The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I always wonder this but I'd have a guess a few thousand at 18, five digits by 25 (say 10k-15k) and by 35 maybe 30k-45k mark if you're talking per person, not a couple or friends etc. Again, that is a complete guess, I could be talk rubbish
Reply 21
Original post by Marshmallow9999
how did you get 60k? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't hold your breath for a comprehensible response. James is one of our regulars who entertains us with his tales of great wealth which never stand up to scrutiny.
18 - 1k
25 - 8k
35 - 50k
Original post by ViewsFromSi6
18 - 1k
25 - 8k
35 - 50k

I think this seems a lil low tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are there official figures for this, just out of interest?
I imagine they'd be very dependent on, obviously, job, region and lifestyle - so even then an average would be far from representative.

Always surprised by debt levels on every scale.
In theory i (and even my pet goldfish) are worth more than the country if the bell was rung tomorrow to settle accounts :smile:

edit - wasted 15 mins looking. There are not. Plenty of figures, but it seems that if you give 100 people a calculator, you get 100 different answers. Old Reliable, the Daily Mail, reckons the average Brit is worth £150k though...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by RandomGuy19
I always wonder this but I'd have a guess a few thousand at 18, five digits by 25 (say 10k-15k) and by 35 maybe 30k-45k mark if you're talking per person, not a couple or friends etc. Again, that is a complete guess, I could be talk rubbish

Yes, that seems reasonable.

As I mentioned average person in the UK has net worth of 43k excluding home equity, and the average age is 40 years, so your figures are sensible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Satanas
Yes, that seems reasonable.

As I mentioned average person in the UK has net worth of 43k excluding home equity, and the average age is 40 years, so your figures are sensible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a bad guesstimate then haha, I am 19 (20 in a couple of weeks) so I am just on track, I do need to get a job soon though - not had a 'proper job' before (all of mine thus far have been small paid, couple hours work here and there)
Reply 27
Original post by Gloomymillennial
At least £200,000

What about these days?
Original post by Doones
I bet 95%+ of people don't save anything like as much as that... :frown:

Also, put it in an Investment ISA or a pension?

Original post by Reue
I expect most dont.

And both.

The earlier you get started on a pension the better - growth can be compounded for longer.
It is a closer call between S&S ISA (taxed money going in) and Pension (tax on the way out) when you are a basic rate tax payer. Once you are in to higher rate tax then the pension is much more tax efficient but you still can't access the money till 55 or 57 or whatever age it is by then so some ISA is still wise.
Reply 29
Original post by ReadingMum
The earlier you get started on a pension the better - growth can be compounded for longer.

Surely if they started in march '21 rather than Dec '16 then that'd be better?
Time in the market rather than Timing the market.
Whacking a load into pensions in mid March 2020 would probably have been a good move with hindsight but it could have carried on down for some time rather than actually rallying pretty quickly. Its a long game.

Latest

Trending

Trending