The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ikhan94
You have to have faith and believe in God even if there is no evidence, that is the test. :smile:

why would this all powerful, all merciful, all benevolent test you if it knows the result?

It is also a pathetic argument considering people say these things to children with leukaemia...

Plus, this all knowing, omnipresent god didn't need to "test" humans for 98,000 years... then what? god got bored?
Original post by Howard
Most religious people accept that the Universe was caused by the big bang too. In fact, it was a catholic priest called Lemaître that first put forward the theory.

I don't think that there's any reason to thing of the big bang as the action of an omnipotent eternal being though.

Yeah I know. I may even believe in it myself.

Regarding your second point: why not? Even Einstein believed in a sort of God.
Original post by Scrappy-coco
How can you agree with him when you just mentioned one possible interpretation of quantum mechanics, especially when there are many that are deterministic, which would make his point invalid?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's all it is .... interpretation.... everything thing is. Every belief secular or non-secular... an interpretation.

He is right though. It has been sharted on by academia. If People want to believe things without fact to back it that's up to them, they do it all time, so an interpretation is merely an interpretation since not many people give weight to proven physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeologyMaths
Science is a human invented phenomena

Science is not simply made up, it can be proven.
Reply 444
Original post by champ_mc99

Regarding your second point: why not? Even Einstein believed in a sort of God.

I don't think what Einstein believed is very important.

I just can't think why we should consider the big bang as the action of an omnipotent eternal being. Just because we don't know absolutely all the ins and outs of the event doesn't mean we should stuff a god into the equation.
Reply 445
Original post by champ_mc99

You should really do more than believe it. You should accept it as a scientific fact. It's not really a question of faith.
Original post by Good bloke
No it wasn't. The Big Bang Theory did not exist until the twentieth century.

oh my actual days lol
it always existed cos it actually happened and it was mentioned in the quran i have seen it :smile:
@APPLICANT2016
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MevMev
oh my actual days
it always existed cos it actually happened and it was mentioned in the quran i have seen it
@APPLICANT2016

You don't know the difference between the Big Bang and the BIg Bang Theory then?
You don't know the difference between the Big Bang and the BIg Bang Theory then?

big bang was described in the quran like ages ago and the theory was invented in 20th century
so now both are compatible if ygm :smile:
Original post by MevMev
big bang was described in the quran

This has been debunked countless times.
This has been debunked countless times.

lol as if i know what 'debunked' means :wink:
It means "shown to be nonsense".

lol whatever fam :smile:
Reply 452
The fact that our minds are impenetrable in that scientists can observe our bodies and our brains among other material substances but not our minds leads to the conclusion that there must be some immaterial substance (e.g. Our minds). The ideal conclusion would be a God but that can be used to argue for the existence of anything of the supernatural.
Reply 453
Original post by EC3
The fact that our minds are impenetrable in that scientists can observe our bodies and our brains among other material substances but not our minds leads to the conclusion that there must be some immaterial substance (e.g. Our minds). The ideal conclusion would be a God but that can be used to argue for the existence of anything of the supernatural.

scientists can very much observe our "Minds" in the fact that scans can show what we are thinking about by which parts of the brain become active etc.
Reply 454
Original post by mangala
scientists can very much observe our "Minds" in the fact that scans can show what we are thinking about by which parts of the brain become active etc.

Yes They can certainly observe what parts of the brain becomes active and compare this with peopl claiming to think certain things or perhaps with certain addictions. However, they can not directly observe and penetrate into our thoughts the way we could do perhaps with a piece of Iron for example. Only you can directly observe your thoughts, making them impenetrable. All we have to go by is behaviour, for example, someone having two direct mental experiences could have similar brain patterns but you wouldn't know. We could both dislike the taste of lemon but that taste to me might be very different to you. Hence, our minds are impenetrable and therefore immaterial giving the grounds for some sort of supernatural beyond the observable.
Original post by Howard
I don't think what Einstein believed is very important.

I just can't think why we should consider the big bang as the action of an omnipotent eternal being. Just because we don't know absolutely all the ins and outs of the event doesn't mean we should stuff a god into the equation.

I guess that's why we can consider God as a possibility and choose to believe in Him if all other possibilities seem weak in reasoning to the individual. If the thought of having a God as a creator actually fills in the gaps and flaws of the universe being created, then there's nothing wrong with believing in him.
I just mentioned Einstein because whilst many people look up to him
as an influential figure in science there must have been some firm scientific justification as to why he believed this. But yeah I guess it may not matter (depending on the individual of course ).

Original post by Howard
You should really do more than believe it. You should accept it as a scientific fact. It's not really a question of faith.

I haven't done enough research yet into the evidence given. But for a theist the belief in the big bang would hardly affect his own beliefs about God (if the believe God is the cause).

P.S I'm on mobile so my grammar is poo.
Reply 456
Original post by EC3
Yes They can certainly observe what parts of the brain becomes active and compare this with peopl claiming to think certain things or perhaps with certain addictions. However, they can not directly observe and penetrate into our thoughts the way we could do perhaps with a piece of Iron for example. Only you can directly observe your thoughts, making them impenetrable. All we have to go by is behaviour, for example, someone having two direct mental experiences could have similar brain patterns but you wouldn't know. We could both dislike the taste of lemon but that taste to me might be very different to you. Hence, our minds are impenetrable and therefore immaterial giving the grounds for some sort of supernatural beyond the observable.

just because something is not physical, why does that mean it must be something supernatural? i don't understand the logic

just because we have a hard time observing the mind currently, doesn't mean that we'll never understand it
Original post by MevMev
lol whatever fam :smile:

Quotes or it didn't happen please
Original post by leavingthecity
Quotes or it didn't happen please

ah cba mate
do really have to look for the quote just type it on the internet
Original post by EC3

No. As has been said, we've mapped some of the brain, and can observe it's activity. The fact is it is very complex and it will take us a while to understand consciousness. It feels like consciousness is something more than physical, sure, but we will understand it in biological terms one day in theory. Your comment is akin to saying that we don't have an understanding of computers and cannot penetrate their internal processes. Yes, I may only see what displays on the monitor and then take apart the thing and be confused as to why I cannot see anything like what I saw on the monitor going on inside, but some dude who works at HP or Dell or whatever who built the thing and some dude who wrote the software sure does. Just like our brains have, they've harnessed electrical signals, though our brains are far more complex obvs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending