The Student Room Group

good kid, maad city - a small-town kid's A-level journey

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Ooo, very nice! The paper looked a little lengthy from what I saw so I think the boundaries could vary more than you expect. Here's hoping you get 116+ to ease pressure off of 5. Can you look through the M2 paper and let me know what your boundary estimations are? :colondollar:

Thanks a lot! :biggrin:

I haven't done a single M2 paper :afraid: So I don't think I could give you a very accurate estimate - sorry! Perhaps Zacken could?
Reply 281
Original post by Student403
Thanks a lot! :biggrin:

I haven't done a single M2 paper :afraid: So I don't think I could give you a very accurate estimate - sorry! Perhaps Zacken could?

oops, my bad - I keep thinking you finished M2! :colondollar:

I'm sure Zacken himself would like to know your opinion :tongue: Both of us messed up ~4 raw marks.
oops, my bad - I keep thinking you finished M2! :colondollar:

I'm sure Zacken himself would like to know your opinion :tongue: Both of us messed up ~4 raw marks.

Oh right!

4 marks seems fine! I can't imagine that being less than 93-4 UMS
Oh right!

4 marks seems fine! I can't imagine that being less than 93-4 UMS

I think I lost more than 4 marks tbh, I messed up an entire 11 marker. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
I think I lost more than 4 marks tbh, I messed up an entire 11 marker. :lol:

All good man - you'll make it up in other modules. I know you will :yep:
Reply 285
The day started quite nicely and I finished off Chapter 3 in S3 - just have a few mixed exercises to go. I then decided to do an FP3 mock as diagnosis, and that was disastrous.

FP3 June 2009:
Marks attained: 58/75

First, I'd like to say I'm surprised at how this is 90 UMS; I don't consider it more than 60. I'm going to get a C in FP3 a this rate. Questions 1 to 5 were completely alright (although I initially forgot to do 5(c)), but I cut 9 marks from 6(b) and (c) because I couldn't spot what was needed for b and I couldn't be bothered to give myself method marks for the sloppy algebra in c. 7 was okay, but I wrote 6 - 12 = -12 and lost 3 accuracy marks. The last question was a disaster because I failed at swapping around the limits properly and lost a huge chunk of marks. I will be doing my corrections soon. This was an easy paper too, guess I need to work a lot more to get it right.
The day started quite nicely and I finished off Chapter 3 in S3 - just have a few mixed exercises to go. I then decided to do an FP3 mock as diagnosis, and that was disastrous.

FP3 June 2009:
Marks attained: 58/75

First, I'd like to say I'm surprised at how this is 90 UMS; I don't consider it more than 60. I'm going to get a C in FP3 a this rate. Questions 1 to 5 were completely alright (although I initially forgot to do 5(c)), but I cut 9 marks from 6(b) and (c) because I couldn't spot what was needed for b and I couldn't be bothered to give myself method marks for the sloppy algebra in c. 7 was okay, but I wrote 6 - 12 = -12 and lost 3 accuracy marks. The last question was a disaster because I failed at swapping around the limits properly and lost a huge chunk of marks. I will be doing my corrections soon. This was an easy paper too, guess I need to work a lot more to get it right.

Nah man - 90 UMS means everyone found it tough. And we all have ups and downs. It seems like you've learnt a lot from this paper so that's good! Keep going up :biggrin:
Reply 287
Nah man - 90 UMS means everyone found it tough. And we all have ups and downs. It seems like you've learnt a lot from this paper so that's good! Keep going up :biggrin:

Yep, I've learnt what I need to work on from this paper, so that's a good thing! Conics is a huge weak-point, I've worked through the book's mixed exercises this morning and I managed to do the later ones without help. I'll finish them off tonight and work on my mistakes. Thank you for the encouragement :yep:

Our resident genius friend got full raw so he certainly didn't find it difficult :biggrin:

I'll be doing some chemistry now. FP3 can hold on till nighttime.

On one hand I think your marked yourself a little too harshly, but on the other - we all slip up from time to time, it's good that you've identified what went wrong and you're fixing it. Is there any specific part of conics that you're having some trouble with?

Then again, 90 UMS is pretty darn good given that it's still mid-Feb, so mini-congratulations to you there.

