The Student Room Group

How to ace your AS levels!

I hope I'm not too late to the party. I got an email saying I had until the 22nd to enter so... :hello:

Anyway, hi. I'm currently studying my AS levels and I plan to go to university to study Media Production. Obviously, to get to university I really need to nail my exams. As I, among many others, don't want to be set back a year by bad grades, I'm going to do my best to put together this little guide.

I'm studying History, Film Studies and English Language and I have big goals for exam season:
History - B/A (Confidence is probably an issue here :s-smilie:)
Film Studies - A
English Language - A

Getting high grades is not going to be easy but I have found a few ways to really boost my grades that I'm quite happy to share.
I look forward to getting started and hopefully helping at least one person with this little blog.

-Lauren :redrose::wings:
Reply 1
Woot! That sounds awesome - good luck. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Woot! That sounds awesome - good luck. :smile:

Thanks! :ta:
I suppose the best place to start is to figure out exactly what you want to achieve. I wrote down my goals so they were something real and solid in front of me, instead of this grade floating about in my head that I could change all the time. Set yourself a solid goal so you have something constant to aim for. If it helps, let me know your goals! Sometimes telling someone else makes you want to stick to it even more, to prove you can do it.

14559667128251307085153.jpg

The key thing for me is organisation. Head to Poundland and buy a few lever arch files and plastic wallets to put all your work into. Honestly, it helps you keep everything in order and you're less likely to lose anything.

In terms of revision, you really need to figure out what works for you. For me it's making notes and mindmaps and flashcards until the topic is drilled into my skull. For your it could be past papers and reading through revision guides, or youtube videos that explain everything to you. Try a few different things and see what helps you revise most effectively then go from there. Do you need a revision timetable? Do you work better alone or with a friend? Do you need to seek extra help from a teacher or lecturer? Work out what YOU need and you'll already be on your way to passing your exams with flying colours.

Let me know what you'd like to see me post here or ask me any questions. I hope this helps you!

-Lauren:redrose::wings:

P.S. Don't let your work be as messy as mine was. It's hell.
(edited 8 years ago)
Those are really good tips. I think by offering tips you're not only helping yourself earn the grades you want but you're also helping others which is great. Keep it up :smile:
Original post by briannafowlie
Those are really good tips. I think by offering tips you're not only helping yourself earn the grades you want but you're also helping others which is great. Keep it up :smile:

Thanks. I'll offer as many hints and tips as I can and if I find anything new to help me I'll put up a post about that too. I'm already really enjoying doing this.:smile:
Original post by Lauren_rose99
x

Wow, those are some high targets you're setting yourself! I wish you all the best!

I'm also doing English Language and History, which exam boards are you doing? Also, are you doing the new linear courses or not? We switched to the linear courses and I'm quite happy with that decision :h:
Original post by raleighs
Wow, those are some high targets you're setting yourself! I wish you all the best!

I'm also doing English Language and History, which exam boards are you doing? Also, are you doing the new linear courses or not? We switched to the linear courses and I'm quite happy with that decision :h:

Thanks. I think it helps that I know where I want to end up so my targets are vital :smile: I'm on OCR for History and AQA for English Language. Yeah, we're on the new specs now so History is a bit tougher than it used to be apparently but I don't mind it. Are you on the same boards as me?
Thanks. I think it helps that I know where I want to end up so my targets are vital :smile: I'm on OCR for History and AQA for English Language. Yeah, we're on the new specs now so History is a bit tougher than it used to be apparently but I don't mind it. Are you on the same boards as me?

I'm doing AQA English Language!! But I'm doing Edexcel History. It certainly is harder on the new spec...

I look forward to your updates! I hope everything goes well for you!
I'm doing AQA English Language!! But I'm doing Edexcel History. It certainly is harder on the new spec...

I find English Language so interesting! PM me if you ever want to chat about it. I'll update as regularly as I can. Good luck with your exams!
know how I got A*AA(C)?
I thought about the cream; the cheddar; the paper; the fabrics; the props; the dollar; the mulah; the MONEY.
UPDATE: I spent most of yesterday working, and probably will for most of today. But that's because I've left my half term work until last minute. Again. Don't be me. I said in my last post that organisation is key. Mine seems to have gone to pot. I now have a pretty long to do list for each subject which I am very slowly making my way through.

To do lists are great though, especially when you feel like you're geting nowhere. having lists allows you to tick things off as you do them so you can see yourself making progress, instead of just having these piles of work in front of you that look like they won't ever end. It sounds so obvious but I've found them really helpful. They've kept me on track and kept me motivated. Even try sitting down and doing a small list of what you want to achieve in that study/revision session then look back at it after an hour and see how far you've got. You might just surprise yourself.

