The Student Room Group

Visiting my gf ldr

So ive been with my girlfriend for 3 years but i havent seen her in a year and a half, as she lives in bilbao, spain and i live in london. Im 19 and she's 17. I really want to go to visit her, however my parents wont let me. Theyve always been over protective and controlling but i mean im 19 now.... surely they should let me?? One, they say it costs too much to fly there (its like £100 for a return ticket) and two, they refuse to let me stay at my girlfriends house as i might drink too much/have sex etc. Even though her parents in spain are ok with it. Should i go anyway cuz theoretically my parents cant tell me what to do anymore? I really wanna go and she really wants to see me and im worried that our relationship is gonna break down soon cuz of the distance, but we both really wanna make it work. Thanks so much!!
Reply 1
At 19 you're legally an adult and you can do whatever you want. If you want to go, then go!
Reply 2
You can't go, you're not old enough to make decisions yourself.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Impressive
You can't go, you're not old enough to make decisions yourself.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

But what if my parents completely disown me after? Cuz i still live with them
Reply 4
Original post by Darien91
At 19 you're legally an adult and you can do whatever you want. If you want to go, then go!

Im just worried that my parents will be horrible to me after cuz i live with them still, they say that as long as im living in their house then i have to abide by their rules so theyre not letting me go, even though im 19
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
But what if my parents completely disown me after? Cuz i still live with them

They shouldn't. Unless they don't love you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
beta male, you probs shouldn't
So ive been with my girlfriend for 3 years but i havent seen her in a year and a half, as she lives in bilbao, spain and i live in london. Im 19 and she's 17. I really want to go to visit her, however my parents wont let me. Theyve always been over protective and controlling but i mean im 19 now.... surely they should let me?? One, they say it costs too much to fly there (its like £100 for a return ticket) and two, they refuse to let me stay at my girlfriends house as i might drink too much/have sex etc. Even though her parents in spain are ok with it. Should i go anyway cuz theoretically my parents cant tell me what to do anymore? I really wanna go and she really wants to see me and im worried that our relationship is gonna break down soon cuz of the distance, but we both really wanna make it work. Thanks so much!!

Get her to visit you? would that work?
Reply 8
Original post by thefatone
Get her to visit you? would that work?

She has come to visit but idk she just doesnt like coming to london...id really like to visit and theoretically i can but its just idk if I should
She has come to visit but idk she just doesnt like coming to london...id really like to visit and theoretically i can but its just idk if I should

ah fair enough

Lie to your parents and tell them you're going on holiday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then tell them you won't drink and have sex?
tbh if it was me, I'd just tell them what it's happening. like hey: I'm being nice by telling you, but I'm off to see my girlfriend of 3 years kkkk bye

but this means you have to pay for it all yourself etc
You haven't seen her in a year and a half, wow!
Strange relationship when you haven't seen your 'girlfriend' in 18months in person...
Original post by Milzime
tbh if it was me, I'd just tell them what it's happening. like hey: I'm being nice by telling you, but I'm off to see my girlfriend of 3 years kkkk bye

but this means you have to pay for it all yourself etc

The flights are cheap i can afford them and i get free accommodation if i stay at her house so its not too expensive. I guess i can try that and see what happens but they dont want me to go lol and i said i wont drink or have sex but they dont trust me
The flights are cheap i can afford them and i get free accommodation if i stay at her house so its not too expensive. I guess i can try that and see what happens but they dont want me to go lol and i said i wont drink or have sex but they dont trust me

if they're like 'on you cannot gooooo we do not trust youuuuuu'

just be like

okay fine, whether you trust me or not, you need to accept I am an adult. I am trying to be nice by letting you know I will be going to Spain for [however long] and I'm leaving [blah blah] returning [blah blah] and if you want to say goodbye before I'd go that would be lovely

ADIOS
Original post by Milzime
if they're like 'on you cannot gooooo we do not trust youuuuuu'

just be like

okay fine, whether you trust me or not, you need to accept I am an adult. I am trying to be nice by letting you know I will be going to Spain for [however long] and I'm leaving [blah blah] returning [blah blah] and if you want to say goodbye before I'd go that would be lovely

ADIOS

But then would that count as being rude to them? Or would they like accept my decision?
But then would that count as being rude to them? Or would they like accept my decision?

the point is they have to
*shrug*

they might think it's rude but you're doing everything you can to let them know etc etc and you're an adult and they cannot stop you. The only way they would see it as rude is because their attitude towards you is warped: they still don't accept you as an adult (this is my gauging of the situation)
Original post by Milzime
the point is they have to
*shrug*

they might think it's rude but you're doing everything you can to let them know etc etc and you're an adult and they cannot stop you. The only way they would see it as rude is because their attitude towards you is warped: they still don't accept you as an adult (this is my gauging of the situation)

Youre right. I really wanna go and see her so probably in the hols if there are some cheap flights (they can be as cheap as £30 return cuz bilbao isnt very touristy) i'll probably go. Thanks for helping, i really wanna make this relationship work haha but its gonna be difficult....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending