The Student Room Group

Chemistry formulas A2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hardy jacks
That makes so much sense! I just checked the answer and you are correct but it also adds Fe2+ which is green /fe3+ which is yellow/orange any guesses as to why this happens? When oxidation occurs is everything just breaking down??

oxidation is loss of electrons, when a species looses electrons its charge increases by +1 per electron lost

for example, Fe2+(green) ---> F3+(orange) + e-

Another way I tend to spot oxidation is by loss of oxygen e.g. H2SO4 --> H2S

hope this helps, sorry if i stated the very obvious
Original post by endgametheory
nope, its correct to think of it like that

Yay!! Thanks for all your help
Yay!! Thanks for all your help

no worries mate, if you need any help on like rates/pH etc @ me in a thread. Hopefully, I'll have finished transition metals soon! And how are you finding f324?
Original post by GO97
oxidation is loss of electrons, when a species looses electrons its charge increases by +1 per electron lost

for example, Fe2+(green) ---> F3+(orange) + e-

Another way I tend to spot oxidation is by loss of oxygen e.g. H2SO4 --> H2S

hope this helps, sorry if i stated the very obvious

Aha yep that's made it really clear thank you very much
no worries mate, if you need any help on like rates/pH etc @ me in a thread. Hopefully, I'll have finished transition metals soon! And how are you finding f324?

Thanks I will do and F324 is a dream, any help you need on that I am here for you haha
Thanks I will do and F324 is a dream, any help you need on that I am here for you haha

Yeah I agree, but NMR is the biggest pain ever. And apparently they're not being friendly with f324 papers anymore, sucks to be us lmao.
Yeah I agree, but NMR is the biggest pain ever. And apparently they're not being friendly with f324 papers anymore, sucks to be us lmao.

Yeah it figures , we're gonna have to know the content inside out. i have a good teacher for NMR that's how I got through the pain

Quick Reply

Latest