The Student Room Group

med school choices

(5 year med) very fortunately, i have 3 offers and am deliberating what to firm between manchester and king's

if i went to king's i dont know what i would do about accommodation because london rent is sky high. i could live at home but this would be crap and i wouldnt be bringing any girls home after a night out lmao. i like the course style, but i just hear...... bad things..... about kings. rock bottom for student satisfaction? TF is that about lol. also apparently the social scene is dry

manchester loved the uni, social life, accommodation, prices etc. but not too sure how well i'll adapt to PBL. honestly is pbl BS or is it solid; i feel like its not as 'rigorous' as traditional, requires assloads of motivation, and is poorly structured? but these may simply be myths that i wish someone could come in and dispel :frown:

my gut instinct is going towards manchester, should i follow it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hi-zen-berg
(5 year med) very fortunately, i have 3 offers and am deliberating what to firm between manchester and king's

if i went to king's i dont know what i would do about accommodation because london rent is sky high. i could live at home but this would be crap and i wouldnt be bringing any girls home after a night out lmao. i like the course style, but i just hear...... bad things..... about kings. rock bottom for student satisfaction? TF is that about lol. also apparently the social scene is dry

manchester loved the uni, social life, accommodation, prices etc. but not too sure how well i'll adapt to PBL. honestly is pbl BS or is it solid; i feel like its not as 'rigorous' as traditional, requires assloads of motivation, and is poorly structured? but these may simply be myths that i wish someone could come in and dispel :frown:

firstly wow well done on getting 3 offers and yes definitely follow your gut instinct you dont want to go to a uni (especially for 5 years) that you are not drawn to. also, imo i love manchester so i might be a bit biased. I'm also applying to manchester next year can i ask what your stats are like thanks :smile:
Original post by medicapplicant
firstly wow well done on getting 3 offers and yes definitely follow your gut instinct you dont want to go to a uni (especially for 5 years) that you are not drawn to. also, imo i love manchester so i might be a bit biased. I'm also applying to manchester next year can i ask what your stats are like thanks :smile:

Hmm yeah. Rockkkk bottom for student satisfaction just shook me

6A* 5A
AAAB
680 ukcat

So a pretty standard academic set for medicine. I did a lot of volunteering and essays and science competitions outside of school. Always more than happy to help btw!
Reply 3
i currently go to kings and it is the most amazing university ever. i am obviously being biased but i dont think i coudl be happier anywhere else, all my friends who are medics are absolutely loving it as well. remember, london can offer extremely diverse kinds of diseases and people , it honestly is an experience unique to being in the busy centre. is manchester dissection? because anatomy dept here is insane so look into the module availability and teaching methods :smile: x
Always go with your gut imho.

Anyway, PBL might be a pain (I never did it so I don't have an opinion either way) but it'll only be during the first two years afaik, and then after that you're out on placement anyway.

As for how rigorous it is, well that depends on you. Perhaps it's not as didactic as lectures, but if you're the sort of person who's quite lax and puts in the bare minimum when it comes to studying, you'll find a way to be procrastinate even with the most traditional course in the world. I think a lot of this comes back to you as an individual - if you want to learn and do well, you'll settle into PBL and do well anyway. In short: don't let minor differences and semantics put you off!
Reply 5

You got into several medical schools but you don't know to capitalise your "i". :tongue:

Always best to follow your instinct!

I won't the same choice as I also had one offer for medicine - (St Georges). But I'm happy as u only need one offer and I like St Georges.

Manc and KIngs are both great. Go for your feeling.
Reply 7

6A* 5A
AAAB
680 ukcat

So a pretty standard academic set for medicine. I did a lot of volunteering and essays and science competitions outside of school. Always more than happy to help btw!

whooooaaaaahhhhh wait a minute
u got an offer from Kings with 6A* in gcse
and 680 in UKCAT
OMG why on earth didn't i apply uggghhhhh I'm so pessimistic
Original post by MevMev
whooooaaaaahhhhh wait a minute
u got an offer from Kings with 6A* in gcse
and 680 in UKCAT
OMG why on earth didn't i apply uggghhhhh I'm so pessimistic

haha well obvs we have to apply to our strengths etc but nothing wrong with putting 1 of the 4 choices as somewhere you really admire/prestige/whatever

I feel like King's is overrated because of its history but it's rock solid ofc

Where did you apply
Reply 9

hahhaa i just realised that you were the same person! forget my question on the other post! go with gut instinct, but london is GREAT and so is kings! ask me any qs if u want too x
Reply 10
haha well obvs we have to apply to our strengths etc but nothing wrong with putting 1 of the 4 choices as somewhere you really admire/prestige/whatever

I feel like King's is overrated because of its history but it's rock solid ofc

Where did you apply

OMG i have the same stats as u pretty much but i thought kings was too risky so i put st georges down instead - would have loved to have applied to Kings
but I'm not so fussed cos i have heard rumours about kings- still a fantastic historic uni though
and I got an unconditional from Nottingham anyway :biggrin:
but yeah its so annoying u would rather regret doing something that not doing something and thinking WHAT IF later you know??
Original post by MevMev
OMG i have the same stats as u pretty much but i thought kings was too risky so i put st georges down instead - would have loved to have applied to Kings
but I'm not so fussed cos i have heard rumours about kings- still a fantastic historic uni though
and I got an unconditional from Nottingham anyway :biggrin:
but yeah its so annoying u would rather regret doing something that not doing something and thinking WHAT IF later you know??

Yeah the 'what ifs' are always worse!

Looool 'rumours' yeah couldn't put it better; The winds carry whispers about administration and student feedback

That's awesome Nottingham is the one with a huge lake in campus? I loved it went to open day.

Campus life > city like london? Craving that student experience

6A* 5A
AAAB
680 ukcat

thanks
Reply 13
Yeah the 'what ifs' are always worse!

Looool 'rumours' yeah couldn't put it better; The winds carry whispers about administration and student feedback

That's awesome Nottingham is the one with a huge lake in campus? I loved it went to open day.

Campus life > city like london? Craving that student experience

the whispers in the wind together with my self doubts prevented me from taking the risk with kings- but i do look back sometimes and think "oh i could have gone to a global top 20 uni and u know the prestige of KCL :smile:

But I'm so grateful that i got Nottingham not gonna be bitter about KCL cos the campus at notts is gorgeous and its a 5 year course and i like the teaching style and accommodation and everything about Notts :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending