The Student Room Group

How hard are languages at A-level?

Can anyone with experience at doing languages at A-level tell me how they found it? What was the workload like? How difficult did you find the exams?

Thanks!
Original post by luciie
Can anyone with experience at doing languages at A-level tell me how they found it? What was the workload like? How difficult did you find the exams?

Thanks!

Depends how good you are. I'm pretty good at French (relative to my class at GCSE, my AS class last year and my A2 class this year) so I don't find it too bad. You will get different opinions on the workload, but I would say that French is the most manageable subject out of my three: Psychology and Human Biology
Reply 2
I'm taking Alevel french at the moment and i can't wait to drop it! If you love languages then go ahead and take it, but it is VERY different to GCSE, GCSE french was a memorisation game, if you want to take Alevel french your grammar has to be on point!
Gcse - 1/10
As - 3/10
A2 - 6.5/10
Original post by GeologyMaths
Gcse - 1/10
As - 3/10
A2 - 6.5/10

Out of interest, what other subjects are you doing and how would you rate those in terms of difficulty?
Original post by rileystringer1
Out of interest, what other subjects are you doing and how would you rate those in terms of difficulty?

I referred to that as AS&A2 French :smile: i'm doing Maths & Geology.

For Maths-
Gcse - 2.5/10
As - 4/10
A2 - 6/10

For Geology-
As - 3/10
A2 - 5/10

What about you mate?
For me French is a hard subject that requires a lot of commitment. I personally find the lessons quite easy but it's just there is a lot to learn and understand. As people have said, it is COMPLETELY different to GCSE
I did German and Arabic, German was ok with a bit of revision which involved watching German documentaries and I got my A* but Arabic was too hard luckily scraped an A by two marks.. oh and neither are my first/second language, Just had a genuine interest in them.

ps. I also spent three days in Germany and a week in Dubai - went on holiday but obvs I chose these places particulrly...

Quick Reply

Latest