On a cheerier note, what are your objectives for today? :biggrin:

Also, side question: how helpful have you found using a blog to boost productivity?
Original post by Zacken
On one hand I think your marked yourself a little too harshly, but on the other - we all slip up from time to time, it's good that you've identified what went wrong and you're fixing it. Is there any specific part of conics that you're having some trouble with?

Then again, 90 UMS is pretty darn good given that it's still mid-Feb, so mini-congratulations to you there.

Also, side question: how helpful have you found using a blog to boost productivity?

Good question!
Reply 290
Original post by Zacken

You're right, there's more than 3 months till FP3, I should have adequate time to prepare. The situations in conics can get tricky to visualise but I've slightly overcome that issue by drawing diagrams. I've worked through more than half of the mixed exercise and although most of them leave me going like, "how would I think of this under exam pressure¿" I actually managed to do the ones past 2. I'll go back and finish them and then start all the review exercises and then TeeEm's stuff.

I've actually covered a lot today :yep: I've revised chem 4 organic and finished S3 chapter 3. Dylan told me it should be smooth sailing from chapter 4 so that's good news :biggrin:

I'm tempted to do an FP2 mock I've photocopied after I get home. I'm not sure what to cover at the moment!

Good question!

As for whether my blog has helped productivity - it has, quite nicely! I've done a lot since I've started tracking my progress but one complaint is that it gets difficult to search for certain keywords to look back at things. (or maybe I just don't know how to use the search bar efficiently...)

As for whether my blog has helped productivity - it has, quite nicely! I've done a lot since I've started tracking my progress but one complaint is that it gets difficult to search for certain keywords to look back at things. (or maybe I just don't know how to use the search bar efficiently...)

You can use this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?type=advanced with your username "Aymanzayedmannan" so that it only sorts through your posts as well as being able to put in keyword(s) and decide whether you want the keywords to be in only posts or titles or both, etc... plus you put a timeframe on it - so that should be helpful. Apologies if you already know all of this. :colondollar:
Reply 292
Original post by Zacken
You can use this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?type=advanced with your username "Aymanzayedmannan" so that it only sorts through your posts as well as being able to put in keyword(s) and decide whether you want the keywords to be in only posts or titles or both, etc... plus you put a timeframe on it - so that should be helpful. Apologies if you already know all of this. :colondollar:

Oooh thank you! I lost all the M3 marks I got and I wanted to list them down on my notebook. :h:
Reply 293
Couldn't resist doing another mock, so here goes:

FP2 June 2012:
Raw marks attained: 73/75
UMS: 98
Time left: 35 minutes

No particular comments on this paper, tbh. It seemed bog standard. Lost two marks in a Taylor series question because I substituted the wrong values, but what can I do. Probably would have checked over it in a real exam I hope. :redface:

FP2 June 2012:

No particular comments on this paper, tbh. It seemed bog standard. Lost two marks in a Taylor series question because I substituted the wrong values, but what can I do. Probably would have checked over it in a real exam I hope. :redface:

Well done!!!! :woo:

That's a great mark and you did it in good time, too!
Reply 295
Well done!!!! :woo:

That's a great mark and you did it in good time, too!

grazie :redface:

t'was simple (and I also really wanted to get rid of the "I'm flunking FP3 feeling" :tongue: )

FP2 June 2012:

That's amaaaahzin. Go you!! :woo: :biggrin:

FP2 June 2012:

Amazing! Keep it up :congrats:
Reply 298
Original post by Zacken
That's amaaaahzin. Go you!! :woo: :biggrin:

Original post by SaadKaleem
Amazing! Keep it up :congrats:

Thanks lads! :biggrin: I hope it wasn't just luck...

Zacken

Oh by the way mate S3 is kinda nice! I just finished chapter 3. Goodness of fit looks alright but kinda tedious. The spec says "no long calculations necessary" but the book seems to think otherwise :redface:
Thanks lads! :biggrin: I hope it wasn't just luck...

'Course it wasn't. :yep:

Oh by the way mate S3 is kinda nice! I just finished chapter 3. Goodness of fit looks alright but kinda tedious. The spec says "no long calculations necessary" but the book seems to think otherwise :redface:

Holy shiz, you're going so fast. I haven't even started Chapter 3 yet. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending