The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yt7777
BTECs are more valued in the real world, they have higher employability than A levels for both graduates (80% vs 73%) and non graduates (49% vs 45%)

This is misleading. The real answer for employers is neither. I know something about this because my family's company will not touch either on their own.

A levels are really for university entrance purposes. BTEC's are really caught between things and tend to be the refuge of those who did poorly in GCSE. And the hands on work they provide is usually of such low level as to be useless. A level do even less practical work but the academics are better. But we avoid both.

Employers far prefer professional certifications from Microsoft and such.
Reply 21
Original post by Ribenas
Wouldn't* or would not :laugh:

Fantastic, I study Computer Science, who give a **** about grammer

would love it if you could actually give a decent response to my first pot to you though
Reply 22
Original post by ploopyploop
This is misleading. The real answer for employers is neither. I know something about this because my family's company will not touch either on their own.

A levels are really for university entrance purposes. BTEC's are really caught between things and tend to be the refuge of those who did poorly in GCSE. And the hands on work they provide is usually of such low level as to be useless. A level do even less practical work but the academics are better. But we avoid both.

Employers far prefer professional certifications from Microsoft and such.

Some of the units in the IT BTEC include professional certification including Microsoft, CCNA, Cisco and CompTia
Original post by yt7777
x

1) It is not grammar it is spelling
2) It is not grammer is it grammar
3) It is not pot it is post

But yeah that BTEC was really useful :wink:

Anyway...

In response to your first *post :laugh:since BTEC is a vocational qualification without any exams, it is therefore seen as not testing students because it is not exam based.Thus the top universities are less likely to accept you (this varies from degree to degree).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
Some of the units in the IT BTEC include professional certification including Microsoft, CCNA, Cisco and CompTia

Not the ones that matter. They provide a start point.
Reply 25
Original post by ploopyploop
Not the ones that matter. They provide a start point.

How on earth could you know that for sure, still better than what you learn in A level Computing
Original post by yt7777
How on earth could you know that for sure, still better than what you learn in A level Computing

It's a waste of time arguing with some people - these aren't opinions that are based on evidence or information - they're based on gut feel and stereotypes.

No matter how much evidence these self-appointed judges of "quality" will ignore it in favour of their prejudice :nope: they're not willing to debate in good faith. It's much easier for them to poke fun and make smug comments about McDegrees because it makes them feel better about their own choices.
Reply 27
Original post by PQ
It's a waste of time arguing with some people - these aren't opinions that are based on evidence or information - they're based on gut feel and stereotypes.

No matter how much evidence these self-appointed judges of "quality" will ignore it in favour of their prejudice :nope: they're not willing to debate in good faith. It's much easier for them to poke fun and make smug comments about McDegrees because it makes them feel better about their own choices.

Yeah I guess but occasionally you get to talk to decent people who actually listen, look at the facts and agree with you
Original post by yt7777
Yeah I guess but occasionally you get to talk to decent people who actually listen, look at the facts and agree with you

It's worth presenting the facts - but don't waste your energy trying to convince people who's first response is mockery and who respond to evidence with nit picking - they aren't going to change their mind and they're just trying to waste your time. Anyone who is impartial reading the thread will see that :yes:

It's a shame that there are so many people on TSR who seem to feel that they can only justify their own life choices by mocking or belittling other people's decisions.
Original post by Ribenas
What do you mean I already responded to your first point. It clearly shows how incompetent you're :laugh: nice try though sport :wink:

Is your dad bigger than his dad too :flute:
Reply 30
Original post by Ribenas
What do you mean I already responded to your first point. It clearly shows how incompetent you're :laugh: nice try though sport :wink:

Not properly, you said something like it depends and you cant be a biology professor with out A levels

read the actual feedback and opinions that I have received from industry professionals, they value BTECs! its a fact
(edited 8 years ago)
Since people are unable to discuss this without being insulting or patronising, I am closing this thread. OP has had answers.

Latest