The Student Room Group

British,English,Scottish,Irish or European?

Which do you see yourself as and why?

For those from ethnic minority backgrounds,do you feel like the country of your first language comes first and then British second or the other way around?

Does anyone feel a lot more European than British?

I see myself as an Italian and Levantine first and then British/European second.

Would like to see some of your responses :smile:

Not hateful comments please

Scroll to see replies

Scottish and that's it.
Reply 2
Full English.
Reply 3
I feel american but im not at all.
Reply 4
Irish/Northern Irish. I'm technically half British but I don't accept it as my nationality at all.
Reply 5
Original post by Foo.mp3
Primarily British, then English, European, Scottish, and finally Irish :u:

I'm from London, my parents from Northern England, I have Scots/Irish heritage too, and I see myself as a European, albeit not before my country

We'll soon change that :h:

Why European before Scottish?

We will? I guess I feel British has always come second. Don't really know why
I consider myself to be British not European, I use British before use English
I'm half English, half Scottish and although I live in England I see myself more Scottish tbh, I don't have a Scottish accent or anything but idk. Ahah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
British.
Reply 9
British priarily, unless we're talking about football, then it's English.
British doesn't work as the English are more German than Celtic, the Scottish are Celtic-Norse and the Welsh are Celtic. Soo...
Welsh, then British.

I don't think I've ever referred to myself as European, don't think I ever will, either.
Chinese and then British Chinese
I see myself as British, when in Britain. When I'm outside Britain, I'm rather grateful of my Dutch family and so I consider myself Dutch I guess :biggrin:
Reply 14
My parents are Pakistan but I'm born and bred in London, I even have the accent. I don't know, I guess I side with British, but even then I don't care too much about my national identity.
I can't tell what my first language is really as my relatives spoke both English and Bangla around me as I grew up.

Otherwise, I consider myself British
I am not ethnically British (well I am 25% Scottish at least but doesn't really count) but it is my nationality however I have dual citizenship and I consider myself both equally.

I wasn't born in England, however I speak English perfectly and I don't believe I have any remnants of my old accent, I believe due to the lack of major differences between the culture I grew up in and British culture, there was little integration needed.
(edited 8 years ago)
If asked where I'm from I'd say Britain but I identify with being European (unless the footies on, Eng-er-laaand)
Reply 18
Whatever you identify as, we can all agree at least it's not the Welsh.
I do not have any loyalty to this country when it's ran by the bullingdon club so would definitely not identify as British despite being born here.

Quick Reply

Latest