The Student Room Group

Failed exam - 27%

Hello,

I am in my 2nd year of university and have found out I had scored 27% in an exam. The exam is worth 40% of the module and I have a presentation worth 60% coming up.

Will I be able to pass the whole module if I score well in the presentation?
Or will I have to resit the exam in the summer? And if so, get capped at 40%.

Could anyone please help / advise me! :frown:

Thanks
Reply 1
How much percentage do you need to get over the module to pass ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by RichardR21
Hello,

I am in my 2nd year of university and have found out I had scored 27% in an exam. The exam is worth 40% of the module and I have a presentation worth 60% coming up.

Will I be able to pass the whole module if I score well in the presentation?
Or will I have to resit the exam in the summer? And if so, get capped at 40%.

Could anyone please help / advise me! :frown:

Thanks

what is the pass marks?
Original post by TeeEm
what is the pass marks?

The marks to achieve a pass is 40% or higher
Reply 4
If the pass mark for your overall module is 40%, then you would need to get a minimum of 49% in your presentation to be able to JUST pass the module as a whole (if you got 49% in the pres then your overall mod mark would be 40.2%). If you want to know the exact maths of how I worked that out let me know.

Long story short, you can still pass the module, just work hard on your presentation and you'll manage it. Good luck!
Reply 5
The marks to achieve a pass is 40% or higher

then you will need 49% or more in the presentation, in order to scrape a pass
Reply 6
Is uni really that hard?
Original post by chance23
If the pass mark for your overall module is 40%, then you would need to get a minimum of 49% in your presentation to be able to JUST pass the module as a whole (if you got 49% in the pres then your overall mod mark would be 40.2%). If you want to know the exact maths of how I worked that out let me know.

Long story short, you can still pass the module, just work hard on your presentation and you'll manage it. Good luck!

You are an absolute gift my friend haha! Thank you that has made me a tiny bit happier!
Okay well yes I think I should score higher than 49% in the presentation! If you do not mind could you please message me how you work this out!

So I can still pass the overall module, ONLY IF, I score 49%+ in the presentation.
I will only need to resit the exam if I score less than 49%? And if that was the case I would be capped at 40% for the exam yes?

Thank you,
40% or higher to pass

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
You are an absolute gift my friend haha! Thank you that has made me a tiny bit happier!
Okay well yes I think I should score higher than 49% in the presentation! If you do not mind could you please message me how you work this out!

So I can still pass the overall module, ONLY IF, I score 49%+ in the presentation.
I will only need to resit the exam if I score less than 49%? And if that was the case I would be capped at 40% for the exam yes?

Thank you,

Basically (I'm not very good at explaining, but I'll give it a go!):

your 27% is worth 40% of the module, so you do 27 x 0.4 = 10.8%

And then you want to find out how much you need for a minimum of 40% for your overall module from your 60%, so you do

10.8 + Y = 40

Re-arrange that and Y = 29.2%

So this shows, we need to get 29.2% from your 60% presentation.

=> Z x 0.6 = 29.2

re-arrange and you get: Z = 29.2 / 0.6 = 48.666 = 49% (rounding up).

So you'll need 49% minimum in presentation to get 40% overall in module.

I'm sure someone will be able to explain it in a better way for you! Sorry if I've confused you!

With regards to your other questions, it really depends on your university policy. Some require you to pass every aspect of the module, whereas some universities don't, they just need you to pass the module as a whole. If it is the latter, then you only need to get over 49% in your presentation and you'll be fine. However, if they require you to pass every aspect then yes you may have to resit. And again with regards to it being capped, it depends on your uni! Most cap resit at 40% I believe, but you'd have to check.

Hope that helps!
Okay i get what you mean and understand your explanation!
Thank you very very much for your time and help!
:smile:
Okay i get what you mean and understand your explanation!
Thank you very very much for your time and help!
:smile:

No worries! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending