The Student Room Group

Help: Withdrawing Unconditional Offer + What Happens?

OK, I've come to the realisation (I'm an idiot) that I do not want to go to my unconditional choice University, University of Lincoln, this is simply down to reputation of the University, which for my course, matters quite considerably. Looking at UniStats for my course, the starting salary is £20,000, not as good as Leicester or Hull.

I firmed the unconditional in November 2015, and had offers for Leicester and Hull. Obviously I'm outside of the 7 day time frame where you can easily withdraw. I just have a few questions.

1) How would I withdraw from my unconditional? Email, Phone? Or do I ring up UCAS themselves.
2) When I firmed my unconditional, I had the choice to pick a insurance (Leicester), usually this is not the case but because it had to be firmed to convert to unconditional, I was allowed an insurance, despite the zero chance of getting into it with an unconditional. The question is if I withdraw, does my insurance turn into my firm. Track itself states my insurance is Leicester.
3) What happens in UCAS extra, how many choices are you allowed. I want to choose Leicester (if it doesn't convert to firm if I withdraw) and Hull as insurance.

I apologise for my quite specific questions, but I am honestly stuck here. I know I shouldn't of accepted the unconditional in the first place.

Thanks

EDIT: Decided against not withdrawing after all that. I'm happily content to go with Lincoln, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I regretted my impulse choice back in November. UCAS extra is too risky, the whole situation in itself is risky but thank you to @PQ for the great help.

Those who get offered an unconditional, think very carefully, the excitement of getting an unconditional clouds your judgement. Wait. Don't make the same mistake I did.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JQLeitch
OK, I've come to the realisation (I'm an idiot) that I do not want to go to my unconditional choice University, University of Lincoln, this is simply down to reputation of the University, which for my course, matters quite considerably. Looking at UniStats for my course, the starting salary is £20,000, not as good as Leicester or Hull.

I firmed the unconditional in November 2015, and had offers for Leicester and Hull. Obviously I'm outside of the 7 day time frame where you can easily withdraw. I just have a few questions.

1) How would I withdraw from my unconditional? Email, Phone? Or do I ring up UCAS themselves.
2) When I firmed my unconditional, I had the choice to pick a insurance (Leicester), usually this is not the case but because it had to be firmed to convert to unconditional, I was allowed an insurance, despite the zero chance of getting into it with an unconditional. The question is if I withdraw, does my insurance turn into my firm. Track itself states my insurance is Leicester.
3) What happens in UCAS extra, how many choices are you allowed. I want to choose Leicester (if it doesn't convert to firm if I withdraw) and Hull as insurance.

I apologise for my quite specific questions, but I am honestly stuck here. I know I shouldn't of accepted the unconditional in the first place.

Thanks

1) phone Lincoln. Do not use the words "Release", "Withdraw" or "Reject" - they have specific meanings in ucas admissions. Just explain that you don't want to take up your place with them and would like to be able to apply elsewhere through Extra or Clearing. Take names and job titles of the people you speak to and ask them to confirm in writing by email anything that say.
2) once your firm goes unconditional your insurance choice disappears despite what Track says (Leicester were informed that you have a place confirmed elsewhere and so they no longer need to hold space for you). That doesn't mean any of your original choices wont be willing to reconsider you - ring them up and explain the situation and that you're trying to work it out so that you can apply elsewhere and ask what your chances would be.
3) Technically with a confirmed place it might not be possible for you to be placed into Extra if Lincoln agree to let you go. UCAS systems are pretty rigid and Extra was never intended for people who have previously been UF. Chances are what will happen is that your application will be placed into Clearing and so it might be that you wont officially have a place until July or even August....that doesn't mean you can't have unofficial written agreement from a university that you have an offer with them - it depends how helpful UCAS are and whether they've worked out how to make their systems work for applicants instead of for themselves. Don't worry too much about the technicalities - UCAS is just a go-between system and if everyone concerned is in agreement then UCAS rules can be bypassed.

Call up Lincoln - take names and job titles, explain that you would like to be placed into Extra (ideally) or Clearing (if they can't manage Extra). Then call up your other choices to find out if they're willing to consider you again.

Keep records of who you speak to and what they say - it will prevent the new/temp staff fobbing you off with ******** when they don't know what they're talking about and so avoid you a lot of stress long term.
Original post by PQ

Keep records of who you speak to and what they say - it will prevent the new/temp staff fobbing you off with ******** when they don't know what they're talking about and so avoid you a lot of stress long term.

Can you explain this a bit more, records of who I speak to? Do you mean career advisor at sixth form, or am I missing something?
Can you explain this a bit more, records of who I speak to? Do you mean career advisor at sixth form, or am I missing something?

When you phone universities write down:
The number you dial, the full name and job title of who you speak to, what you asked(it's best if you write down what you plan to ask before calling), what they tell you, and the date/time of the call.

Just asking for the full name and job title when you get through (and making it clear you're keeping a record) will get you a better service and more reliable responses. Keeping records too protects you from any **** ups due to someone promising something outside their control.
Original post by PQ
When you phone universities write down:
The number you dial, the full name and job title of who you speak to, what you asked(it's best if you write down what you plan to ask before calling), what they tell you, and the date/time of the call.

Just asking for the full name and job title when you get through (and making it clear you're keeping a record) will get you a better service and more reliable responses. Keeping records too protects you from any **** ups due to someone promising something outside their control.

OK, that's a great idea, thank you. Do you think it's likely I'll get into UCAS Extra?
Original post by PQ
1) phone Lincoln. Do not use the words "Release", "Withdraw" or "Reject" - they have specific meanings in ucas admissions. Just explain that you don't want to take up your place with them and would like to be able to apply elsewhere through Extra or Clearing. Take names and job titles of the people you speak to and ask them to confirm in writing by email anything that say.
2) once your firm goes unconditional your insurance choice disappears despite what Track says (Leicester were informed that you have a place confirmed elsewhere and so they no longer need to hold space for you). That doesn't mean any of your original choices wont be willing to reconsider you - ring them up and explain the situation and that you're trying to work it out so that you can apply elsewhere and ask what your chances would be.
3) Technically with a confirmed place it might not be possible for you to be placed into Extra if Lincoln agree to let you go. UCAS systems are pretty rigid and Extra was never intended for people who have previously been UF. Chances are what will happen is that your application will be placed into Clearing and so it might be that you wont officially have a place until July or even August....that doesn't mean you can't have unofficial written agreement from a university that you have an offer with them - it depends how helpful UCAS are and whether they've worked out how to make their systems work for applicants instead of for themselves. Don't worry too much about the technicalities - UCAS is just a go-between system and if everyone concerned is in agreement then UCAS rules can be bypassed.

Call up Lincoln - take names and job titles, explain that you would like to be placed into Extra (ideally) or Clearing (if they can't manage Extra). Then call up your other choices to find out if they're willing to consider you again.

You are just wonderful.
OK, that's a great idea, thank you. Do you think it's likely I'll get into UCAS Extra?

I know of one case where it has happened - but it all but broke UCAS system to manage it.

Even if you can't get into Extra I'm sure you'll be able to come to an arrangement with one of your other choices. With luck and help from the universities concerned and UCAS cooperating it should be ok. And you can add negotiating skill to your cv:wink:

@LincolnUni can you help the OP with which phone number is best to call to sort this out?
Original post by PQ
I know of one case where it has happened - but it all but broke UCAS system to manage it.

Even if you can't get into Extra I'm sure you'll be able to come to an arrangement with one of your other choices. With luck and help from the universities concerned and UCAS cooperating it should be ok. And you can add negotiating skill to your cv:wink:

@LincolnUni can you help the OP with which phone number is best to call to sort this out?

Thanks for your great help.
Thanks for your great help.

No problem. I hope you get things sorted out quickly.

We might use this thread to try to scare people away from picking their firm/insurance early and picking unconditional if firmed offers without doing their research if that's ok with you :smile:
Original post by PQ

We might use this thread to try to scare people away from picking their firm/insurance early and picking unconditional if firmed offers without doing their research if that's ok with you :smile:

Absolutely fine. I impulse firmed Lincoln the moment I saw the unconditional, without researching modules, the location, league table, opinions, starting salaries etc. It took months of denial to admit I made a huge mistake. That isn't to say Lincoln isn't great for other people, it's just I have pretty decent grades ABD, I could potentially get into better Universities for me.
Original post by PQ

Already bookmarked.
Original post by PQ

Will I need any UCAS details when I ring up?
Will I need any UCAS details when I ring up?

Just your UCAS id should be plenty.
Original post by PQ
Just your UCAS id should be plenty.

Also it says on: (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/applying-to-university-and-ucas-deadlines/ucas-extra/) that I can only apply for one course with UCAS extra, this makes this situation a lot more risky. If I don't get into my firm, I'll have to go with clearing which is even more risky.
Also it says on: (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/applying-to-university-and-ucas-deadlines/ucas-extra/) that I can only apply for one course with UCAS extra, this makes this situation a lot more risky. If I don't get into my firm, I'll have to go with clearing which is even more risky.

One at a time, not just a single choice. If the first one you ask rejects you, then you apply to another etc etc...
Original post by ageshallnot
One at a time, not just a single choice. If the first one you ask rejects you, then you apply to another etc etc...

My issue is, I don't get the grades for the choice, I have absolutely no backup (insurance)
Reply 16
My issue is, I don't get the grades for the choice, I have absolutely no backup (insurance)

Correct. Clearing is your back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Correct. Clearing is your back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is risky, no guarantee.
Which is risky, no guarantee.

Less risky than being committed to a university/course you don't want to go to at results.
Original post by PQ
Less risky than being committed to a university/course you don't want to go to at results.

Sorry for reviving this thread, just one more question.

Could I ring a University on results day (if I get better than expected results) to see if they can offer me a place?

The idea is if they can offer me a place, I'll be able to withdraw from Lincoln and then go to Leicester. Not sure it works that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending