The Student Room Group

Can I refuse to do a GCSE?

I'm in year 11 and my GCSEs are coming up fast. Last year I was practically forced into taking history so that I could get an EBacc. Which, I was fine with. But then I failed my French by one mark. I never liked history and now I have no interest in it. I struggle with remembering dates and the specific details of events. Meaning I've failed all the mock exams for history.
Is there a way for me to not do the GCSE this late on into the year? In the mocks I haven't been able to write a single word, it would be pointless for me to sit in an exam room to do nothing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lucy-A-R
I'm in year 11 and my GCSEs are coming up fast. Last year I was practically forced into taking history so that I could get an EBacc. Which, I was fine with. But then I failed my French by one mark. I never liked history and now I have no interest in it. I struggle with remembering dates and the specific details of events. Meaning I've failed all the mock exams for history.
Is there a way for me to not do the GCSE this late on into the year? In the mocks I haven't been able to write a single word, it would be pointless for me to sit in an exam room to do nothing.

Yes - just talk to your school
Yes you can drop subjects. talk to your school about it
Reply 3

That's not the attitude.

You've only got a few months left, make the most of it.
Reply 4
You could drop the subject but I suggest you don't and History is a highly respected subject and the ebacc is a very good to have. I personally love GCSE History and it's my favourite subject and starting revision one week before the mock got me a solid A grade only 2% of the A* boundary. I suggest you make notes and read through them that's what I did but naturally I am good with dates and events it may not be the same with you but History is just memorising information which is not the hardest if you're prepared to put the effort into it.
Reply 5
Don't want to sound patronising but GCSEs are not that hard to pass. You don't need to drop history, just revise from the textbook and you'll be fine. Even if you get like a D or a C it's no biggie unless you want to do it at A Level ofc.
Original post by Tinka99
You could drop the subject but I suggest you don't and History is a highly respected subject and the ebacc is a very good to have. I personally love GCSE History and it's my favourite subject and starting revision one week before the mock got me a solid A grade only 2% of the A* boundary. I suggest you make notes and read through them that's what I did but naturally I am good with dates and events it may not be the same with you but History is just memorising information which is not the hardest if you're prepared to put the effort into it.

I won't get the EBacc since I didn't pass French. I want to go into media and at my college interview was told that me failing history wouldn't matter to them, so I just don't see the point in doing it. The subject stresses me out too much and I have a lot going on in home life at the minute, it's just getting too much and I'd rather focus on my core subjects instead. Though, my school isn't very supportive and might not allow me to drop the subject anyways. I don't know how I can remember anything when my head is so cluttered.
Reply 7
I won't get the EBacc since I didn't pass French. I want to go into media and at my college interview was told that me failing history wouldn't matter to them, so I just don't see the point in doing it. The subject stresses me out too much and I have a lot going on in home life at the minute, it's just getting too much and I'd rather focus on my core subjects instead. Though, my school isn't very supportive and might not allow me to drop the subject anyways. I don't know how I can remember anything when my head is so cluttered.

Wait don't you do the French exams in June? If you took them a year early or something you could always resit the french in Summer 2016. Please don't underestimate yourself because you're clearly you have the capability to get a C if you were only one mark of it.

As regards to History if it is causing unnecessary stress drop it but it's a subject that is loved by universities and employers and if you manage to pass the French with a C and get at least a C in History you would have the ebacc. I love History even though it can be a hard subject at times.

In regards to dropping a subject you need to talk to your school. I managed to convince my school to let me drop GCSE Statistics with a letter from my dad. I was being entered for foundation while I am entered for higher in all of my other subjects and the school wanted me to do it to increase their results. Get a letter from your parents because the school would than have to take you seriously. They can brush you of but not your parents.

Quick Reply

Latest