The Student Room Group

concentration and motivation

i have a really bad habit ,i am only motivated to do work at school as soon as i leave the school gate my concentration and motivation for work goes ,i literally do not work at home ,i need really good tips on how to concentrate and motivate myself to do work and also any tips on time management ?,time seems to flyy away at home ....
watch youtube videos, they're usually a lot less boring and you can just lay in bed and do nothing while still learning. i would recommend CrashCourse https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse
If you can't study at home, perhaps stay at school for a couple of hours each afternoon to get some work done. That way you can leave knowing that you've done some work that day, and it matters less if you get distracted at home later.

If that doesn't appeal to you, perhaps try going to the library instead. This really helped me when I studied for my A Levels, as the atmosphere there is really conducive to work and there are few distractions.

If you'd still rather go home, maybe try removing some of the things that are causing you to get distracted. Leave your phone in another room/with another person. Work in a quiet area, away from other people and television. Sit at a desk rather than a bed or sofa. Browser ad-ons such as Leechblock and Cold Turkey can help if you always find yourself wasting time on the internet.

It may help if you make 'to-do' lists before you go home. It doesn't matter if they're small at first, even saying to yourself that you'll do one past paper when you get home from school is a good start. That will probably make it easier than if you just think 'I have to work when I get home', as you'll have a distinct start and end point to your work for that day.

Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by chillygirl
i have a really bad habit ,i am only motivated to do work at school as soon as i leave the school gate my concentration and motivation for work goes ,i literally do not work at home ,i need really good tips on how to concentrate and motivate myself to do work and also any tips on time management ?,time seems to flyy away at home ....

I have the same problem and I've found that making a list , or a list in your head , about what you want to achieve in the future etc can help motivate you as when I feel like I'm not being productive I personally just think " if i don't do this i can't move to france". I think it's the little things.
Also , look at inspiring videos on youtube , some are really really good and made me push harder to get work done and do more for myself , and I think talking to people who've done their gcses and how they worked etc is helpful too.
Loes x
Reply 4
Original post by akritighimire
watch youtube videos, they're usually a lot less boring and you can just lay in bed and do nothing while still learning. i would recommend CrashCourse https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse

thankyou
Reply 5
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
If you can't study at home, perhaps stay at school for a couple of hours each afternoon to get some work done. That way you can leave knowing that you've done some work that day, and it matters less if you get distracted at home later.

If that doesn't appeal to you, perhaps try going to the library instead. This really helped me when I studied for my A Levels, as the atmosphere there is really conducive to work and there are few distractions.

If you'd still rather go home, maybe try removing some of the things that are causing you to get distracted. Leave your phone in another room/with another person. Work in a quiet area, away from other people and television. Sit at a desk rather than a bed or sofa. Browser ad-ons such as Leechblock and Cold Turkey can help if you always find yourself wasting time on the internet.

It may help if you make 'to-do' lists before you go home. It doesn't matter if they're small at first, even saying to yourself that you'll do one past paper when you get home from school is a good start. That will probably make it easier than if you just think 'I have to work when I get home', as you'll have a distinct start and end point to your work for that day.

Best of luck! :smile:

thankyou !!

Quick Reply

Latest