The Student Room Group

C3 I.Y.G.B paper a help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TeeEm
obvious "cheating" among the boards
you can do triple maths and you will never see or tested on this

An interesting question is always "what is the single transformation that's maps the curve y=f(2x) to y=f(2x+2).
Everyone says translation by vector (20) \begin{pmatrix} -2 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} :laugh:
Reply 21
Original post by B_9710
An interesting question is always "what is the single transformation that's maps the curve y=f(2x) to y=f(2x+2).
Everyone says translation by vector (20) \begin{pmatrix} -2 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} :laugh:

Yes,
they will not give that either ...
Even more interesting is to give it in context of equations
Original post by TeeEm
16 what?
toy soldiers?

£16K, my time is worth a lot of money
Reply 23
Original post by anonwinner
£16K, my time is worth a lot of money

cheque is in the post ...
Original post by TeeEm
cheque is in the post ...

Could something like Question 7 on this paper (http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/iygb_practice_papers/c3_practice_papers/c3_b.pdf) come up in an Edexcel C3 exam? I always mess these questions up and examsolutions doesn't have any tutorials on them :frown:
Reply 25
Could something like Question 7 on this paper (http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/iygb_practice_papers/c3_practice_papers/c3_b.pdf) come up in an Edexcel C3 exam? I always mess these questions up and examsolutions doesn't have any tutorials on them :frown:

this type of question has not come up in EDEXCEL for a long time but it is definitely on the syllabus
Original post by TeeEm
this type of question has not come up in EDEXCEL for a long time but it is definitely on the syllabus

Okay thanks.

Is there a name for this type of question so I can look up a guide or something?
Reply 27
Okay thanks.

Is there a name for this type of question so I can look up a guide or something?

no name ... just an application of the compound angle formulae
Original post by TeeEm
no name ... just an application of the compound angle formulae

These questions confuse me.

For example, it says A is obtuse, but if sinA=12/13 then surely A can't be obtuse? Because solving this gets A=67.4 degrees and A=112.6 degrees
Reply 29
These questions confuse me.

For example, it says A is obtuse, but if sinA=12/13 then surely A can't be obtuse? Because solving this gets A=67.4 degrees and A=112.6 degrees

there is no solving
look at the solution
Original post by TeeEm
there is no solving
look at the solution

Sorry I am not explaining very well what I mean.

"sin A = 12/13" has no solution if A is obtuse. If you try to find "cos A" from "sin A = 12/13" then you get "cos A = 5/13". "cos A = 5/13" also has no solution if A is obtuse.

But "cos A = -5/13" does have a solution, so you use this to find "sin (A+B)".

I am asking: why do you change "cos A = 5/13" to "cos A = -5/13", but not "sin A = 12/13" to "sin A = -12/13".
Reply 31

"sin A = 12/13" has no solution if A is obtuse.

Are you sure?
Original post by TeeEm
Are you sure?

wow i am dumb ffs.

Quick Reply

Latest