The Student Room Group

Should we give money to beggars?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I prefer giving food, usually to homeless people who arent sitting there smoking. However last easter one homeless guy i always use to see put a price tag on all the food and easter eggs he was given and was selling them. I saw him coming off the tube too with all his belongings going towards his usual homeless spot. I like to think he was genuine though. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by hogree
By giving to the poor, I meant that it's critical as a society to all take a responsibility to provide for those who are in need. I'm on your side with just dropping coins into a coffee cup - it doesn't do any good at all.

People in need = disabled, refugees etc.
People not in need = drug addicts
I'll give them food and water. What they do with the stuff after is not my problem but I've stopped giving money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Viva Emptiness
You might have to be a bit more specific.

To suggest that not giving money to street beggars is as a result of being on a power trip.
Original post by Reue
To suggest that not giving money to street beggars is as a result of being on a power trip.

Not specifically giving money when one would ordinarily give "food and water", yes.
Reply 45
Just today I gave a homeless man a sausage roll from greggs, I never give them money since they could waste it on alcohol, fags or even drugs, I'm not about to be responsible for supporting someone ugly habit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheNote
This, just today I gave a homeless man a sausage roll from greggs, I never give them money since they could waste it on alcohol, fags or even drugs, I'm not about to be responsible for supporting someone ugly habit.

That's literally the opposite of the opinion I'm espousing on this thread.
Reply 47
why do you all assume homeless people are druggies or drink? i can't believe only me and someone else ticked the top one :frown:
Reply 48
That's literally the opposite of the opinion I'm espousing on this thread.

Sorry bub, whats so wrong about giving food?

Original post by lilylf
why do you all assume homeless people are druggies or drink? i can't believe only me and someone else ticked the top one :frown:

Because you are deluded if you think that people who live on the street don't drink/smoke/take drugs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by TheNote
Because you are deluded if you think that people who live on the street don't drink/smoke/take drugs.
/

Some may drink,smoke, do drugs etc. but ways less than you think. A lot of homeless people were kicked out of their home, a lot are teens whose parent kick them out for being transgender or gay/lesbian. Some people simply cannot afford rent and have to live on the streets. Your thinking is simply stereotypical. My uncle would of been homeless if he didn't have family to take him in as he couldn't afford rent after he got fired from his job for no reason.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheNote
Sorry bub, whats so wrong about giving food?

Absolutely nothing wrong with giving food, I'm sure they are incredibly grateful.

I just object to the people who flat-our refuse to give money, usually on the basis that they assume they will be fuelling a "nasty habit".

What kind of difference to these people think they are really making to the life of that person? Do they think that by buying them food instead of giving them some change they will stop their habit (if they even have one) and turn their lives around?

The likely option of course is that they will eat the food or whatever, and then procure the money to fund their habits by other means, which I can assure you will be far less glamorous than begging on the street.
Reply 51
I do occasionally if they look genuine/cold which is quite rare.

I absolutely wouldn't give anything to the recent influx of romanian(mostly) beggars who are usually part of criminal gangs. Basically the woman sit and beg in city centres while the men are out housebreaking etc.

I have also seen people begging, sat there playing with there fancy iphones and very well fed dogs which is hilarious. It's a career for some, especially down in london.

I also know of someone who used to go into costa and buy coffees for homeless people outside, and on one occasion she was told, I don't want that f******* s**** I want money. Most get plenty food at the shelters and sadly the money they are after is going on drink/drugs.

There is of course a few homeless people, who are just there through no fault of there own. It's usually the ones that don't say a word when you pass actually.
Reply 52
Depends. I'll often give old time tramps (wayfarers) or hobos a bit of money, buy them something to eat, or a pack of cigarettes.

I will not give young, apparently able (but obviously workshy or stoned or both) people sitting on the sidewalk with "homeless and hungry" signs (surrounded by a pack of dogs) a penny.
generally give whatever change I have to beggars. Dunno if they're genuine or not usually aren't most of the time they aren't but it doesn't hurt me financially and in the rare case they are genuine could be helping someone get a room for a night.
Original post by Reue
Not frequently.

Well you have absolutely no place to tell those who give money to the homeless to instead give money to charity.

And I'm also not at all surprised by your answer, you are as tight as a ducks arse.
Reply 55
Original post by Twinpeaks
Well you have absolutely no place to tell those who give money to the homeless to instead give money to charity.

And I'm also not at all surprised by your answer, you are as tight as a ducks arse.

You have no idea of the charity money or work I do and given your attitude I'd like to keep it that way,

Keep your spiteful opinions to yourself.
Absolutely nothing wrong with giving food, I'm sure they are incredibly grateful.

I just object to the people who flat-our refuse to give money, usually on the basis that they assume they will be fuelling a "nasty habit".

What kind of difference to these people think they are really making to the life of that person? Do they think that by buying them food instead of giving them some change they will stop their habit (if they even have one) and turn their lives around?

The likely option of course is that they will eat the food or whatever, and then procure the money to fund their habits by other means, which I can assure you will be far less glamorous than begging on the street.
*throws a few coins at yeh*

go fuel that nasty habit then
Original post by trustmeimlying1
*throws a few coins at yeh*

go fuel that nasty habit then

As an attempt at trying to be funny or clever, that makes no sense whatsoever.
Most beggars I see in the UK are Romanian or Slovakian etc
Reply 59
Original post by lilylf

Original post by lilylf
/

Some may drink,smoke, do drugs etc. but ways less than you think. A lot of homeless people were kicked out of their home, a lot are teens whose parent kick them out for being transgender or gay/lesbian. Some people simply cannot afford rent and have to live on the streets. Your thinking is simply stereotypical. My uncle would of been homeless if he didn't have family to take him in as he couldn't afford rent after he got fired from his job for no reason.

I don't see any teens on the street of Cardiff since they are often given hostels and free money from the council, and i see a whole lot of drinking/smoking homeless people at night, maybe if they wanted my money they could stop using it on habits that won't help them out of their mess.

My girlfriend was homeless, so i know what it's like for someone to become homeless all of a sudden.

I'd rather not be responsible for giving them the access to those drugs myself through cash, they can choose to fund their habit in some other way but it won't be because of me. If they choose to commit a crime then so be it, their character clearly wasn't that of someone i should've given money too.

Either way giving money is silly, giving food, blankets, clothes, free showers etc. is much better, giving money to charities that can help to get them out of homelessness permanently is far better.

Sure most of them are on the street legitimately and not because of their use of drugs/alcoholism, however when I give someone food i know my money will do them good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending