The Student Room Group

M3 question help

image.jpgCan anyone help me see where I'm going wrong in this question, it's January 2014 IAL Q5. It's gotten to the point where I've convinced myself I'm right even though I know I'm wrong 😓

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would help but I haven't done this paper yet and I don't want to ruin it as a mock.

Maybe Zacken can help you. @Zacken
Reply 2
Original post by Nathanbh321
image.jpgCan anyone help me see where I'm going wrong in this question, it's January 2014 IAL Q5. It's gotten to the point where I've convinced myself I'm right even though I know I'm wrong 😓

where is the question?
Reply 3

M(O), the weight should be just mg I think, not mg sin theta.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
M(O), the weight should be just mg I think, not mg sin theta.

But then it wouldn't be perpendicular to the line of action of mg, would it? I'm so confused. You could take the sin(a) of the whole thing but that yields the same result 😞
Reply 6
But then it wouldn't be perpendicular to the line of action of mg, would it? I'm so confused. You could take the sin(a) of the whole thing but that yields the same result 😞

I haven't checked properly - but it's either the fact that your resolving upwards on the first line should be mgsin theta or your weight in your moments equation should be mg. It's one of those two problems, I think
Reply 7

Original post by Zacken
I haven't checked properly - but it's either the fact that your resolving upwards on the first line should be mgsin theta or your weight in your moments equation should be mg. It's one of those two problems, I think

If you do not get joy give me a shout and I will post my solution to the paper
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken

The mg wouldn't give the correct solution either, so it couldn't be that. In the mark-scheme it gives (9/4rsin(theta) - rcos(theta))*mg as the moment, as if the sin(theta) was only applied to the 9/4r. Is that possible?
Reply 9
Original post by TeeEm
If you do not get joy give me a shout and I will post my solution to the paper

Yeah that would be great, thanks.
Reply 10

let Zacken help you first ...
Reply 11
The mg wouldn't give the correct solution either, so it couldn't be that. In the mark-scheme it gives (9/4rsin(theta) - rcos(theta))*mg as the moment, as if the sin(theta) was only applied to the 9/4r. Is that possible?

Right - that's exactly what you need to do. 9/4 r sin theta is the perpendicular distance, which is what you need to use for the moment equation.
Original post by Zacken
Right - that's exactly what you need to do. 9/4 r sin theta is the perpendicular distance, which is what you need to use for the moment equation.

So I tried this and got the same result, cos(theta), 9/4 rsin(theta) is longer than the perpendicular distance so as shown you need to take away rcos(theta)sin(theta)image.jpg
Reply 13
Original post by TeeEm
let Zacken help you first ...

Go ahead.
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
Go ahead.

M3, IAL, January 2014, page 4.jpg
Original post by TeeEm
M3, IAL, January 2014, page 4.jpg

Thanks, I felt like something vital was missing. Didn't think of the other component of the weight 😜. Idk what's wrong with my method but I can work with this.
Reply 16
Thanks, I felt like something vital was missing. Didn't think of the other component of the weight 😜. Idk what's wrong with my method but I can work with this.

It can be done without resolving weights, but then you need to resolve distances
you are looking at my style which might not suit everybody ...
but I think it is very clear since ...

Spoiler

Original post by TeeEm
It can be done without resolving weights, but then you need to resolve distances
you are looking at my style which might not suit everybody ...
but I think it is very clear since ...

Spoiler

This is either a reference to a song I can't quite remember, or you're being very flirtatious
Reply 18
This is either a reference to a song I can't quite remember, or you're being very flirtatious

you are probably too young
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNA7DcVppEs
[QUOTE=TeeEm;62864231]you are probably too young
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNA7DcVppEs
I didn't know whether they were the lyrics to this or 'you're the best'

Quick Reply

Latest