The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by mangala
just because something is not physical, why does that mean it must be something supernatural? i don't understand the logic

just because we have a hard time observing the mind currently, doesn't mean that we'll never understand it

I'll try and explain more clearly. All matter is penetrable. The mind is impenetrable and given the lack of empirical evidence (which science depends on) it is not unreasonable to induce that the mind is therefore immaterial. Our material bodies are penetrable but he fact that a part of us (our minds) are impenetrable and subsequently immaterial suggests there's something else out there. Hence, answering the questions of reason to believe in God due to the fact that that something else out there could possibly be a spiritual deity or atleast the existence of the soul.

Just saying that we may be able to observe the mind the mind the in the future doesn't change the fact that it's impossible at the current time (which is all we directly have to go with really) makes a belief in some sort of spiritual existence (if not just immaterial) reasonable.
Original post by MevMev
ah cba mate
do really have to look for the quote just type it on the internet

You appear to be too lazy to think and to research, which doesn't surprise me in the least.

Anyyyyywayyyy here is a quote that's come up in three sites that ranked highly when I googled this for you ugh;

'Do those who are disbelievers not see that the heavens and the earth were sewn together and then We unstitched them and that We made from water every living thing? So will they not have faith? (Surat al-Anbiya': 30) '

That is all. This is not the Big Bang sorry.

Next.
Reply 462
Original post by leavingthecity
No. As has been said, we've mapped some of the brain, and can observe it's activity. The fact is it is very complex and it will take us a while to understand consciousness. It feels like consciousness is something more than physical, sure, but we will understand it in biological terms one day in theory. Your comment is akin to saying that we don't have an understanding of computers and cannot penetrate their internal processes. Yes, I may only see what displays on the monitor and then take apart the thing and be confused as to why I cannot see anything like what I saw on the monitor going on inside, but some dude who works at HP or Dell or whatever who built the thing and some dude who wrote the software sure does. Just like our brains have, they've harnessed electrical signals, though our brains are far more complex obvs.

You can't compare a computer to the brain, the brain is much more powerful and is the computer is completely material substance unlike our minds.
Reply 463
Original post by champ_mc99
I guess that's why we can consider God as a possibility and choose to believe in Him if all other possibilities seem weak in reasoning to the individual. If the thought of having a God as a creator actually fills in the gaps and flaws of the universe being created, then there's nothing wrong with believing in him.
I just mentioned Einstein because whilst many people look up to him
as an influential figure in science there must have been some firm scientific justification as to why he believed this. But yeah I guess it may not matter (depending on the individual of course ).

I haven't done enough research yet into the evidence given. But for a theist the belief in the big bang would hardly affect his own beliefs about God (if the believe God is the cause).

P.S I'm on mobile so my grammar is poo.

I think Einstein may have retained some sort of belief precisely because he couldn't find a scientific justification to eliminate God rather than because he had a scientific justification to believe in God. In other words, Einstein's luke warm belief was based on faith, just like everybody else's is. He was willing to stuff god into the gap of scientific knowledge. But let's not forget that Einstein was writing 100 years ago - were he alive today we might speculate that he would be less willing to do that.

The Big Bang is a scientific theory. That means we can be a certain about the big bang as we can about germ theory, atomic theory, the theory of gravity, and so on. A scientific theory isn't a hypothesis - it's certain and demonstrable scientific fact. And for that reason you should accept it for what it is. I agree though that acceptance of the Big Bang as science would not necessarily affect a person's belief in god.
Original post by leavingthecity
You appear to be too lazy to think and to research, which doesn't surprise me in the least.

Anyyyyywayyyy here is a quote that's come up in three sites that ranked highly when I googled this for you ugh;

'Do those who are disbelievers not see that the heavens and the earth were sewn together and then We unstitched them and that We made from water every living thing? So will they not have faith? (Surat al-Anbiya': 30) '

That is all. This is not the Big Bang sorry.

Next.

ok so firstly i find it very offensive that u call me 'too lazy to think and do research" seeing as I'm a MEDICAL STUDENT and i think i have better things to do than prove my faith to u and lol u just wasted your own time on me how counterproductive
and loooool do u think it literally means stitching with needle and thread?? :P
@Al-Qamar
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
It means "shown to be nonsense".

Arent you meant to be an helper? :smile:
Original post by mangala
scientific, logical evidence which points towards the existence of god

convert me from atheism

The Earths size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.

Water is colorless, odorless and without taste, and yet no living thing can survive without it. Plants, animals and human beings consist mostly of water (about two-thirds of the human body is water). You'll see why the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:

The human brain processes more than a million messages a second. Your brain weighs the importance of all this data, filtering out the relatively unimportant. This screening function is what allows you to focus and operate effectively in your world. The brain functions differently than other organs. There is an intelligence to it, the ability to reason, to produce feelings, to dream and plan, to take action, and relate to other people.

Astrophysicist Robert Jastrow, a self-described agnostic, stated, "The seed of everything that has happened in the Universe was planted in that first instant; every star, every planet and every living creature in the Universe came into being as a result of events that were set in motion in the moment of the cosmic explosion...The Universe flashed into being, and we cannot find out what caused that to happen."
Although I do not adhere to any belief/ideological system nor do I fascinate with the theoretical belief of an existent God, a message was passed to me by and theist which I redeem to be engrossing and hopefully shed light onto this forum:

Yes maybe to Human knowledge natural selection was infact a proven theory, but there are many concepts which just cant be proven by so. The Human eye, the Human brain? Such flawless and complicated components of an Human body which cant be redeemed created through evolution or from matter. Tantamount to Darwin, who shared the same belief "Organs of extreme Perfection and Complication. To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree". The universe in itself, with its extraordinary space and recurrent fission, shouldnt there be a mechanism behind it? A mechanism such as God? You say there is no evidence, life and earth is evidence. We are in a perfect position from the sun, millitres away and we'd either burn or freeze to death? Were given all the substances to light on Earth? Its just a food for thought..
Original post by MevMev
ok so firstly i find it very offensive that u call me 'too lazy to think and do research" seeing as I'm a MEDICAL STUDENT and i think i have better things to do than prove my faith to u and lol u just wasted your own time on me how counterproductive
and loooool do u think it literally means stitching with needle and thread?? :P
@Al-Qamar

Why am i quoted on this???
Original post by thisgalkate
The Earths size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.

Water is colorless, odorless and without taste, and yet no living thing can survive without it. Plants, animals and human beings consist mostly of water (about two-thirds of the human body is water). You'll see why the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:

The human brain processes more than a million messages a second. Your brain weighs the importance of all this data, filtering out the relatively unimportant. This screening function is what allows you to focus and operate effectively in your world. The brain functions differently than other organs. There is an intelligence to it, the ability to reason, to produce feelings, to dream and plan, to take action, and relate to other people.

Astrophysicist Robert Jastrow, a self-described agnostic, stated, "The seed of everything that has happened in the Universe was planted in that first instant; every star, every planet and every living creature in the Universe came into being as a result of events that were set in motion in the moment of the cosmic explosion...The Universe flashed into being, and we cannot find out what caused that to happen."

This is honestly life and so profound! Seriously made me strongly ponder the existence of God to be infact true.
Original post by Oblivion99
You say there is no evidence, life and earth is evidence. We are in a perfect position from the sun, millitres away and we'd either burn or freeze to death? Were given all the substances to light on Earth? Its just a food for thought..

What a load of bull crap. You shouldn't have to think for more than two seconds as to why that is nonsense you have typed.

Why do you trot out this nonsense that is patently not true? Stick to playing your PS4 or collecting stamps.
Original post by pvaz6965
What a load of bull crap. You shouldn't have to think for more than two seconds as to why that is nonsense you have typed.

Didnt you hear it was quoted by someone else which I passed onto the thread, as a "food for thought". Not that I believe in it :/
Why do you trot out this nonsense that is patently not true? Stick to playing your PS4 or collecting stamps.

Don't do either sorry:u:
Reply 474
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I don't think there is any convincing scientific evidence for God's existence, otherwise it would be all over the news.

http://news.yahoo.com/polish-catholics-see-miracle-communion-wafer-164609894.html
Don't do either sorry:u:

Well stop trotting out rubbish you don't understand. This idea the Earth or Moon or the orbits are a perfect size is utter nonsense. It doesn't stand up to the merest seconds worth of thinking.
Well stop trotting out rubbish you don't understand. This idea the Earth or Moon or the orbits are a perfect size is utter nonsense. It doesn't stand up to the merest seconds worth of thinking.

I don't take back anything I said. I don't know who you are or why you feel the need to express your opinion in such an aggressive way but I am not going to argue with you over something that no one can truly prove. Nice knowing you xx
Original post by EC3
You can't compare a computer to the brain, the brain is much more powerful and is the computer is completely material substance unlike our minds.

I can and just did, because out brain has a material component, as does a computer, and functions by sending electrical signals, as does a computer. Your thoughts are the interpretation of these electrical impulses. The difference is, and you are right, that the brain is far more complex. Electrical signalling is happening in both of the above situations. In both cases the flow of electrons send signals/information. Whether it's opening an instance of Excel or thinking to yourself.
Reply 478
Is it really possible that we are just all here by chance and everything has formed all by itself? Could everything really evolved to this extent all by itself? Where did gravity come from? Where did matter come from? Consider how comparable maths and physics are, how all the elements have formed in a way that provide all the resources for life to live and evolve, how consciousness and life exists in the first place. I used to be agnostic btw but I just find the existence of the universe and us all too incredible to have happened by chance. I also just feel a real connection to my faith and, I know it's cheesy, but more in awe and 'at one' with the world. So that is basically my life view :smile:
Reply 479
Original post by mangala
but how do you know the qu'ran is true? don't you need proof for that too

The Qur'an is unchanged since created 1400 years ago. The smallest chapter in the Qur'an is 10 words long and has over 40 rhetorical devices used. This is excluding other aspects such as its conciseness, phonetic superiority and informativity. This is outside the capacity of humans because no book or poem has more devices etc. and therefore could be considered a miracle.

This isn't proof of its truth, but it is a factor that gives me faith to believe in God.

Some people want a simple answer to the creation of the universe but this idea is so complicated how could it have one? Is it not possible that one thing cannot be comprehended by human intelligence and logic? This is just my opinion and like someone said it does take some faith.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending