The Student Room Group

Why is the LGBT community so accepting of Islam?

...when Islam (in general) is definitely not accepting towards the LGBT community.

Let's take Islam in the UK for example. A gallup poll reported by 'the Guardian' found that none of the 500 British Muslims interviewed believed that homosexual acts were morally acceptable.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

Here is another study by Pew Research on Muslim's attitude towards homosexuality (summarised in an infographic). Unfortunately, the poll didn't include any Western European countries.

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

LGBT peeps are a minority social group, so tend to look after the interests of other minorities for the sake of solidarity and social justice, even if their interests don't necessarily align.

Watch the film 'Pride' for a better indication of what I'm talking about! It's a genuinely great movie with a good, historical grounding.
Ostensibly because they feel that Muslims, like them, are an oppressed minority and therefore a natural ally. Shame that it's a pretty one-sided arrangement.
I can only speak for myself but before I do I just want to say that asking for 'islamaphobia' to stop is not supporting Islam - its asking for hatred on the grounds of belief to stop.

From where I'm standing, you can't put everyone in the same basket. My best friend is muslim and he and his family have accepted me and support me a lot but they are devout. People don't deserve to be hated for having a religious faith and we get what its like to be persecuted for... nothing, really.

Also, 500 people is nothing. And not agreeing with gay sex doesn't really mean they hate gay people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pseudo-truth
LGBT peeps are a minority social group, so tend to look after the interests of other minorities for the sake of solidarity and social justice, even if their interests don't necessarily align.

Original post by Hydeman
Ostensibly because they feel that Muslims, like them, are an oppressed minority and therefore a natural ally. Shame that it's a pretty one-sided arrangement.

I agree with what Hydeman said; why does that logic not equally apply to Muslims (minority social group -> look after interests of other minorities even if don't necessarily align)?
Original post by ivybridge
I can only speak for myself but before I do I just want to say that asking for 'islamaphobia' to stop is not supporting Islam - its asking for hatred on the grounds of belief to stop.

From where I'm standing, you can't put everyone in the same basket. My best friend is muslim and he and his family have accepted me and support me a lot but they are devout. People don't deserve to be hated for having a religious faith and we get what its like to be persecuted for... nothing, really.

Also, 500 people is nothing. And not agreeing with gay sex doesn't really mean they hate gay people.

Asking for hatred to stop when it is based on someone's beliefs is absolutely ridiculous. You really do say some insane **** you. Someone's beliefs are one of the very best justifications for hatred towards them.
Reply 6
Original post by NickLCFC

...when Islam (in general) is definitely not accepting towards the LGBT community.

Let's take Islam in the UK for example. A gallop poll reported by 'the Guardian' found that none of the 500 British Muslims interviewed believed that homosexual acts were morally acceptable.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

Because they know how it feels to be hated so why would any decent human being do what makes them feel horrible inside.
Intersectional feminism :h:

Not true. Oxford dictionary defines Islamophobia "dislike of or predjudice against Muslims or Islam, especially as a political force". In other words, if someone dislikes Islam or disagrees with its ideology, that's Islamophobia. Being against Islamophobia is basically asking for negative criticism of the religion to stop and that's pretty ridiculous. Ignore the image anyway, it's irrelevant to the point I'm making.

And that's purely anecdotal evidence. You can't put everyone in the same basket but you can put the majority of Muslims in the same basket. Hence why I said 'Islam (in general")' Also, I never said people deserve to be hated for having a religious faith...

You obviously don't know how opinion polls work. It's a sample size, it's a representation of the wider population, obviously there is a margin of error. It's the same way the general election results are predicted and it is still a pretty accurate representation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
Asking for hatred to stop when it is based on someone's beliefs is absolutely ridiculous. You really do say some insane **** you. Someone's beliefs are one of the very best justifications for hatred towards them.

Not true. Oxford dictionary defines Islamophobia "dislike of or predjudice against Muslims or Islam, especially as a political force". In other words, if someone dislikes Islam or disagrees with its ideology, that's Islamophobia. Ignore the image anyway, it's irrelevant to the point I'm making.

And that's purely anecdotal evidence. You can't put everyone in the same basket but you can put the majority of Muslims in the same basket. Hence why I said "Islam (in general":wink:. Also, I never said people deserve to be hated for having a religious faith...

You obviously don't know how opinion polls work. It's a sample size, it's a representation of the wider population, obviously there is a margin of error. It's the same way they election results are predicted and it is still a pretty accurate representation.

Look, both of you, I offered a harmless opinion that isn't at all out of line and you've both just ****ing gone for me. Don't ask for views if you can't swallow them.

I'm not entering into this any further. I gave my opinion, get over it and @TorpidPhil, you can just **** right off - get off of my back. Not everybody thinks as you do and your opinions about me are boring - you do not even know me, this is the ****ing internet for crying out loud.
Reply 10
Typical knee-jerk SJW reaction. Most of them probably believe the "Islam is a religion of peace" trope, and have no idea that some of the people who they are supporting believe that they should be killed (or at least, the ideology that they support believes that they should be killed).
(edited 8 years ago)
Look, both of you, I offered a harmless opinion that isn't at all out of line and you've both just ****ing gone for me. Don't ask for views if you can't swallow them.

I'm not entering into this any further. I gave my opinion, get over it and @TorpidPhil, you can just **** right off - get off of my back. Not everybody thinks as you do and your opinions about me are boring - you do not even know me, this is the ****ing internet for crying out loud.

How did I "go for you"? You offered your opinion and I offered counter arguments to your opinion; it's not like I insulted you or anything. You need to calm down, this is 'educational debate' and I can definitely "swallow your views". Thanks for your input :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I meant more TorpidTwat. Lmao.

Anyway, all I can say is I wasn't really talking about what you did and didn't say - I was talking generally about Islam and Homosexuality.

Plus, you're just being a pedant... I said islamaphobia is basically being an idiot because you don't like the beliefs pr whatever, I just didn't look to te OED for a poncey definition but they're more or less exactly the same in concept. So, I'm not really sure what you're twisting it into something else for... it is what it is.

The final paragraph about the sampling - yes, I do know how it works but '500' isn't accurate. There's thousands of muslims in this nation. I don't think 500 is particularly fair sampling but I suppose that is neither here nor there.

Thank you for respecting my opinion - I respect yours too.

Sweetheart if you are unable to accept the fact that sometimes you say some very silly things then I suggest you think a tad more before spouting stuff.
As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with being Islamophobic. It's just a word used to shut down debate about Islam that needs to be had. Like I said before, disliking Islam or negatively criticising the ideology is technically 'Islamophobia' and I don't see a problem with that.

Fine, maybe the study is inaccurate, there are various other studies to refer to. If you can't come to terms with the majority of Muslims being against homosexuality then I think you are pretty deluded.

Yes but people don't criticise just the ideology - they criticise the people and persecute them. They brand them all as terrorists and so on. Its unfair and I think that's what is being protested against.

Mate, my patience is just going with you - I didn't say that a lot of muslims think homosexuality is brilliant and are supportive; I know that is rubbish. However, my point is that I personally put my personal opinion aside - I don't condone hatred any ways, regardless of whether I myself am hated for things I cannot control. Furthermore, as I said in the beginning, my point is that you can think homosexual sex is immoral and not think homosexuals are disgusting or be hateful towards them. They are not the same thing. It isn't like you cannot have one thing without the other.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by QE2
Typical knee-jerk SJW reaction. Most of them probably believe the "Islam is a religion of peace" trope, and have no idea that the people who they are supporting believe that they should be killed (or at least, the ideology that they support believes that they should be killed - which amounts to the same).

Do you think the same about Christians? Who, by ideology, should campaign for the stoning of adulterers among other things? Not all muslims are absolute believers in the entirety of Islamic teaching - many see it as a very personal thing.
Reply 15
Let's take Islam in the UK for example. A gallop poll reported by 'the Guardian' found that none of the 500 British Muslims interviewed believed that homosexual acts were morally acceptable.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Anti-Muslim bigotry, discrimination and violence should be opposed by everyone.

Yes, Islamophobia is an unfortunate term to use, given that it's justifiable to be scared of Islam itself. I'm also Christophobic. But, everyone knows exactly what people mean by Islamophobia, so arguing over the terminology used is completely redundant.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm against homophobia just like how they're against islamophobia. Even if there are some disagreements we can see that inciting hatred on a large group of people is wrong.

Spoiler

Original post by TorpidPhil

Hatred directed toward moderate Muslims can't be justified. Many of them do think homosexual acts are sinful, and you can think that's an abhorrent belief, but hating them all is just silly. The Muslims I know are some of the nicest people I've ever met.

This is the second irrational rage-post of yours I've seen. Are you having a bad week, mate?
Yes but people don't criticise just the ideology - they criticise the people and persecute them. They brand them all as terrorists and so on. Its unfair and I think that's what is being protested against.

Mate, my patience is just going with you - I didn't say that a lot of muslims think homosexuality is brilliant and are supportive; I know that is rubbish. However, my point is that I personally put my personal opinion aside - I don't condone hatred any ways, regardless of whether I myself am hated for things I cannot control. Furthermore, as I said in the beginning, my point is that you can think homosexual sex is immoral and not think homosexuals are disgusting or be hateful towards them. They are not the same thing. It isn't like you cannot have one thing without the other.

Okay that's fine. Just be careful if you ever visit any of the countries highlighted in orange :smile:

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lord Samosa
I'm against homophobia just like how they're against islamophobia. Even if there are some disagreements we can see that inciting hatred on a large group of people is wrong.

Spoiler

Big up Lord Samosa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending