The Student Room Group

Do You Like Russian Food / Drinks ?

Does anyone on this site enjoy Russian food (or drinks) ? I am curious !

Are you familiar with Russian food and dishes or with the Russian national cuisine ?
If you are, is there a specific dish, food or drink that YOU personally like and prefer best .. or find most delicious ?

Have you ever tried Russian food ? Did you ever purchase it ?
Either here in the UK or on your visit abroad .. or maybe even during your trip / stay in Russia (if ever) ?

If you have (and wish to share your experiences with that), I will be interested to hear !

How about - for example - pelmeni * (dumplings) or bliny (pancakes) or Napoleon ** (a cake) or borsch (soup) or kvas (a drink) ? ..

[ * Credit goes to the Chinese cuisine too ].
[ ** Credit goes to the French cuisine too ].

Maybe you have tried cooking some Russian food or dishes yourself, at some stage ?
Or maybe you used and applied some recipes to do that ? How did it turn out ?

If you know some recipes (s) for whatever Russian food or drink and want to share it on TSR, by all means please feel free to post in my thread !

Maybe you even know some Russian dish / food / drink that I do not ?
In that case, I am intrigued and - again - I am curious to hear about it from you !

Do you - by any chance - find Russian food / drinks or the Russian national cuisine exotic ?
If you do, why ?

Many thanks to everyone for reading and, in advance, for your contributions if any !

Scroll to see replies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dressed_herring
There are no words to describe how disgusting this is. I tried a tiny amount, nearly threw up, and wasted my drink trying to wash out the taste. :puke:

Blini are nice, but only with cheese .

Kvas is pretty good. Doesn't quite compare to coke but is nice for a change. I like the more yeasty ones than the soda-y kind.

Kefir is delicious. I'm not traditional, I like the fruit flavored kefir best.

I had some really good mushroom pelmeni. I don't think that's a common flavor but the chicken ones make me feel sick.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Wodka
Nah too bland.. I find foods from countries with next to no variety in ethnicity other than white to always be bland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Superhotfire
Nah too bland.. I find foods from countries with next to no variety in ethnicity other than white to always be bland.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I think that, within the Russian Federation as a whole (and quite possibly within Russia itself), there are almost definitely ethnic varieties, at least to some extent, or maybe various ethnic groups or nationalities.
And actually - I suppose - those ethnic groups or nationalities may have their own original national cuisines, foods or drinks which could be different from those of the Russian national or traditional cuisine. I think researching this could give some more specific results and explanation.
Reply 5
Original post by Sabertooth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dressed_herring
There are no words to describe how disgusting this is. I tried a tiny amount, nearly threw up, and wasted my drink trying to wash out the taste. :puke:

Blini are nice, but only with cheese .

Kvas is pretty good. Doesn't quite compare to coke but is nice for a change. I like the more yeasty ones than the soda-y kind.

Kefir is delicious. I'm not traditional, I like the fruit flavored kefir best.

I had some really good mushroom pelmeni. I don't think that's a common flavor but the chicken ones make me feel sick.

Many thanks for that detailed and varied contribution, much appreciated !
And thank you for posting and sharing the link with the recipe !
Yes I have definitely heard of this particular dish, however I honestly do not remember ever trying it myself .. but maybe I did at some stage.
You have addressed a number of the examples in my OP - plus added some which I did not mention, that is great !
I am pleased to hear that you are personally familiar with these dishes or foods or drinks and have your own opinion on their taste !
I am sorry to learn that you obviously had some not too happy experiences with some specific foods, I mean I am not offended or disappointed but that I am sympathetic with you. Having said that though, experimentation is probably a good idea and generally worth trying (and discovering for yourself).
I hope you will have a chance to experience more of the Russian cuisine later on and that you will perceive it happily and it will suit your personal taste !
With the specific example of kvas ... yes you are right to draw a parallel with Coca Cola (or maybe Pepsi Cola or other Colas) here, nice one !
Me personally, I did find it resembles a Cola to a degree and often compared it with Coca Cola or maybe Pepsi. Yet it is not quite a Cola .. but its own original / unique drink with its own special taste !
Anyway .. I am delighted that you liked kvas and a number of other Russian foods / drinks you mentioned.
Reply 6
Priyatnogo appetita !

(Wishing you a pleasant [good] appetite !).
Original post by Vlad83
But I think that, within the Russian Federation as a whole (and quite possibly within Russia itself), there are almost definitely ethnic varieties

Lol I will take that as a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha ! But may I ask why ?
According to Wikipedia, the Russian Federation has 85 federal subjects, and of those, 22 are republics.
Wikipedia states: "Most of the republics represent areas of non-Russian ethnicity, although there are several republics with Russian majority." .
Besides, I am in a position to judge those things by myself too - by reason of my Russian origin and having been born in Russia which is nowadays, officially, the Russian Federation.
Here is the relevant source I used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republics_of_Russia
Thanks !
Russian vodka is the devil's work :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by WoodyMKC
Russian vodka is the devil's work :lol:

LOL. Ha ha !
Reply 11
Original post by UWS
Wodka

OK. Thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL, you've never been to Russia then, I assume?

Google and have a look at the variety of different restaurants in Moscow. Goes from Georgian cuisine to Uzbekistan to Japan and to the fine US hamburgers. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Any other people have a taste opinion on Russian food or drinks ? ..
Here's a list of food I love:

Caviar (Икра) has got to be the best thing in this world. I can't get enough of it. Especially when it's on a buttered piece of bread!!

Кукурузные палочки (Kukuruzniye Palochki) basically the sweet Russian version of Cheetos. They were my favourite childhood sweet thing. Konfeti were obviously among it however Palochki always won)))

Additionally - condensed milk (сгущённое молоко) ))))) If you don't like it, I have no idea what you're on because this goes well with anything. Spread it on some bread, a pancake or even eat it just by itself :smile: Of course, after some time it does become a bit sickly sweet/sour (oh yeah, it can make your mouth feel sour!) if you eat too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Elliwhi
Here's a list of food I love:

Caviar (Икра) has got to be the best thing in this world. I can't get enough of it. Especially when it's on a buttered piece of bread!!

Кукурузные палочки (Kukuruzniye Palochki) basically the sweet Russian version of Cheetos. They were my favourite childhood sweet thing. Konfeti were obviously among it however Palochki always won)))

Additionally - condensed milk (сгущённое молоко) ))))) If you don't like it, I have no idea what you're on because this goes well with anything. Spread it on some bread, a pancake or even eat it just by itself :smile: Of course, after some time it does become a bit sickly sweet/sour (oh yeah, it can make your mouth feel sour!) if you eat too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for your interesting and detailed responses and sharing which things you enjoy !
It is like .. reading it .. makes you go "Mmm ... " !
And your use of the Russian Cyrillic letters was very relevant and has added its element to the thread !
Thanks for your descriptions of the eating / serving methods, including for condensed milk !
Yes I do agree with you - condensed milk is great, a brilliant taste. I just ate it on its own - straight out of the jar with a spoon.
It looks like you have - or had - a sweet personal taste preference, I do too !
i've had pierogi and vodka in the past
Reply 17
Original post by jamesthehustler
i've had pierogi and vodka in the past

That is interesting to hear !
And did you enjoy pierogi * ?

Did you eat and drink those in Russia .. or here in the UK .. or in any other country ?

* For other TSR users: pierogi means pies / or maybe cakes in Russian.
Original post by Vlad83
Does anyone on this site enjoy Russian food (or drinks) ? I am curious !

You mean, aside from vodka :P... I went to a Russian restaurant once, had various Russian dishes, including borshch, potato dumplings, blini, fish etc. It was pretty tasty, although the fish was best in small quantities. I would be happy to have more, but I don't go to restaurants much these days and there aren't many Russian restaurants near me.

Do you - by any chance - find Russian food / drinks or the Russian national cuisine exotic ?
If you do, why ?

Well, I find all cuisines that are not common in the UK 'exotic'. It's particularly exotic because it's very very rare.
Reply 19
Original post by Copperknickers
You mean, aside from vodka :P... I went to a Russian restaurant once, had various Russian dishes, including borshch, potato dumplings, blini, fish etc. It was pretty tasty, although the fish was best in small quantities. I would be happy to have more, but I don't go to restaurants much these days and there aren't many Russian restaurants near me.

Well, I find all cuisines that are not common in the UK 'exotic'. It's particularly exotic because it's very very rare.

Thank you very much for sharing your interesting experience and encounter with the Russian cuisine !
And thanks too for addressing the various parts of the OP.
Yes I guess Russian food and drinks could actually be considered exotic around the world and in the UK too ! Possibly with the exception of the other Slavic nations though.
And did you ever experience Russian food before the visit to that restaurant you described ?
I am delighted to hear that you really enjoyed Russian food and dishes and that you are keen for more ! Mmm ... Your response was very tasty and appetite provoking .. I have to say !
But sorry to hear there are not enough Russian restaurants where you live.
I hope you will soon have another chance to eat Russian food and to have a new enjoyable experience.
And I hope that, on the whole, there is a considerable number of Russian restaurants or Russian food stores etc in Scotland. I am not really knowledgeable on that myself - even though I did visit your nice country once.
Which Russian dish that you ate at that restaurant did you like the most ?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest