The Student Room Group

White people are underrepresented in the American music industry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SYYAAM97
I dont get why drake and the weeknd etc... get classed as black when they are litterally half white half black.

Abel isn't half white lol
No. Not at all. Don't white people make up majority of the USA? I'll say yes to that. So why wouldn't majority of popular artists be white?
Maybe the people you listed and other popular artists just happen to make music others like without their race playing a role? I don't know.
Original post by Truths
This is very true. The genres that are popping atm all stem from black culture. And I'm referring to House & Hip Hop. So it would only make sense for blacks to be overrepresented, which they don't seem to be anyway.

Spoiler

Original post by HepaxLegomenon
Just out of curiosity I decided to google the top 40 at the moment in the US and figure out what percentage of artists/groups are black, white or other.

My findings (Only band/artist names are noted -- not the songs they are on the top 40 with):

Justin Bieber - white
21 Pilots - white
Rihanna - black
Adele - white
Flo Rida - black
The Chainsmokers with Rozes - white and white
Selena Gomez - hispanic
Drake - black
Alessia Cara - white
Shawn Mendes - white
G-eazy and Bebe Rexha - white and white
The Weeknd - black
Meghan Trainor and John Legend - white and black
Bryson Tiller - black
Post Malone - white
Future - black
Daya - asian

Note: Please forgive if I wrote the wrong ethnicity for a certain band or artist, I only googled it so I'm sure it's not completely correct. I do realise that there are one or two English artists in the list but I am using figures on population from a 2010 US census just to keep from complicating things.

So in conclusion:
10 out of 20 white = 50%
8 out of 20 black = 40%
2 out of 20 other = 10%

Bearing in mind that the US is approximately 13% black and 72% white, and therefore 15% other, is it then fair to conclude that black people are over-represented and white people underrepresented in the American music industry?

Sources: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/2010_census/cb11-cn125.html and http://www.vmusic.com.au/charts/billboard-top-40-singles-chart.aspx

Interesting. I don't think we can see institutionalised racism against whites in society from the top 40, but it certainly raises questions.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Abel isn't half white lol

He's Ethiopian, so he's classed as Caucasian.
Original post by asmuse123
He's Ethiopian, so he's classed as Caucasian.

Being caucasian doesn't necessarily mean that you're white.
Reply 46
why do white people do this? you make white people look bad...smh
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Being caucasian doesn't necessarily mean that you're white.

No, but his facial structure and skin colour is linked to him being Caucasian. Blame the Arabs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending