The Student Room Group

North Korea is an infinitely bigger threat than ISIS, why aren't we intervening?

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry we have Linda on standby
Original post by greatguy180
Iraq wasnt a direct threat to the uk either but we still got involved.

And why was that?:colonhash:

because oil $$$
nk ain't gots no oil
Cos Kim Jong-un is too hot to handle. :ahee::ahee:
Reply 23
Iraq wasnt a direct threat to the uk either but we still got involved.

And why was that?:colonhash:

Money and power.

For oil. For the powerful geographical location. And to give the west a good foot hold in the area. They may not of been a threat to UK and US mainland, but they were a major threat to the west's affairs in the middle east.
Original post by Frank Underwood
North Korea recently tested a hydrogen bomb, and launched a satellite which has been determined by experts to be at an ineffective orbital height for regular satellite purposes, so its likely to be nuclear related.

Why are we trying to crush terrorist groups who can inflict a death toll of between 5 and 200 deaths in one attack on westerners, when we have individuals like Kim Jong Un openly threatening to violate the UN and launch nuclear weapons?

I think the government should not be discussing what to do about a terrorist group, similar to those which have already existed for decades, and instead discuss how to make sure that North Korea never ever launched a nuclear weapon. And the same applies to the living conditions in North Korea, I believe they are as bad, if not worse than the conditions in Syria. In Syria, people are able to move and are actively leaving the country, whereas in North Korea it is much more difficult to leave.

Sorting out North Korea would relieve a massive human rights violation and prevent the possibility of a nuclear war started by Kim Jong Un. Sorting out ISIS, so far, has done nothing for us apart from make the UK look to be co-operating with other European countries.

There are many reasons for why the West is choosing to deal with ISIS rather than NK as of now. First of which, is ISIS is a more immediate risk while North Korea is more long term. ISIS is a lot closer to Europe and with effective internet campaigns they could easily organize terror plots in the whole of the West. North Korea has soviet era weaponry, and outdated tech. They could, as someone above mentioned, attack South Korea, Japan, and maybe some US islands, but more than likely aren't capable of hitting the US mainland or Europe.

2nd of which is,(also mentioned above) if military action is used on NK there's a chance for blowback from China, and no one wants that. Despite the fact that the West could no doubt handle almost any war (NATO spending accounts for 70% of world's defense spending, that's not including other allies including possible EU countries, Japan, South Korea, Australia, etc.) , the cost economically, politically, and in terms of human lives would be sickening.

The final reason, at least that I have, is that the West's leaders are more than likely planning on time working in their favor. They assume eventually sanctions will do their damage, a civil war will happen, or the regime will collapse in plenty of other ways. This bet is really really dangerous considering the other outcome where NK develops more sophisticated weaponry and can actually strike the mainland US or Europe, but odds are, honestly, they'll collapse before that happens.
Reply 25
Original post by sleepysnooze
because oil $$$
nk ain't gots no oil

Or because taking down north Korea would kill millions of people and cost around 3 trillion dollars.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If the west declared war on North korea then NK would nuke anyone it can.

Removing nuclear weapons does not consist of an invasion, especially given that China has massive influence over them and I don't see why it wouldn't be in their self interest to remove nuclear weapons.
Original post by Aj12
Or because taking down north Korea would kill millions of people and cost around 3 trillion dollars.

Posted from TSR Mobile

didn't the war in iraq kill hundreds of thousands and also cost a few trillion dollars collectively?
Original post by Aj12

Posted from TSR Mobile

That didn't stop the Vietnam war...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by sleepysnooze
didn't the war in iraq kill hundreds of thousands and also cost a few trillion dollars collectively?

Indeed and a war on the Korean peninsular would make the Iraq war look like a picnic.
Reply 30
Meanwhile at OP's house:

Original post by Aj12
Indeed and a war on the Korean peninsular would make the Iraq war look like a picnic.

but oil $$$ if they killed for oil once under the guise of security and democracy then why not in NK? the difference in deaths is simply a statistic to them, surely? or do you suppose it would be a matter of the government losing respect? that didn't stop them trying to bomb assad two years ago
Whilst North Korea is a potential threat, I'm genuinely not sure what kind of intervention would help. As imperfect a solution as it is, I think the only option we really have available to us is to continue putting pressure on their government, give humanitarian aid to their people and hope that the regime destabilises sometime soon (and hope that China and South Korea are willing to deal with the social fallout of such a destabilisation). According to accounts that I've read from defectors, the regime is not as stable as it once was.
North Korea recently tested a hydrogen bomb, and launched a satellite which has been determined by experts to be at an ineffective orbital height for regular satellite purposes, so its likely to be nuclear related.

Why are we trying to crush terrorist groups who can inflict a death toll of between 5 and 200 deaths in one attack on westerners, when we have individuals like Kim Jong Un openly threatening to violate the UN and launch nuclear weapons?

I think the government should not be discussing what to do about a terrorist group, similar to those which have already existed for decades, and instead discuss how to make sure that North Korea never ever launched a nuclear weapon. And the same applies to the living conditions in North Korea, I believe they are as bad, if not worse than the conditions in Syria. In Syria, people are able to move and are actively leaving the country, whereas in North Korea it is much more difficult to leave.

Sorting out North Korea would relieve a massive human rights violation and prevent the possibility of a nuclear war started by Kim Jong Un. Sorting out ISIS, so far, has done nothing for us apart from make the UK look to be co-operating with other European countries.

If the us wanted to flatten n Korea then they would.
Beating a much weaker state without fully functioning wmd's is much easier and quicker than beating ideology

Posted from TSR Mobile

If North Korea attacks anyone it will be America, I doubt they have the capability to send a bomb there and if they did we would shoot it down before it reached America. So there is no threat to the United Kingdom as such from North Korea and if there is we could always use trident to show them whats what. Also if you believe what the North Koreans say you are on to a loser, They may well have bomb capabilities but who says they will use them. World War 3 will start with Israel attacking Iran. The communists (Russia ) Will jump in on Iran's side and USA & UK will be on Israel's side. Take everything North Korea Says with a pinch of salt, because to there knowledge North Korea won the World cup 2014.
Destroy Kim jong and his buddies
Original post by Sameerio
Destroy Kim jong and his buddies

Ok you go ahead I don't want to pay for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
US also tested H-bomb.

1455920342140.jpg

US also violated human rights.
https://www.hrw.org/united-states

US also took no care of poor people.

1455920390595.jpg

US is actually the bigger threat than North Korea . Why aren't we intervening?

Because we also got brainwashed by US mass media!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP is wrong, OP also doesn't know what infinite means.
This undermines the UN in every way, massive powerful countries preventing us from enforcing rules which need to be there.

**cough**cough** israel **cough**

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending