The Student Room Group

Solipsism = Nihilism?

If you believed that nothing can be proved to be real other than your own consciousness, then does that not also imply you believe life / the universe is inherently meaningless, because your life / the universe in theory could be nothing more than an elaborate simulation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
If you believed that

That's the point. Nihilists don't believe anything.
Reply 2
time for me to start googling ...
Interesting only if I can follow
Reply 3
Original post by whorace
If you believed that

That's the point. Nihilists don't believe anything.

Nihilism, or at least what most people specifcally mean when they say nihilism, is an moral concept, not an ontological concept like solipsism, so they dont conflict with each other - and in fact metaphysical nihilism (an ontological type of nihlism) pretty much is solipsism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Satanas
Nihilism, or at least what most people specifcally mean when they say nihilism, is an moral concept, not an ontological concept like solipsism, so they dont conflict with each other - and in fact metaphysical nihilism (an ontological type of nihlism) pretty much is solipsism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is a long way of saying little, or rather a long way of saying nihilists don't believe in right or wrong and don't make statements about existence. One wonders why philosophy is confined to obscure academic papers? I still do not get the point though, solipsism does not make claims to morals only existence, just because you are the only person that is real do not make your values any less real.
Reply 5
I haven't read much into Nihilism, but simply because you believe nothing is real outside of your own mind, it does not necessarily follow that you would consider life meaningless. There's a problem within your train of thought.
Reply 6
Original post by whorace
Which is a long way of saying little, or rather a long way of saying nihilists don't believe in right or wrong and don't make statements about existence. One wonders why philosophy is confined to obscure academic papers? I still do not get the point though, solipsism does not make claims to morals only existence, just because you are the only person that is real do not make your values any less real.

If you're the only thing that's real, then surely values are pointless?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bless you
Original post by whorace

Pretty much.
Reply 9
Original post by Serine Soul
Bless you

You're being patronising?

For what purpose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAQ
You're being patronising?

For what purpose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Title sounds like a sneeze