The Student Room Group

Why is the LGBT community so accepting of Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NickLCFC
Okay that's fine. Just be careful if you ever visit any of the countries highlighted in orange :smile: :smile: :smile:

Grow up, mate. Really, do.
Original post by Lord Samosa
I'm against homophobia just like how they're against islamophobia. Even if there are some disagreements we can see that inciting hatred on a large group of people is wrong.

I read your spoiler but... I dislike Islam and openly criticise it and that technically makes me 'Islamophobic'. However, I would never be prejudice towards someone just because they are Muslim. What is wrong with that?
Personally, not even necessarily as a member of the LGBTQ community, I don't agree with islamaphobia, I grew up around people who followed Islam and have done enough research to know that the vast majority of people who follow it aren't bad people like with every belief. Also, I've certainly met people who follow Islam and aren't homophobic just like I've met people who aren't religious and are homophobic. Hate is never a good use of time
Original post by Blondie987
Personally, not even necessarily as a member of the LGBTQ community, I don't agree with islamaphobia, I grew up around people who followed Islam and have done enough research to know that the vast majority of people who follow it aren't bad people like with every belief. Also, I've certainly met people who follow Islam and aren't homophobic just like I've met people who aren't religious and are homophobic. Hate is never a good use of time

How are you so nice? Like all your posts are so positive, I like it.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Hatred directed toward moderate Muslims can't be justified. Many of them do think homosexual acts are sinful, and you can think that's an abhorrent belief, but hating them all is just silly. The Muslims I know are some of the nicest people I've ever met.

This is the second irrational rage-post of yours I've seen. Are you having a bad week, mate?

I don't really think it's silly. Islamic culture is totally incompatible with my own moral culture. The vast majority of moderate Muslims live immoral, ignorant lives. I would be much happier if they disappeared from the planet and thus would cease to spread that immoral culture.

Note, I say the majority, not all. And that of course just comes from my own anecdotal experience knowing hundreds of Muslims and a dozen or so fairly intimately.

I hear this notion of 'nice Muslims' quite often, yet I have met very few. At this point of course it would be hard for me to do so because I have a confirmation bias against Islam. However, I suspect this may just all be a result of some other cultural difference between the Muslims I know and the Muslims most know. I live in Leeds. And visit Bradford quite often. I suspect that Muslims around here have a different culture from Muslims elsewhere. For example, they are more pious and traditional. Maybe that's why my experience is relatively so bad.
Original post by ivybridge
I can only speak for myself but before I do I just want to say that asking for 'islamaphobia' to stop is not supporting Islam - its asking for hatred on the grounds of belief to stop.

From where I'm standing, you can't put everyone in the same basket. My best friend is muslim and he and his family have accepted me and support me a lot but they are devout. People don't deserve to be hated for having a religious faith and we get what its like to be persecuted for... nothing, really.

Also, 500 people is nothing. And not agreeing with gay sex doesn't really mean they hate gay people.

I really appreciate you saying that, it's really unfair how there are about 1.6 billion muslims in the world and they can take studies that include 500 people and generalise the rest of us. Its so sad

I'm muslim and so is my family and no way are we homophobic, Muslims are encouraged to be accepting even if someone has a personal disagreement.

This is purely anecdotal evidence.
Original post by endgametheory
How are you so nice? Like all your posts are so positive, I like it.

Thank you! :biggrin:
Ok imma just clear up all this bs because I, as a proud honourable muslim, can say the truth.
In Islam (not the fake, horrible one you see on the media) we are taught to show love and kindness to all. The Prophet (PBUH) suffered from persecution from so many, yet he still showed those who sent hatred towards him kindness. He loved and cared for everyone, no matter how corrupt their minds were.
Now, it is true that LGBT is not permissable in Islam and yes, it is considered sinful I guess. BUT, it is not our right as humans to persecute one for sinning. Ever heard the phrase "sinning on a sinner"? Thats exactly what we as Muslims are forbidden to do because everything is down to God. We must not revenge because tyat will make us just as bad.

Instead, we are to show kindness to them just as we would to our friends and family. Yes, it is good to talk to the people about it but we are not allowed to become violent with them. Again, thats all in God's hands. Not to mention the fact that those who show love to all, even those who least deserve it, are the best of mankind.

So why is the lgbt community so accepting towards us? Because of this. Because of the fact that nobody deserves to be persecuted by another. Its God will as to what has to be done to sinners, not ours. We stand as one, humans together, to fight hatred towards one another. They know the truth, and they have accepted it.

Hope that clears it all up for y'all:smile:

Exactly <3
Original post by BoredHumxnity
Ok imma just clear up all this bs because I, as a proud honourable muslim, can say the truth.
In Islam (not the fake, horrible one you see on the media) we are taught to show love and kindness to all. The Prophet (PBUH) suffered from persecution from so many, yet he still showed those who sent hatred towards him kindness. He loved and cared for everyone, no matter how corrupt their minds were.
Now, it is true that LGBT is not permissable in Islam and yes, it is considered sinful I guess. BUT, it is not our right as humans to persecute one for sinning. Ever heard the phrase "sinning on a sinner"? Thats exactly what we as Muslims are forbidden to do because everything is down to God. We must not revenge because tyat will make us just as bad.

Instead, we are to show kindness to them just as we would to our friends and family. Yes, it is good to talk to the people about it but we are not allowed to become violent with them. Again, thats all in God's hands. Not to mention the fact that those who show love to all, even those who least deserve it, are the best of mankind.

So why is the lgbt community so accepting towards us? Because of this. Because of the fact that nobody deserves to be persecuted by another. Its God will as to what has to be done to sinners, not ours. We stand as one, humans together, to fight hatred towards one another. They know the truth, and they have accepted it.

Careful now, inb4 plantagenet crown

...when Islam (in general) is definitely not accepting towards the LGBT community.

Let's take Islam in the UK for example. A gallop poll reported by 'the Guardian' found that none of the 500 British Muslims interviewed believed that homosexual acts were morally acceptable.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

This is a small minded point to state. As you should know all religions believe homosexuality is wrong, therefore you can't target just Muslims or Islam in general. As Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs and many others believe in this too.

Also, even some atheists believe that homosexuality is wrong. In addition to this, there's millions of Muslims within the UK and you're only stating the opinions of 500. I, myself am I Muslim. As any other religion, we believe that homosexuality isn't in nature's favour. However, our religion states that this is also to prevent STDs as the risk is increased when gays commit to intimate contact.

I'm a Muslim, and I don't believe homosexuality is right in the eyes of my religion and any other religion. However, if I saw someone who was gay I wouldn't say anything to them because it's their life and they can do what they like. I have 2 gay best friends who I'm extremely close to and we're all understanding of eachothers' values. Not once have either of us questionned eachothers' beliefs. So please do not try and pin point all Muslims, we're already being portrayed as bad people in the media when in all honesty all we want is peace and people to stop making it out as if we're evil people.

I hope you have a good day.

Kind Regards,
A muslim :smile:

If Islam teaches Muslims to show kindness to them then why is homosexuality punishable by death or illegal in many Islamic countries? (As pointed out in post #22). Seems like a lot of people must have misinterpreted the teachings of Prophet Muhammed...

yas, you literally said all of the thoughts that have been running through my mind in such a beautiful way m'A
I read your spoiler but... I dislike Islam and openly criticise it and that technically makes me 'Islamophobic'. However, I would never be prejudice towards someone just because they are Muslim. What is wrong with that?

You're free to criticise it, it's a free country. But for some they also end up with a bigoted view on Muslims as well, this is what leads to islamophobic incidents.

Unfortunately not everyone is able to keep your mindset of only disliking the religion, not the people.
Original post by TorpidPhil
I don't really think it's silly. Islamic culture is totally incompatible with my own moral culture. The vast majority of moderate Muslims live immoral, ignorant lives.

Stopped reading here, you have no idea what you're on about.
Original post by endgametheory
Careful now, inb4 plantagenet crown

And thats supposed to mean ..?
And thats supposed to mean ..?

Oh you're new here aren't you
Reply 38
Original post by ivybridge
Do you think the same about Christians? Who, by ideology, should campaign for the stoning of adulterers among other things? Not all muslims are absolute believers in the entirety of Islamic teaching - many see it as a very personal thing.
There is a slight, but fundamental difference between Christianity and Islam.
One considers its holy book to be the actual, dictated word of god, the actual words that he "spoke"; perfect, immutible, unchangeable - as applicable and acceptable today as it was 1400 years ago.
One doesn't.

One has inbuilt mechanisms to prevent cherry-picking and revisionism.
One doesn't.

By definition, all Muslims must be believers in the entirety of the Quran at least, and many also consider the sunnah as non-negotiable. That is why there are so many Muslims, even on TSR, defending and justifying slavery, sex with slaves, death for apostates, homosexuals and adulterers, etc.
If Islam teaches Muslims to show kindness to them then why is homosexuality punishable by death or illegal in many Islamic countries? (As pointed out in post #22). Seems like a lot of people must have misinterpreted the teachings of Prophet Muhammed...

Pbuh*
Different sects hold different views. Same goes with Christianity then doesnt it? There are sects in there which believe homosexuality is terrible, maybe even punishable by death. In my sect, kindness should be show to all. With all due respect, why dont you go read the Quran to find out yourself :smile:

Quick Reply