The Student Room Group

Why is the LGBT community so accepting of Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by endgametheory
Oh you're new here aren't you

Yes, yes i am
Original post by hannah412
Intersectional feminism :h:

not islam surely - islam is the furthest thing away from any kind of feminism
Reply 42
I’m queer, I think religion is seriously absurd and don’t at all understand how anyone can believe in any god or god like being. But I’ve experienced discrimination and physical/verbal assult, it’s awful and I’d never wish it on anyone at all no matter how silly I think their views are. I don't see how anyone can know what it feels like and not care about it happening to others.

Even Muslim/other religious people who are actively hateful, I don’t want them to experience hate because I don’t want to be as bad as them. We'll never get anywhere going around being vengeful
Original post by Suman2209
This is a small minded point to state. As you should know all religions believe homosexuality is wrong, therefore you can't target just Muslims or Islam in general. As Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs and many others believe in this too.

I acknowledge this. However this thread is a debate about Islam, feel free to make another thread if you wish.

Also, even some atheists believe that homosexuality is wrong. In addition to this, there's millions of Muslims within the UK and you're only stating the opinions of 500. I, myself am I Muslim. As any other religion, we believe that homosexuality isn't in nature's favour. However, our religion states that this is also to prevent STDs as the risk is increased when gays commit to intimate contact.

Please try to understand how opinion polls work, I'm not going to explain it again. Gallup is a professional and reliable research company so I trust that their polls are representative; obviously there will be a margin of error.

I'm a Muslim, and I don't believe homosexuality is right in the eyes of my religion and any other religion. However, if I saw someone who was gay I wouldn't say anything to them because it's their life and they can do what they like. I have 2 gay best friends who I'm extremely close to and we're all understanding of eachothers' values. Not once have either of us questionned eachothers' beliefs. So please do not try and pin point all Muslims, we're already being portrayed as bad people in the media when in all honesty all we want is peace and people to stop making it out as if we're evil people.

Good, I have no problem with that. Also I'm not trying to pin point all Muslims, please refer to when I was ever trying to do that in this thread.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by QE2
There is a slight, but fundamental difference between Christianity and Islam.
One considers its holy book to be the actual, dictated word of god, the actual words that he "spoke"; perfect, immutible, unchangeable - as applicable and acceptable today as it was 1400 years ago.
One doesn't.

One has inbuilt mechanisms to prevent cherry-picking and revisionism.
One doesn't.

By definition, all Muslims must be believers in the entirety of the Quran at least, and many also consider the sunnah as non-negotiable. That is why there are so many Muslims, even on TSR, defending and justifying slavery, sex with slaves, death for apostates, homosexuals and adulterers, etc.

You have lost all of my respect. This is total RUBBISH. People cherry-pick in christianity all of the time - there are no mechanisms. Whether or not you believe the Bible, or the Qur'an, is the direct word of God, or Allah, is down to the individual.

By definition? What even is this. This isn't about definitions coined by some company like Oxford English Dictionaries - its about reality. Muslims don't have to be anything and neither do Christians - religion is personal.
Original post by GCSEstudentt
yas, you literally said all of the thoughts that have been running through my mind in such a beautiful way m'A

:smile:<3 <3
Original post by sleepysnooze
not islam surely - islam is the furthest thing away from any kind of feminism

that is very ignorant of you to say. I am guessing you haven't done any proper research as in reading the holy Qur'an? I bet you get all your info from the media and if so, you are looking at a very biased, islamaphobic source my friend
Reply 47
Original post by NickLCFC

Because of the freedom a western democracy affords them ...

and to add to this
A few weeks back I read on a different threadI disgraceful comments of British Muslims that provocatively stated they will never fight for the UK if their country needed them.... yet that freedom of speech to say so is afforded to them by a western democracy
This is a small minded point to state. As you should know all religions believe homosexuality is wrong, therefore you can't target just Muslims or Islam in general. As Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs and many others believe in this too.

And when people from those religions restrict the rights of LGBT people, they are rightfully scorned. The question is about why many in the LGBT community have favourable views of Islam despite its harsher stance on homosexuality than many of the religions that you've listed.

Also, even some atheists believe that homosexuality is wrong.

That doesn't justify anything. There's no holy book of atheism that says that homosexuality is morally reprehensible and should be punished.

However, our religion states that this is also to prevent STDs as the risk is increased when gays commit to intimate contact.

This is simply false, in more than one way. There is nothing in Islam (or any of the other monotheistic religions) about STDs. And no, there's no particular reason why two homosexual people are more likely to be susceptible to STD transmission than two heterosexual people in exactly the same circumstances.

Not once have either of us questionned eachothers' beliefs.

I wouldn't boast about this.
Original post by BoredHumxnity
Pbuh*
Different sects hold different views. Same goes with Christianity then doesnt it? There are sects in there which believe homosexuality is terrible, maybe even punishable by death. In my sect, kindness should be show to all. With all due respect, why dont you go read the Quran to find out yourself :smile:

I'm not a Muslim so I don't feel inclined to say 'peace be upon him' each time I mention Prophet Muhammed.

If you want to make a thread highlighting Christianity's intolerance towards homosexually then feel free to do so. I'm aware there are different sects and 'interpretations' of Islam.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not a Muslim so I don't feel inclined to say 'peace be upon him' each time I mention Prophet Muhammed. Please respect my beliefs.

If you want to make a thread highlighting Christianity's intolerance towards homosexually then feel free to do so. I'm aware there are different sects and 'interpretations' of Islam.

Spoiler

With all due respect, it is universally respectful to say PBUH after the Prohpet's name. You use a capital letter for it so I don't see the problem. Even my old atheist RS teacher said it after his name...
But anyway, that's not my point. I am saying different sects=different interpretations and Christianity was just another example
Reply 51
Original post by Pseudo-truth
LGBT peeps are a minority social group, so tend to look after the interests of other minorities for the sake of solidarity and social justice, even if their interests don't necessarily align.

Watch the film 'Pride' for a better indication of what I'm talking about! It's a genuinely great movie with a good, historical grounding.

Original post by ivybridge
I can only speak for myself but before I do I just want to say that asking for 'islamaphobia' to stop is not supporting Islam - its asking for hatred on the grounds of belief to stop.

From where I'm standing, you can't put everyone in the same basket. My best friend is muslim and he and his family have accepted me and support me a lot but they are devout. People don't deserve to be hated for having a religious faith and we get what its like to be persecuted for... nothing, really.

Also, 500 people is nothing. And not agreeing with gay sex doesn't really mean they hate gay people.

you two and the people who repped you because they also do not know have got it both wrong.
shia muslims are a bit diff than sunni muslims apparently. one group purports to be more accepting.
who knows where the funding for these nonprofit organizations are coming from/going
so they openly support each other. obviously.
on the grounds of "egalitarianism."
or those particular people in the OP photo simply came together to make such a banner; the banner didn't fall from the sky
a reason came behind the banner being made collectively, and the funding to make the banner
there's a systematic reason that may or may not benefit society
in that regard minority groups will band together for monetary and political purposes
not something to applaud nor bash, just to take with a grain of sand and research

...when Islam (in general) is definitely not accepting towards the LGBT community.

Let's take Islam in the UK for example. A gallop poll reported by 'the Guardian' found that none of the 500 British Muslims interviewed believed that homosexual acts were morally acceptable.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality
Original post by StrangeBanana
Hatred directed toward moderate Muslims can't be justified. Many of them do think homosexual acts are sinful, and you can think that's an abhorrent belief, but hating them all is just silly. The Muslims I know are some of the nicest people I've ever met.

This is the second irrational rage-post of yours I've seen. Are you having a bad week, mate?

LOL
Original post by malware
you two and the people who repped you because they also do not know have got it both wrong.
shia muslims are a bit diff than sunni muslims apparently. one group purports to be more accepting.
who knows where the funding for these nonprofit organizations are coming from/going
so they openly support each other. obviously.
on the grounds of "egalitarianism."
or those particular people in the OP photo simply came together to make such a banner; the banner didn't fall from the sky
a reason came behind the banner being made collectively, and the funding to make the banner
there's a systematic reason that may or may not benefit society
in that regard minority groups will band together for monetary and political purposes
not something to applaud nor bash, just to take with a grain of sand and research

Yeah, no.
Reply 54
Yeah, no.

well obviously you will say that, being gay and all. not something you want to admit, nor apparently something you have the knowledge to properly debate against lol
Original post by StrangeBanana
Hatred directed toward moderate Muslims can't be justified. Many of them do think homosexual acts are sinful, and you can think that's an abhorrent belief, but hating them all is just silly. The Muslims I know are some of the nicest people I've ever met.

This is the second irrational rage-post of yours I've seen. Are you having a bad week, mate?

I'm crying
Original post by malware
well obviously you will say that, being gay and all. not something you want to admit, nor apparently something you have the knowledge to properly debate against lol

There's nothing to debate against lmao, you said nothing of value and my sexuality has sod-all to do with it.
People cherry-pick in christianity all of the time - there are no mechanisms.

You might be missing something here: he was referring to Islam when he mentioned the religion which has an in-built mechanism to prevent revisionism.

Whether or not you believe the Bible, or the Qur'an, is the direct word of God, or Allah, is down to the individual.

It should be, but one of the central tenets of Islam is exactly as QE2 has described it -- the Koran is considered the literal word of God and is considered to have divine protection against revisionism.

By definition? What even is this. This isn't about definitions coined by some company like Oxford English Dictionaries - its about reality. Muslims don't have to be anything and neither do Christians - religion is personal.

A large number of people disagree with the highlighted. You have to understand that this idea that religion is personal and not dictated to the masses by a supposedly learned elite is a post-Reformation idea -- Islam hasn't had a reformation yet, so this top-down structure still exists for most of the world's Muslims, although there are liberal Muslims like Irshad Manji who advocate the individualist, personal approach.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
You might be missing something here: he was referring to Islam when he mentioned the religion which has an in-built mechanism to prevent revisionism.

It should be, but one of the central tenets of Islam is exactly as QE2 has described it -- the Koran is considered the literal word of God and is considered to have divine protection against revisionism.

A large number of people disagree with the highlighted. You have to understand that this idea that religion is personal and not dictated to the masses by a learned elite is a post-Reformation idea -- Islam hasn't had a reformation yet, so this top-down structure still exists for most of the world's Muslims, although there are liberal Muslims like Irshad Manji who advocate the individualist, personal approach.

Mate, I know a shed-load of muslims who believe their religion is personal and doesn't impact on wider things.

But how? People do cherry-pick in Islam too... what "mechanisms" are we talking about? It's rubbish.
Reply 59
There's nothing to debate against lmao, you said nothing of value and my sexuality has sod-all to do with it.

there's nothing to debate against because it's true and over your head "lmao"
your sexuality has something to do with it. your lack of awareness has something to do with it as well.

Quick Reply

Latest