The Student Room Group

Aiming for A/A* at GCSE

Hi Guys! My name is Sophia and I'm currently in year 11! I decided to create this blog to motivate me (like pretty much everyone else) to study hard for my GCSE's. I'm on my Feb half term and starting proper revision next Sunday, as 2 weeks ago I received my exam timetable (19 exams!) and I finally realised its now or never. Im wanting to study 4 A Levels next year (German, Maths, Economics and English Literature) and then go to Uni to study finance or something to do with maths :smile:
I took my GCSE ICT exam in Jan 2016 and should get the results back next month!

My GCSE aims;

English Lit;A
English Lang;A
Maths;A*
Additional Maths;A
Science (core);A*
Science (additional);A*
RE; A*
Textiles; A
Business Studies; A*
ICT; A/A*
German; A*
Geography; A

My plan is every day after school to revise two subjects. For example on Monday I might do English Lit mind map and C3 revision and then on Tuesday I would do B5 and maths revision. On Wednesdays and Saturdays I will do all my homework and Sunday I will do whatever I feel is my weakest point.

I believe that if I study hard I can achieve these grades & at the end of the day what happens will happen :smile:

Revision methods
-looking over a chapter and making questions about each bit of information then answering the questions (this is really good to do on the bus or in the car!)
-making a mind map for english lit and re about key concepts/themes/teachings
-for english lang making a poster about the methods for each question
-for business studies mind maps about each subtopic
-textiles just making brief notes and memorising them (find this very hard to revise for!)
-Maths just making notes about the methods and having example questions to look at and practice papers
-science,practice papers and making questions about each topic and key cards
-German is just learning vocab
-Geography is memorising my notes I am making on One note!

I will keep you all updated 3/4 times a week!

If anyone has any good revision methods, please let me know down below!! (much appreciated)
Anyone want to be friends just inbox me :smile:

See you next time,

Sophia :smile:
Reply 1
Hey,
for revision guides for english lit, what do you recommend? And could you describe in more detail how you revise for english lit? Thank you!
:smile:
Original post by nm1276
Hey,
for revision guides for english lit, what do you recommend? And could you describe in more detail how you revise for english lit? Thank you!
:smile:

Im doing 'A View from the Bridge' and the two best revision guides that I have are 'york notes for GCSE' (they do loads of different books/plays) and then I have a revision guide by 'Letts' which really helped me get to grips with the story but the York notes is more in depth analysis. Both are good though.

Yes, so for English Lit i would take a theme or a main character (e.g. love) and write that in the middle on my piece of paper and then around it I will put key quotes and key moments in the play so that I remember these things in the exam and I wont be stuck for ideas. So yeah I just read these and then I ask my teacher for past questions or questions that could come up on certain topics and I do an essay on that and then just keep doing that till I use the best points.

Good luck!
Original post by futuremedic1997
This is what I did myself (got 9A*)
Maths - practice! firstly look over examples regarding a particular topic then answer questions about them!
English- i found youtube a HUGE help, especially the youtube channel Mr Bruff. What I felt was the icing on the cake was looking at A* exemplar pieces. Honestly, if you read read and read these A* exemplar pieces and analyse what they did you will be fine. Try and basically copy the structure into your own work....The questions in exams all are the same style anywayLasty id say practice....and get your teachers to mark them! thats what theyre paid for! get feedback from them and do another practice and give it back to teacher to mark!
Language- lmao i cheated in the writing and still got a B so not much i can say:biggrin:
Business - notes/mindap EXAM TECHNIQUE - theres often long answer questions in the written pap
er that i had that required evaluation skills and the "it depends rule"
Geography - very easy A* in my opinion if you just learn the stuff and be specific in your case studies

Science -learn the book inside out.....But the biggest tip is the MEMORISE MARKCHEMES for sciences! omg it actually worked!
Good luck!

Hello! Firstly, congrats on the amazing grades!
Thank you so much for those tips! (v v helpful!)