They other think I've found quite helpful has been putting together a good playlist. Now mine could not be more of an eclectic mix. I have anything from classical music to good old Panic at the Disco to keep me going. If you get distracted by songs with lyrics in, I highly recommend classical music or music in a foreign language. That sounds mad but trusy me, it works.

Anyway, today I have some practise papers to do for Film Studies and some revision to do on The Fall of the Romanovs. I'm happy to share the Film Studies questions if anyone wants them, so just let me know.

I hope you're all doing okay. Don't forget to give yourself credit for the work you do today. You're doing great. Good luck! :goodluck:

I'm doing Edexcel History under the new spec too! What topics are you studying? It's super super hard as it is but without past papers to do it makes it even harder :angry:

UPDATE: I spent most of yesterday working, and probably will for most of today. But that's because I've left my half term work until last minute. Again. Don't be me. I said in my last post that organisation is key. Mine seems to have gone to pot. I now have a pretty long to do list for each subject which I am very slowly making my way through.

To do lists are great though, especially when you feel like you're geting nowhere. having lists allows you to tick things off as you do them so you can see yourself making progress, instead of just having these piles of work in front of you that look like they won't ever end. It sounds so obvious but I've found them really helpful. They've kept me on track and kept me motivated. Even try sitting down and doing a small list of what you want to achieve in that study/revision session then look back at it after an hour and see how far you've got. You might just surprise yourself.

They other think I've found quite helpful has been putting together a good playlist. Now mine could not be more of an eclectic mix. I have anything from classical music to good old Panic at the Disco to keep me going. If you get distracted by songs with lyrics in, I highly recommend classical music or music in a foreign language. That sounds mad but trusy me, it works.

Anyway, today I have some practise papers to do for Film Studies and some revision to do on The Fall of the Romanovs. I'm happy to share the Film Studies questions if anyone wants them, so just let me know.

I hope you're all doing okay. Don't forget to give yourself credit for the work you do today. You're doing great. Good luck! :goodluck:

You seem really dedicated and organised haha, I envy you so much! Best of luck with achieving the grades you want, I doubt you'll get any less! :smile:
Original post by Babs Posh
You seem really dedicated and organised haha, I envy you so much! Best of luck with achieving the grades you want, I doubt you'll get any less! :smile:

Aw thank you! :colondollar: I'm sure you'll do great. Just figure out what works best for you :h: Good luck!
I'm doing Edexcel History under the new spec too! What topics are you studying? It's super super hard as it is but without past papers to do it makes it even harder :angry:

We're doing Britain transformed 1918-97 and USA 1955-92: conformity and change (I had to look in my text book because I couldn't remember...oops). What about you?
Not having past papers makes it so hard to study because I like to do practise questions :frown: But it also means that there's only the example papers, which our teacher uses for our mocks so we always know which questions will come up :wink: Probably not so beneficial in the long run but it's one less thing to worry about right now!
We're doing Britain transformed 1918-97 and USA 1955-92: conformity and change (I had to look in my text book because I couldn't remember...oops). What about you?
Not having past papers makes it so hard to study because I like to do practise questions :frown: But it also means that there's only the example papers, which our teacher uses for our mocks so we always know which questions will come up :wink: Probably not so beneficial in the long run but it's one less thing to worry about right now!

Aw I thought we could share notes if we did the same topics :frown: I'm doing American civil rights and South Africa, but yours sound more interesting!

Haha I suppose, I'm not taking the exam though until the end of next year (A2) so I'm not really motivated to do any work for it... oops :tongue:
Aw I thought we could share notes if we did the same topics :frown: I'm doing American civil rights and South Africa, but yours sound more interesting!

Haha I suppose, I'm not taking the exam though until the end of next year (A2) so I'm not really motivated to do any work for it... oops :tongue:

Civil rights does come into the USA course quite a lot... I wouldn't say they're more interesting, Britain is so boring because it's basically what we studied at GCSE!

I know that feeling.... I'm glad we're not doing the exam, it's such a weight off my shoulders! But now I feel like not doing anything history related, because the real exam's not until next year! It feels like there's no point :s-smilie:
Right, time to check in with you guys. I've been busy with a few assessments this week and have one more next week so bear with me and I'll let you know the grades I get.

I've been focused mainly on revision, mainly for History and English. I can say it is 100% worth it to invest 50p in a pack of flashcards from Wilko. They're coloured so you can organise them based on your subjects and it helps you get important information down in a concise way because they're only big enough to make notes. I'm finding them really useful for English theories and key events, people and historian views in History. They also have white lined flashcards for 75p.

I think I need to take it easy really, considering how much time I spend working. I was in the library from 9am until 2:30pm on Monday then had a History lesson after that until 4pm. It's important not to over do it, and that goes for everyone. Don't burn yourself out too early.

I haven't got much to update you on at the minute but if you let me know how things are going for you or if there's anything you want me to include in my updates just let me know.

Until next time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending