The Student Room Group

A level Philosophy (Freaking Out)

AAAH!!! So I just enrolled onto an open learning A level Philosophy course and now I'm freaking out !!!!
I'm planning to finish my A level English Language next year in summer and I've started a 2 year A level Philosophy course now whilst I'm ALSO planning to go for BTEC Level 3 Diploma Art and Design in September of 2017 !!!

WTF AM I DOING !? Does any of this make sense ? Have I spaced it out in such a way that it wont be too much stress on me? are all these combinations of two A levels and one BTEC useless ??????????

I don't think I even have a proper future University course figured out coz I'm debating between Fine Arts and Linguistics !!!!

Anyone else went or going through a similar mess of qualifications like me ??? Or am I just being dramatic as FUDGE !?????????????????????

:frown:
P.S I've looked at the Philosophy Specification again and for some reason it suddenly looks SO MUCH MORE DIFFICULT then when i scanned it before enrolling !!!!!!
My mind must be playing tricks on me but I feel like I'm about to have a break down... i also spent around £430 on the online distance learning enrollment!! what if I fail or get pathetic marks !? What an embarressment I'll be and at the cost of my mums finance too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone here taken Philosophy A level and how was it ???? by the way im doing it according to the old A level style so that should be two exams at the end of each year right ?
HELP
Original post by Archangeldemon
P.S I've looked at the Philosophy Specification again and for some reason it suddenly looks SO MUCH MORE DIFFICULT then when i scanned it before enrolling !!!!!!
My mind must be playing tricks on me but I feel like I'm about to have a break down... i also spent around £430 on the online distance learning enrollment!! what if I fail or get pathetic marks !? What an embarressment I'll be and at the cost of my mums finance too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone here taken Philosophy A level and how was it ???? by the way im doing it according to the old A level style so that should be two exams at the end of each year right ?
HELP

First of all, you need to take several breathes and really chill out.

You need to remember if you are going to take the full A-level come this Sept, you will not do the exam until 2018. Which gives you PLENTY of time to get your head around some of the issues and theories and complexities of the subject.

You are only studying BTEC which is a lot of hours, but you are only studying that and Philosophy. Compared to other students who take 3-4 other A-levels. So you are putting way too much pressure on yourself.

Distant learning is fine. If you do not get something, you can call your supervisor and they will support you. You also have many students on TSR that take this A-level too. You will not be alone to struggle with this subject. It's perfectly normal to struggle with this. Even my lecturer at uni says he's been studying Philosophy for over 20 decades and still gets confused every now and again. Philosophy isn't a subject where you will know all the answers to - that is the whole point of it - to question the things that are unquestionable!

Unless you will be entered for the AS exam and THEN the A2 (this means in your A2 year, you'll be learning the same stuff as you did in AS as well as A2, rather than just progessing) then it is similar to the old A-level style.
However, if you have enrolled to do the linear course, you will take all of your exams at the end of 2018 in June.
For more clarification, you should consult the provider for the course you are with.

Good luck!
HELP

i studied Philosophy AS for 5 months and I dropped it recently because it was extremely hard, it was awful. I tried my best and I got a U in my mock exam. Philosophy is not for everyone so make sure that you truly like it and enjoy it, because if you dont you are going to struggle to revise.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
First of all, you need to take several breathes and really chill out.

You need to remember if you are going to take the full A-level come this Sept, you will not do the exam until 2018. Which gives you PLENTY of time to get your head around some of the issues and theories and complexities of the subject.

You are only studying BTEC which is a lot of hours, but you are only studying that and Philosophy. Compared to other students who take 3-4 other A-levels. So you are putting way too much pressure on yourself.

Distant learning is fine. If you do not get something, you can call your supervisor and they will support you. You also have many students on TSR that take this A-level too. You will not be alone to struggle with this subject. It's perfectly normal to struggle with this. Even my lecturer at uni says he's been studying Philosophy for over 20 decades and still gets confused every now and again. Philosophy isn't a subject where you will know all the answers to - that is the whole point of it - to question the things that are unquestionable!

Unless you will be entered for the AS exam and THEN the A2 (this means in your A2 year, you'll be learning the same stuff as you did in AS as well as A2, rather than just progessing) then it is similar to the old A-level style.
However, if you have enrolled to do the linear course, you will take all of your exams at the end of 2018 in June.
For more clarification, you should consult the provider for the course you are with.

Good luck!

I really needed this !!! You seriously helped me get my act together and I deeply thank you for that.

I slept on my decisions and came to the same conclusion that yes I do have time to study and get my head around all the information as well as support from TSR members who have taken philosophy too !!!!

My main job now is first to find out whether the course is based on the new or old A level format !!

Thank you so much for your reply, you have calmed me down and helped me alot !!!!
Original post by sweetiemelx
i studied Philosophy AS for 5 months and I dropped it recently because it was extremely hard, it was awful. I tried my best and I got a U in my mock exam. Philosophy is not for everyone so make sure that you truly like it and enjoy it, because if you dont you are going to struggle to revise.

😦I see, I no longer have unrealistic expectations of my grades so I'm just hoping for a pass now, would you say even that would be difficult ???????
😦I see, I no longer have unrealistic expectations of my grades so I'm just hoping for a pass now, would you say even that would be difficult ???????

I don't know, you might be able to achieve a good grade it depends on how hard you are gong to work and I would advice you to get a tutor maybe, because the main problem with Philosophy is answering the exam questions. Because you are required to write straightforward,coherent answers you cant waffle. That was the case for AQA Philosophy I dont know which exam board you are doing.
Anyways good luck

Quick Reply

Latest