The Student Room Group

What are your opinions on plus sized models?

What size do you class as plus size?
What size would you be if you could alter your own figure?
What are your opinions on the UK average being a size 16?

Scroll to see replies

I should probably state that i love plus sized models and have many friends who are sizes 16, 18, 20 and more
Original post by GreekTea

I don't class anything as 'plus size'. The sizes on labels are just numbers - they vary from shop to shop, so someone who is a size 10 in one shop can be a 14 in another. I'd consider someone 'plus size' if they were medically overweight and therefore unhealthy, I guess.

I don't wish to alter my own figure.

As I said before, sizes can vary from shop to shop, so saying the average is a 16 is vague - it would be better if there were average dimensions for bust, waist and hips, but even then two people can have similar dimensions and be completely different weights.
Reply 3
I class size 14 as plus size. I wouldn't want to be a different size, as I'm happy being a size 8. I think it's bad that the average size is 16. Britain needs to go gym.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think plus size is size 18
I'm happy with my size (8 or 10)
Size 16 is bigger than I thought- I thought it would be 14
Original post by connieiscrazy
I don't class anything as 'plus size'. The sizes on labels are just numbers - they vary from shop to shop, so someone who is a size 10 in one shop can be a 14 in another. I'd consider someone 'plus size' if they were medically overweight and therefore unhealthy, I guess.

I don't wish to alter my own figure.

As I said before, sizes can vary from shop to shop, so saying the average is a 16 is vague - it would be better if there were average dimensions for bust, waist and hips, but even then two people can have similar dimensions and be completely different weights.

Great response. My plus sized friend recently went to 'yours clothing' and the till workers said she wasn't even plus sized. However, she took 4 SIZES LARGER there, than in her usual store.
I also find it annoying that i can not shop at YOURS because i'm not 'big' enough- it's a real shame that plus sized shops don't cater for thinner girls, just as it is that standard shops don't cater for bigger girls.
My personal view is that people come in all sizes and even if they are unhelthy, if they are happy- it's their choice.
Plus size is 10+

Actually, no. When you no longer can find your size in regular stores or have to shop at the plus size section of the store.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ellie0497
I think plus size is size 18
I'm happy with my size (8 or 10)
Size 16 is bigger than I thought- I thought it would be 14

It is based on the average height of 5''5 also.
Original post by arfah
I class size 14 as plus size. I wouldn't want to be a different size, as I'm happy being a size 8. I think it's bad that the average size is 16. Britain needs to go gym.

Don't you worry that the current Gym epidemic is causing an increase in annorexia and women dropping below the nationally proclaimed 'healty' weight of 9-11 stone based on a height of 5ft5-5ft7?
Great response. My plus sized friend recently went to 'yours clothing' and the till workers said she wasn't even plus sized. However, she took 4 SIZES LARGER there, than in her usual store.
I also find it annoying that i can not shop at YOURS because i'm not 'big' enough- it's a real shame that plus sized shops don't cater for thinner girls, just as it is that standard shops don't cater for bigger girls.
My personal view is that people come in all sizes and even if they are unhelthy, if they are happy- it's their choice.

Exactly, it's useless. And have you heard of vanity sizing (where bigger sizes are passed off as smaller so you feel as if you have become thinner and are buying a smaller size)? I really don't pay attention to sizes in shops - if the clothes are flattering, I buy them, regardless of what is on the label.
Plus size 16+ but I want to be a size 10-12 like I used to be :emo:
Original post by xobeauty
Plus size is 10+

Actually, no. When you no longer can find your size in regular stores or have to shop at the plus size section of the store.

In which case, considering the nationally proclaimed healthy weight for a woman is 9-10 stone based on a height of 5ft5-5ft7, how would you feel if all stores stopped selling sizes 0, 00, 2, 4, 6, and potentially 8 due to these sizes being deemed 'unhealthy'?
I wouldn't class it as plus size until size 18 plus but I know people that class size 10 as plus size. As long as people are a healthy weight and happy with themselves then I don't think it really matters what size they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Indieboohoo1
Plus size 16+ but I want to be a size 10-12 like I used to be :emo:

There will always be somebody bigger than you, thinner than you, taller than you, shorter than you,paler than you and more tanned than you. Many suffer from disabilities.

But everybody is beautiful to somebody.
Original post by connieiscrazy
Exactly, it's useless. And have you heard of vanity sizing (where bigger sizes are passed off as smaller so you feel as if you have become thinner and are buying a smaller size)? I really don't pay attention to sizes in shops - if the clothes are flattering, I buy them, regardless of what is on the label.

Sizes just give you a general idea to what to pick up. If you're a size 16 you're not going to look in the 3-4 section first.
Original post by Spock's Socks
I wouldn't class it as plus size until size 18 plus but I know people that class size 10 as plus size. As long as people are a healthy weight and happy with themselves then I don't think it really matters what size they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a very mature and respectable opinion to have and i thank you for sharing it.
I don't have an opinion of them, I mean if there is a market for what they are doing then it is only fair that they should be allowed to pursue it, I find the fact that average dress size is 16 quite problematic but I guess it really depends on the age range.

It's not particularly healthy but I understand some people don't care and don't want to be seen as attractive. But it is definitely not attractive.
In which case, considering the nationally proclaimed healthy weight for a woman is 9-10 stone based on a height of 5ft5-5ft7, how would you feel if all stores stopped selling sizes 0, 00, 2, 4, 6, and potentially 8 due to these sizes being deemed 'unhealthy'?

What's that in pounds? why would they stop selling those sizes?

What size are you m8?
well, let's ask the male version: what do you think of short male models?

Quick Reply

Latest