For english I will definitely look at Mr Bruff and do practice papers. Hopefully I may manage an A* as my coursework is very close to an A*!
Oh yes for business my teacher always talks about the it depends rule!
I think science is easy if you do lots of past papers! :smile:

You know for geo how did you memorise everything as there is so much to learn?!
Are you doing A Levels now? :smile:

Thank you very much once again! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by studyhardsophia
Im doing 'A View from the Bridge' and the two best revision guides that I have are 'york notes for GCSE' (they do loads of different books/plays) and then I have a revision guide by 'Letts' which really helped me get to grips with the story but the York notes is more in depth analysis. Both are good though.

Yes, so for English Lit i would take a theme or a main character (e.g. love) and write that in the middle on my piece of paper and then around it I will put key quotes and key moments in the play so that I remember these things in the exam and I wont be stuck for ideas. So yeah I just read these and then I ask my teacher for past questions or questions that could come up on certain topics and I do an essay on that and then just keep doing that till I use the best points.

Good luck!

Thankyou!! I'm in Year 10 doing AQA, and studying Romeo and juliet, An Inspector Calls, and The Strange Case of Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde! I'm just struggling to do the mind maps, so i do a theme/character, then should i do separate mind maps for language/structure, and context/stage directions? Or do I put them into the theme/character mind maps?
I'm also doing the Aqa Power and Conflict anthology, so please any help with revisinf poetry would be a huge help?
Honestly i want an A* in English literature, and am currently working at a B-its my weakest subject! :/

THANKYOU so so much!
Hello! Firstly, congrats on the amazing grades!
Thank you so much for those tips! (v v helpful!)

For english I will definitely look at Mr Bruff and do practice papers. Hopefully I may manage an A* as my coursework is very close to an A*!
Oh yes for business my teacher always talks about the it depends rule!
I think science is easy if you do lots of past papers! :smile:

You know for geo how did you memorise everything as there is so much to learn?!
Are you doing A Levels now? :smile:

Thank you very much once again! :smile:

No problem, always happy to help if you ever need advice :smile: And yeah there is a lot to learn for geo. Tbh i was really interested in the subject so i liked revising it, plus i always watched documentaries on it such as on volcanos lol! I used the CGP revision guide as well as the school textbook. If i remember correctly, there was 6 topics and it would take me an hour to read 1 topic fully from both books. Past paper questions were really repetitive for the case study questions. But it is crucial to practice these and give it to your teacher to mark because they were always going on about specific detail!
Yeah I'm doing A levels now, hoping to become a doctor :smile: so I'm trying to do 4 hours a day at least revision
(edited 8 years ago)
Honestly everyone is different but I know many people who got a generous helping of A*'s and the rest A's and did start revising till late April. Don't start pushing yourself too early or you will burn out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Failingstudent98
Honestly everyone is different but I know many people who got a generous helping of A*'s and the rest A's and did start revising till late April. Don't start pushing yourself too early or you will burn out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats a good point! I've been revising hard since september since I've had 2 uni aptitude tests and interview now A levels! Im starting to feel tired af! But this is why its vital to have other hobbies so for example i run a hell of a lot XD For me though, I'm not naturally clever, so i need to start early or i will fail! I guess its different for everybody
Original post by nm1276
Thankyou!! I'm in Year 10 doing AQA, and studying Romeo and juliet, An Inspector Calls, and The Strange Case of Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde! I'm just struggling to do the mind maps, so i do a theme/character, then should i do separate mind maps for language/structure, and context/stage directions? Or do I put them into the theme/character mind maps?
I'm also doing the Aqa Power and Conflict anthology, so please any help with revisinf poetry would be a huge help?
Honestly i want an A* in English literature, and am currently working at a B-its my weakest subject! :/

THANKYOU so so much!

Ive studied all of them! ( AIC is my fave tho :smile: ) Because I like to write a lot i do separate mind maps for everything but it doesn't matter if they overlap as that reinforces information going into your mind :biggrin:

For poetry (im not too good at) Im doing unseen poetry but we've been given anthology's to revise from. I take a poem, annotate it looking for multiple meanings and techniques and then i go onto youtube and type in *name of poem* analysis and then in a different colour i do further annotations on the poem from the yt video. Then i will write a response and get my teacher to mark it :smile: ITs all about developing your own style :biggrin:
Original post by Failingstudent98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thank you :smile: I will bear that in mind, at the moment im only really make resources so I dont think im doing that much :biggrin:
Original post by futuremedic1997
Thats a good point! I've been revising hard since september since I've had 2 uni aptitude tests and interview now A levels! Im starting to feel tired af! But this is why its vital to have other hobbies so for example i run a hell of a lot XD For me though, I'm not naturally clever, so i need to start early or i will fail! I guess its different for everybody

Oh wow! If only i had the motivation! I go figure skating every day (morning!) except sunday so I think that helps me release my stress :biggrin: What course are you planning on doing? :smile:
Reply 11
Hi! I'm also doing A View From The Bridge for my english literature paper, there's a website you might want to check out which has a very detailed analysis for every character, it's called getrevising.com :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Guys! My name is Sophia and I'm currently in year 11! I decided to create this blog to motivate me (like pretty much everyone else) to study hard for my GCSE's. I'm on my Feb half term and starting proper revision next Sunday, as 2 weeks ago I received my exam timetable (19 exams!) and I finally realised its now or never. Im wanting to study 4 A Levels next year (German, Maths, Economics and English Literature) and then go to Uni to study finance or something to do with maths :smile:
I took my GCSE ICT exam in Jan 2016 and should get the results back next month!

My GCSE aims;

English Lit;A
English Lang;A
Maths;A*
Additional Maths;A
Science (core);A*
Science (additional);A*
RE; A*
Textiles; A
Business Studies; A*
ICT; A/A*
German; A*
Geography; A

My plan is every day after school to revise two subjects. For example on Monday I might do English Lit mind map and C3 revision and then on Tuesday I would do B5 and maths revision. On Wednesdays and Saturdays I will do all my homework and Sunday I will do whatever I feel is my weakest point.

I believe that if I study hard I can achieve these grades & at the end of the day what happens will happen :smile:

Revision methods
-looking over a chapter and making questions about each bit of information then answering the questions (this is really good to do on the bus or in the car!)
-making a mind map for english lit and re about key concepts/themes/teachings
-for english lang making a poster about the methods for each question
-for business studies mind maps about each subtopic
-textiles just making brief notes and memorising them (find this very hard to revise for!)
-Maths just making notes about the methods and having example questions to look at and practice papers
-science,practice papers and making questions about each topic and key cards
-German is just learning vocab
-Geography is memorising my notes I am making on One note!

I will keep you all updated 3/4 times a week!

If anyone has any good revision methods, please let me know down below!! (much appreciated)
Anyone want to be friends just inbox me :smile:

See you next time,

Sophia :smile:

You go for it, I'll be rooting for you - I also aim to get high grades and if you want to take a look check them out here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

Also, as we do some of the same subjects - it would be great if you could leave me some tips of how best to revise them, the more ideas the merrier - good luck with your studies :smile:
Original post by ikramtbh
Hi! I'm also doing A View From The Bridge for my english literature paper, there's a website you might want to check out which has a very detailed analysis for every character, it's called getrevising.com :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! Good Luck in your exams :biggrin:
Original post by brainzistheword
You go for it, I'll be rooting for you - I also aim to get high grades and if you want to take a look check them out here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

Also, as we do some of the same subjects - it would be great if you could leave me some tips of how best to revise them, the more ideas the merrier - good luck with your studies :smile:

Thank you so much! Its so nice to meet someone with the same ambitions as yourself :biggrin: Yes i'll have a look :smile:

Good luck to you too! I'll PM you now :smile:
Sunday 21st February (REVISION UPDATE)

Was quite busy today so starting revision quite late
My plan for today is;

-finish textile manufacturing diary
-go over C3 making notes on bits I struggle with and then maybe a C3 past paper :smile:
-learn one geo case study

Not going to do much today as I have home work and I need to get ready for school tomorrow :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending