The Student Room Group

Anybody else applying through CLEARING 2016?

Hi guys,

So basically I messed up my UCAS application by applying and sending off my application when I wasn't 100% sure whether I wanted to go to uni or not - resulting in me choosing the wrong courses at the wrong uni's:angry::frown:.

Now I have to wait until clearing until I can re-apply. I'm going to apply to Portsmouth, Southampton, Brighton, and the last 2 i still need to narrow down.

I was wondering whether anybody else is applying through clearing this year? Am i the only one in this position? And do you reckon I'd get through?? I've always achieved B's throughout my A-levels.

Is anybody out there that's currently at uni thanks to clearing?

Thanks all!:smile:x
Original post by katielouise_a
Hi guys,

So basically I messed up my UCAS application by applying and sending off my application when I wasn't 100% sure whether I wanted to go to uni or not - resulting in me choosing the wrong courses at the wrong uni's:angry::frown:.

Now I have to wait until clearing until I can re-apply. I'm going to apply to Portsmouth, Southampton, Brighton, and the last 2 i still need to narrow down.

I was wondering whether anybody else is applying through clearing this year? Am i the only one in this position? And do you reckon I'd get through?? I've always achieved B's throughout my A-levels.

Is anybody out there that's currently at uni thanks to clearing?

Thanks all!:smile:x

You don't have to wait until Clearing. UCAS Extra is designed specifically for people in your situation.

In both Clearing and Extra you can make informal enquiries and get informal offers but you can only submit your application to a single university/course at a time.
Original post by PQ
You don't have to wait until Clearing. UCAS Extra is designed specifically for people in your situation.

In both Clearing and Extra you can make informal enquiries and get informal offers but you can only submit your application to a single university/course at a time.

Thanks so much, is it too late for UCAS extra though? Do i have to pay?
Thanks so much, is it too late for UCAS extra though? Do i have to pay?

UCAS Extra opens next week. If you had more than 1 choice initially then you don't pay any more to use Extra - you just have to decline any offers you've received. https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices
Original post by PQ
UCAS Extra opens next week. If you had more than 1 choice initially then you don't pay any more to use Extra - you just have to decline any offers you've received. https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices

You've helped me so much already, thank you! By 'if you had more than 1 choice initially' what do you mean?

I used up all 5 of my choices, and had 1 conditional offer straight away, and then invites to interviews but didn't turn up as they wern't what i wanted
You've helped me so much already, thank you! By 'if you had more than 1 choice initially' what do you mean?

I used up all 5 of my choices, and had 1 conditional offer straight away, and then invites to interviews but didn't turn up as they wern't what i wanted

Then you wont have to pay any more. UCAS has 2 prices - the full price (if you apply for more than 1 choice) and a discount price if you only apply to a single course. If you'd used the discount price then you'd have to pay the difference to use Extra (or add more choices or use Clearing).

You'll need to decline or withdraw from your current 5 choices in order to use Extra - it's like Clearing but over a longer period so there's less pressure and more time to do your research. Ring around a number of places about applying through Extra to see if they're open and likely to make you an offer....then once you've got a few positive responses over the phone apply to your favourite through Extra.

You've already rushed into 5 choices that you've regretted - so make sure that your extra choice is somewhere you'll be delighted to go to and a course you love and somewhere that you're likely to get an offer for.
Original post by PQ
Then you wont have to pay any more. UCAS has 2 prices - the full price (if you apply for more than 1 choice) and a discount price if you only apply to a single course. If you'd used the discount price then you'd have to pay the difference to use Extra (or add more choices or use Clearing).

You'll need to decline or withdraw from your current 5 choices in order to use Extra - it's like Clearing but over a longer period so there's less pressure and more time to do your research. Ring around a number of places about applying through Extra to see if they're open and likely to make you an offer....then once you've got a few positive responses over the phone apply to your favourite through Extra.

You've already rushed into 5 choices that you've regretted - so make sure that your extra choice is somewhere you'll be delighted to go to and a course you love and somewhere that you're likely to get an offer for.

That's so helpful thank you. I'm going to look into it, and talk to my head of year at sixthform on monday about it all. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending