The Student Room Group

getting 62 mpg from £13 fuel, but use a further 9 litres and drops to 50 mpg ?

Did a 180 mile journey today, began with a full tank of fuel, after journey it cost £13 to fill up to brim again, so 13 litres which equates to 62 mpg approx.

However, it would have taken approx. 70 miles more until I was at half fuel point. it takes 22 litres to fill from half to brim. so if calculated, 250 miles at 22 litres of fuel, it would be approx 51 mpg.
so how by driving just 70 more miles using 9 litres more fuel causes my mpg to go from 62 mpg to 51 mpg ?

ty
It depends on your driving style

A nice flat road driven at the optimum speed will provide the best mpg

Driving like a nutter on a cold engine uphill on twisty roads and loads of start stops, gear changes will drop mpg like a stone
Original post by I love life
Did a 180 mile journey today, began with a full tank of fuel, after journey it cost £13 to fill up to brim again, so 13 litres which equates to 62 mpg approx.

However, it would have taken approx. 70 miles more until I was at half fuel point. it takes 22 litres to fill from half to brim. so if calculated, 250 miles at 22 litres of fuel, it would be approx 51 mpg.
so how by driving just 70 more miles using 9 litres more fuel causes my mpg to go from 62 mpg to 51 mpg ?

ty
I fully answered this same question asked by you some time ago (post #14 in this thread):

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=60493295&highlight=

Fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Half way mark on the gauge cannot be relied on to indicate the tank is accurately half-full.

Driving in an urban area will not produce the same mpg as driving at a constant speed on a motorway.

Why are you having so much trouble understanding this?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by uberteknik
I fully answered this same question asked by you some time ago (post #14 in this thread):

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=60493295&highlight=

Fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Half way mark on the gauge cannot be relied on to indicate the tank is accurately half-full.

Driving in an urban area will not produce the same mpg as driving at a constant speed on a motorway.

Why are you having so much trouble understanding this?

ok, when the gauge is reading half full are you saying there is much more than half left in the tank ?
How is one supposed ot measure mpg if the gauge is not accurate
Original post by I love life
ok, when the gauge is reading half full are you saying there is much more than half left in the tank ?
How is one supposed ot measure mpg if the gauge is not accurate

There may be more than exactly half a tank or there may be less than exactly half a tank.

I told you in the previous thread back in November last year how to measure your fuel consumption accurately and you followed those instructions to arrive at 62 m.p,g. on a 180 mile journey.

The gauge is only there to tell you approximately how much fuel you have so you can estimate when to fill up so that you do not run out of fuel.

The gauge is not there to tell you how many m.p.g. you can achieve with any degree of accuracy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending