The Student Room Group

What does this french sentence mean?

A quelle mesure le roman que vous avez étudié a-t-il un rapport avec, et de l’importance pour, la vie en 2016 ?

My teacher gave me this as a task but dont even know what it mean first

Merci
Original post by GeologyMaths
A quelle mesure le roman que vous avez étudié a-t-il un rapport avec, et de l’importance pour, la vie en 2016 ?

Merci

To what extent does the novel you have studied have a relationship with, and importance for, life in 2016?
To what extent does the novel you have studied show a connection to, and the importance of, life in 2016?

Merci

Did she said it like that ? Because quelle mesure" is totally wrong 😱😱 -> dans quelle mesure
And the "," were totally useless , that makes the sentence really really weird.. I mean that makes sense anyway ! But quite weird :P
Original post by FrenchUnicorn

And the "," were totally useless , that makes the sentence really really weird.. I mean that makes sense anyway ! But quite weird :P

The commas were both necessary to separating the subordinate clause they frame and helpful in making the sentence readable and understandable. The space in front of one of them was merely a typo.
Original post by Good bloke
The commas were both necessary to separating the subordinate clause they frame and helpful in making the sentence readable and understandable. The space in front of one of them was merely a typo.

What I wanted to say was if the "," (commas right ?) were not here , the sentence would have more sense. That's not wrong to put them here , but absolutely not necessary !

Edit : mmh maybe after "avec" it's okay, but definitely not after "pour" in this sentence I think :3
(edited 8 years ago)
What I wanted to say was if the "," (commas right ?) were not here , the sentence would have more sense. That's not wrong to put them here , but absolutely not necessary !

Of course they are necessary.

To what extent does the novel you have studied have a relationship with and importance for life in 2016?

Your version, sans commas, leaves "with" completely unconnected with the next word in the main clause ("life"), and the subordinate clause utterly unflagged.

To what extent does the novel you have studied have a relationship with and importance for life in 2016?

Your version, sans commas, leaves "with" completely unconnected with the next word in the main clause ("life":wink:, and the subordinate clause utterly unflagged.

Of course not :P

In english okay !! Agree ^^ but not in french ! Ask an other french and you'll see ! I swear to you that this sentence is not perfect , Okay that's quite correct , but not perfect !

Your version, sans commas, leaves "with" completely unconnected with the next word in the main clause ("life":wink:, and the subordinate clause utterly unflagged.

I dont even understand what it means in english? Please could you explain it please. I got lost at "relationship with and ... 2016"

Of course not :P

In english okay !! Agree ^^ but not in french ! Ask an other french and you'll see ! I swear to you that this sentence is not perfect , Okay that's quite correct , but not perfect !
I dont even understand what it means in english? Please could you explain it please. I got lost at "relationship with and ... 2016"

The mind boggles!

You have been reading a novel (one hopes).

You need to discuss, in an essay:

(a) whether and how the novel is related to life in 2016 (and how much), and

(b) whether and how the novel has any importance for life in 2016.

I suggest you look at the themes of the story, as well as its setting and plot.

The mind boggles!

You have been reading a novel (one hopes).

You need to discuss, in an essay:

(a) whether and how the novel is related to life in 2016 (and how much), and

(b) whether and how the novel has any importance for life in 2016.

I suggest you look at the themes of the story, as well as its setting and plot.

Ok but the Q is really weirdly worded, thanks mate
Ok but the Q is really weirdly worded, thanks mate

It looks like a typical exam question or homework assignment to me - not weird at all.
It looks like a typical exam question or homework assignment to me - not weird at all.

Thanks mate :smile: are you fluent in french?
Thanks mate :smile: are you fluent in french?

Non.
Non.

No probs. I was just wondering whether you could simply rate my essay /10, without correcting it since my teacher will do that
No probs. I was just wondering whether you could simply rate my essay /10, without correcting it since my teacher will do that

I don't think my French is up to that.
I don't think my French is up to that.

To what extent does the novel you have studied have a relationship with, and importance for, life in 2016?

Original post by Blondie987
To what extent does the novel you have studied show a connection to, and the importance of, life in 2016?

"Analysez l'image de la societe qui est presente dans le livre que t'as etudie"
I understand what it means but dont know know how to answer it. Please could you give me help :smile:
"Analysez l'image de la societe qui est presente dans le livre que t'as etudie"
I understand what it means but dont know know how to answer it. Please could you give me help :smile:

I don't know how to answer this without giving the English translation as it seems quite straightforward to me.

What image of society is presented in the book: What are its characteristics? Why did you identify these characteristics? Can they be deduced from the characters and their behaviour, or from the narrative? Does the author take a stance on a particular feature(s) - moral aspects of it, maybe, attitudes, its wealth etc - and if so what is that stance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending