The Student Room Group

Becoming a HR professional, change of HND course

Hello and welcome everyone, it is my first post here :smile:.

I would like to ask you how to become a human resources professional?
I am an HND in hospitality management student in City College, London. I have chosen this course as I have 3 years of experience working in restaurant, cafes and shop, so I wanted something similar. It is my first year.

Before I started this course I was thinking about career as an manager of restaurant/cafe, but I have changed my mind. I would like to work in human resources kind of job.

Can I change my course and do my second year of HND doing other subject? I think I would have to change my college as well, as they offer business studies, not business with HR.

How to start getting into that job? I am trying to get a part time job as an HR trainee or something similar.
Maybe I will try to get an intership during my summer break.
Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Geraltt

I would like to ask you how to become a human resources professional?

Maybe have a look at the CIPD website for routes into the profession.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Have a look at the CIPD website for routes into the profession.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I founded them already. But what with my HND? I think to change to a business course on my second year and then maybe do level 5 diploma from CIPD.
Reply 3
Original post by Geraltt
Thank you, I founded them already. But what with my HND? I think to change to a business course on my second year and then maybe do level 5 diploma from CIPD.

You probably need to ask you college about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
You probably need to ask you college about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thank you, I will ask. I am just confused if do to top up degree after my HND at uni of go for CIPD diploma.
Reply 5
Original post by Geraltt
Ok, thank you, I will ask. I am just confused if do to top up degree after my HND at uni of go for CIPD diploma.

There might be a degree path to CIPD status. I'm not sure... But if there is then you would get student finance. Whereas I don't think you do for a CIPD diploma, unless an employer sponsored you (which does happen).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
There might be a degree path to CIPD status. I'm not sure... But if there is then you would get student finance. Whereas I don't think you do for a CIPD diploma, unless an employer sponsored you (which does happen).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for your help, that is very useful to me.
I think that I will do top up in human resources at uni, as I will get student finance. Then I can do CIPD part time or online while working.
Reply 7
Original post by Geraltt
Thank you very much for your help, that is very useful to me.
I think that I will do top up in human resources at uni, as I will get student finance. Then I can do CIPD part time or online while working.

You could do a business studies (or similar) degree - it doesn't have to be specifically HR.
Original post by jneill
You could do a business studies (or similar) degree - it doesn't have to be specifically HR.

This...

HR specific courses are a rarity - and for a reason. Do Business/Management and give yourself more breadth. You might change your mind again and realise you fancy something like finance or strategy...

And definitely get in touch with your college. It's almost impossible for anyone here to offer sound advice given we don't know what courses your college offers, what the entry requirements are, how many modules are common etc.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending