The Student Room Group

University and relationship choices...

So I have a choice now about which uni I go to. There are two places I can go and they both have significant impact on my relationship of two years.

The first, and one I really really want to go to, is Bangor, which is about 6 hours away from here. I don't know how well we would cope in a long distance relationship, but from what I can tell we don't do well at the minute after a few days apart. I imagine I'd only be able to see her once a week or so.

My other choice is Sussex, a uni I do like a lot but not as much. This is about an hour away and means I could see her very often, and likely won't create any huge issues. I just don't like the place as much as Bangor.

If this were you, where would you go? Relationships matter, mine especially to me, but uni is important as well. I just want to make the right choice.
Original post by Anonymous
So I have a choice now about which uni I go to. There are two places I can go and they both have significant impact on my relationship of two years.

The first, and one I really really want to go to, is Bangor, which is about 6 hours away from here. I don't know how well we would cope in a long distance relationship, but from what I can tell we don't do well at the minute after a few days apart. I imagine I'd only be able to see her once a week or so.

My other choice is Sussex, a uni I do like a lot but not as much. This is about an hour away and means I could see her very often, and likely won't create any huge issues. I just don't like the place as much as Bangor.

If this were you, where would you go? Relationships matter, mine especially to me, but uni is important as well. I just want to make the right choice.

If it's six hours a way, seeing her once a week doesn't sound quite right especially with travel costs ? I guess have a think about what university you d choose if you didnt have your girlfriend in your life and let that guide your decision i suppose.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If it's six hours a way, seeing her once a week doesn't sound quite right especially with travel costs ? I guess have a think about what university you d choose if you didnt have your girlfriend in your life and let that guide your decision i suppose.

I meant once a fortnight using a railcard, it says it's £67 for a return ticket to here.
If she wasn't in my life I probably would just go to Bangor, it's more wanting to maintain it rather than let it falter.
I meant once a fortnight using a railcard, it says it's £67 for a return ticket to here.
If she wasn't in my life I probably would just go to Bangor, it's more wanting to maintain it rather than let it falter.

Bare in mind, that although north wales is pretty cheap living costs wise, £67 every 2 weeks is a lot to be paying out and advance tickets aren't brilliantly priced for welsh train companies. I would say if Bangor makes you happiest go there and if the relationships is meant to be then it will last the distance.
Reply 4
Bare in mind, that although north wales is pretty cheap living costs wise, £67 every 2 weeks is a lot to be paying out and advance tickets aren't brilliantly priced for welsh train companies. I would say if Bangor makes you happiest go there and if the relationships is meant to be then it will last the distance.

That makes sense, thank you.
Speaking of trains, do you know if there's a discount card I can use to go between England and Wales? Like a 16-25 card maybe?
That makes sense, thank you.
Speaking of trains, do you know if there's a discount card I can use to go between England and Wales? Like a 16-25 card maybe?

The 16-25 railcard works for the whole of the U.K. so that will be fine :smile:
Reply 6
The 16-25 railcard works for the whole of the U.K. so that will be fine :smile:

That's great to hear, thank you 😊
Reply 7
That's great to hear, thank you 😊

£45 pound or whatever it is every week plus 12 hours travel time for a girl you barely want to see.

Not going to work
Reply 8
Original post by whorace
£45 pound or whatever it is every week plus 12 hours travel time for a girl you barely want to see.

Not going to work

Where did I say I barely wanted to see her? My whole difficulty in choosing was because I wanted to see her
You might be right about the cost though, although she'd be coming to me as well.
Reply 9
Where did I say I barely wanted to see her? My whole difficulty in choosing was because I wanted to see her
You might be right about the cost though, although she'd be coming to me as well.

If you are considering making this decision I am a little pessimistic about your future, if you really liked her you would want to be as close to her as possible, perhaps I am wrong in this view though. You also said you don't do very well after a few days not seeing each other.
Original post by whorace
If you are considering making this decision I am a little pessimistic about your future, if you really liked her you would want to be as close to her as possible, perhaps I am wrong in this view though. You also said you don't do very well after a few days not seeing each other.

Obviously I do, I've been with her for around two years. My concern really is that if I go to Sussex and then things don't work out I'll have missed the chance to go. Sussex is convenient and not a bad place by any means, but it's the divide between choosing based on love or by personal career. That's the hard part.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending