The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leavingthecity

Please not a Dan Brown quote.

The ultimate scientific authority. :toofunny:
Reply 401
Pascal's Wager poses somewhat logical reasoning, if you're neckbeard enough
Original post by Xedar

Until you come to consider that no self-respecting creator god would be fooled by such transparent prevarication.
Reply 403
Original post by Xedar

What if you pick the wrong god and you're just making the right one angrier and angrier...?
Original post by Lehoe
What if you pick the wrong god and you're just making the right one angrier and angrier...?

Easy, just use a larger decision matrix
Religious texts do a very efficient job in discrediting themselves without the help of science by contradicting their own teachings.

I cannot account for all religious books, however the Quran has proved itself to be true many times using science.
It mentioned that the world was round (similar to an egg shape) 1400 years ago.
It also describe the process of birth. There was no way of retrieving this information back then.
Original post by m.al-hussain
I cannot account for all religious books, however the Quran has proved itself to be true many times using science.
It also describe the process of birth. There was no way of retrieving this information back then.

Quotation please!
Darwin himself, in his second edition of the Origin, had written in the conclusion:
"I believe that animals have descended from at most only four or five progenitors, and plants from an equal or lesser number. Analogy would lead me one step further, namely, to the belief that all animals and plants have descended from some one prototype. But analogy may be a deceitful guide. Nevertheless all living things have much in common, in their chemical composition, their germinal vesicles, their cellular structure, and their laws of growth and reproduction. We see this even in so trifling a circumstance as that the same poison often similarly affects plants and animals; or that the poison secreted by the gall-fly produces monstrous growths on the wild rose or oak-tree. I should infer from analogy that probably all the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth have descended from some one primordial form, into which life was first breathed by the Creator.— Chapter XIV: "Conclusions", page 428

Theistic Evolution all the way !
Original post by koolgurl14
Darwin himself, in his second edition of the Origin, had written in the conclusion:
"I believe that animals have descended from at most only four or five progenitors, and plants from an equal or lesser number. Analogy would lead me one step further, namely, to the belief that all animals and plants have descended from some one prototype. But analogy may be a deceitful guide. Nevertheless all living things have much in common, in their chemical composition, their germinal vesicles, their cellular structure, and their laws of growth and reproduction. We see this even in so trifling a circumstance as that the same poison often similarly affects plants and animals; or that the poison secreted by the gall-fly produces monstrous growths on the wild rose or oak-tree. I should infer from analogy that probably all the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth have descended from some one primordial form, into which life was first breathed by the Creator.— Chapter XIV: "Conclusions", page 428

But why????!!!!!!!

Actually, it appears you have fundamentally misunderstood the quote. The usage of 'The creator' is very ambiguous and in no way points specifically to a God. The creator could mean the big bang or other such events.

Also theistic evolution is an oxymoron. Theism is generally understood to be a belief in religious texts and teachings. These texts and teachings are adamant that we just 'came into being'; which is an impossibility. To say Darwin was theist is wrong. He was a religious man who only followed elements of the bible.
But why????!!!!!!!

Why what ... it just makes life easier, just search theistic evolution.
Original post by TheOpinion
Actually, it appears you have fundamentally misunderstood the quote. The usage of 'The creator' is very ambiguous and in no way points specifically to a God. The creator could mean the big bang or other such events.

Also theistic evolution is an oxymoron. Theism is generally understood to be a belief in religious texts and teachings. These texts and teachings are adamant that we just 'came into being'; which is an impossibility. To say Darwin was theist is wrong. He was a religious man who only followed elements of the bible.

Just like you said the creator could be anyone or anything and for today we all have the right to choose whoever it is wether you want it to be god jesus allah big bang.
Just like you said the creator could be anyone or anything and for today we all have the right to choose whoever it is wether you want it to be god jesus allah big bang.

Two paths

Religion=Delusion

Darwinism=Partial Truths

Darwinism is very basic and doesnt contain much room for theoretical changes. If you are basing you evolution purely on Darwinism, you need to do some more research on evolution
Why what ... it just makes life easier, just search theistic evolution.

I know what it is but I'm not really interested in making life easier. I like it non-trivial.
the Quran has proved itself to be true many times using science.

This silly specious claim has been destroyed so many times that it has become a tedious subject for discussion.
I know what it is but I'm not really interested in making life easier. I like it non-trivial.

That's weird way of wanting to live your short life especially considering that you only have this one short life
Original post by TheOpinion
Two paths

Religion=Delusion

Darwinism=Partial Truths

Darwinism is very basic and doesnt contain much room for theoretical changes. If you are basing you evolution purely on Darwinism, you need to do some more research on evolution

Don't worry I have done loads of research as I am planning to be a geneticist.
That's weird way of wanting to live your short life especially considering that you only have this one short life

Not at all, I couldn't possibly absorb/ discover for myself all there is to know about the world around me in all it's richness in one lifetime. It's a challenge, a pleasure, a luxury to learn and research and achieve a greater level of knowledge, whether it's a personal past time, an activity you do with your family, or a full time job. You could even use the knowledge to benefit those around you, for example, using a knowledge of nuclear physics to develop diagnostic tools for detecting cancer. Sometimes I just go outside and watch the night sky and take in it's beauty magnified by my knowledge of it's non trivial nature, and consider it an hour of my life very much enjoyed and well spent.

Ignorance isn't bliss, they just say that.
Don't worry I have done loads of research as I am planning to be a geneticist.

Then surely you would know that darwinism is simply a basis for evolution theory?

also big bang theory was described in Qur'an

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending