel anyway? Muslims dominate the entire middle east and half of Europe. I think the Jews deserve at least one strip of land to be safe in.

Do you take this attitude to every stateless ethnic group? That they all inherently deserve a particular area of land for a state, regardless of whether that land already has inhabitants?
Original post by anarchism101
Do you take this attitude to every stateless ethnic group? That they all inherently deserve a particular area of land for a state, regardless of whether that land already has inhabitants?

Not normally, however consider the inhumane treatment of Jews. Not only by the Nazis but persecution from muslims for centuries. If I was in their position I wouldn't give two sh*ts about muslims whining wanting their land back.
Original post by Jebedee
Not normally, however consider the inhumane treatment of Jews.

I don't accept that being persecuted and oppressed grants a right to persecute and oppress others. I can accept it as a mitigating factor, of course, but that is not the same thing.

Not only by the Nazis but persecution from muslims for centuries.

What "persecution from muslims for centuries" did you have in mind? Warning in advance, dhimma is not a good example.
I don't accept that being persecuted and oppressed grants a right to persecute and oppress others. I can accept it as a mitigating factor, of course, but that is not the same thing.

What "persecution from muslims for centuries" did you have in mind? Warning in advance, dhimma is not a good example.

Why isn't it?
Original post by Jebedee
Why isn't it?

Well, for a start, it was not targeted against Jews specifically, but against all non-Muslims. The motive was to incentivise conversion to Islam, rather than anti-Semitism.

More significantly, for its time the dhimmi system was comparatively tolerant. It enshrined a level of institutionalised religious freedom unheard of in feudal Europe, where Jews, Pagans and 'heretics' were routinely hunted down, forced to convert, expelled or massacred. Non-Muslim communities often prospered despite the dhimmi restrictions. Jews in the Islamic world were, in general, more integrated, less persecuted, and more free to practice their religion than Jews in Christian Europe. Take for example Iberia. The period of Muslim rule, or at least the early centuries of it, was considered a Golden Age of prosperity for Sephardi Jewish culture. By contrast, when the Christian Spanish took over in the Reconquista, they forcibly expelled all the Jews - who moved to the Islamic world, as did most Jews fleeing Europe in the period, as they believed they would be treated better there. When the Crusades came, Levant Jewish communities fought on the Muslim side.

Obviously, by modern standards, the dhimmi system was clearly unjust and illiberal, but so was just about everything in Dark Age and Feudal times, and much of it was a lot worse. And it was abolished in the Ottoman Tanzimat reforms of the mid-19th Century, significantly before Zionism (which was, from the start, largely an ideology of European Jews) really kicked off in earnest.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
And out of the whole world, a tiny part of the Middle East is where they decided to set up camp?

I'm sure they weren't overflowing with options.

Well, for a start, it was not targeted against Jews specifically, but against all non-Muslims. The motive was to incentivise conversion to Islam, rather than anti-Semitism.

More significantly, for its time the dhimmi system was comparatively tolerant. It enshrined a level of institutionalised religious freedom unheard of in feudal Europe, where Jews, Pagans and 'heretics' were routinely hunted down, forced to convert, expelled or massacred. Non-Muslim communities often prospered despite the dhimmi restrictions. Jews in the Islamic world were, in general, more integrated, less persecuted, and more free to practice their religion than Jews in Christian Europe. Take for example Iberia. The period of Muslim rule, or at least the early centuries of it, was considered a Golden Age of prosperity for Sephardi Jewish culture. By contrast, when the Christian Spanish took over in the Reconquista, they forcibly expelled all the Jews - who moved to the Islamic world, as did most Jews fleeing Europe in the period, as they believed they would be treated better there. When the Crusades came, Levant Jewish communities fought on the Muslim side.

Obviously, by modern standards, the dhimmi system was clearly unjust and illiberal, but so was just about everything in Dark Age and Feudal times, and much of it was a lot worse. And it was abolished in the Ottoman Tanzimat reforms of the mid-19th Century, significantly before Zionism (which was, from the start, largely an ideology of European Jews) really kicked off in earnest.

I still don't think they're going to appreciate that treatment regardless.
Reply 99
jews run the world right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending