The Student Room Group

Student Finance - Wales or England?

Hi everyone :smile:

Can somebody please just clarify the situation to me regarding whether I need to apply for Student Finance Wales or Student Finance England? I always thought it would be Wales regardless but I was browsing here and it doesn't mention anything about Welsh students studying in England :confused:

I've lived in Wales my whole life though I currently go to school in England since I live very close to the border. I'll be heading off to uni (hopefully - grades pending!) in England this September.

Am I correct in thinking that I can apply through SFW to get the ~£5000 grant and take out a ~£4000 loan, or will I have to go through SFE and have a loan to cover the full amount?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just keep reading different things online which throw me off when I think I finally understand :lol:

Thank you!
Original post by olivia30

Can somebody please just clarify the situation to me regarding whether I need to apply for Student Finance Wales or Student Finance England? I always thought it would be Wales regardless but I was browsing here and it doesn't mention anything about Welsh students studying in England :confused:

I've lived in Wales my whole life though I currently go to school in England since I live very close to the border. I'll be heading off to uni (hopefully - grades pending!) in England this September.

Am I correct in thinking that I can apply through SFW to get the ~£5000 grant and take out a ~£4000 loan, or will I have to go through SFE and have a loan to cover the full amount?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just keep reading different things online which throw me off when I think I finally understand :lol:

Thank you!

If you ve lived in Wales your whole life then it's sfw:smile: if you get the full grant, the loan gets reduced so it's more like 5k grant and 2-3k loan
Reply 2
Original post by olivia30

Thank you!

You should apply in the country where you live, so that's SFW for you.

Assuming you'll be paying the maximum £9000 tuition fee, this will be paid as a £5100 non-repayable grant and a £3900 repayable loan. You'll also get a Maintenance Loan (repayable) and Welsh Government Learning Grant (non-repayable) to help with living costs.

Run your circumstances through the SFW calculator here:
http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/

As always, double-check direct with SFW before making plans.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
If you ve lived in Wales your whole life then it's sfw:smile: if you get the full grant, the loan gets reduced so it's more like 5k grant and 2-3k loan

Original post by Klix88
You should apply in the country where you live, so that's SFW for you.

Assuming you'll be paying the maximum £9000 tuition fee, this will be paid as a £5100 non-repayable grant and a £3900 repayable loan. You'll also get a Maintenance Loan (repayable) and Welsh Government Learning Grant (non-repayable) to help with living costs.

Run your circumstances through the SFW calculator here:
http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/

As always, double-check direct with SFW before making plans.

Huge thanks to both of you, very helpful! :smile: I'll start having a closer look at the SFW website then now I know it's definitely that one. Thank you again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending