The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lavaandmosquitos
Thanks for that. :smile: Was that for physics? I contacted the supervisor I'm interested in working with really early, and worked the projects I'm interested in into my application, so it should be interesting!

May I ask, did you have an interview with your supervisor before getting your conditional offer? Thanks. :redface:

How did your interview go yesterday? Did you have to do a presentation or anything? Or did they ask you to solve any problems?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Phate18
Congrats! Are you EU or non-EU, if I may ask?

Thanks! I'm non-EU international.
Original post by emmaross
I've had an offer from modern British history and got rejected from my first choice college (Pembroke) after a 10 day break. My second choice college is Jesus, which I've since heard is one of the most popular colleges - is there a high chance that there's no way Jesus will accept me considering its my second choice and considering Pembroke (which I thought was less competitive) rejected? I'm kind of regretting not putting Newman as my second choice.

Hey,

I'll be at Jesus this coming fall (it was my first choice). I had no idea it was a popular college; I picked it because the people I did know said it was a very friendly place with amazing grounds.

I think you stand a very good chance. From the little I do know about this, many colleges tend to look for a diverse graduate community (they like students who are studying diverse degrees and can therefore contribute to the community). Naturally, strong academics are key but I do think that diversity plays an important part too. I'm sure more knowledgeable posters, such as sj27 and gutenberg, can shed more light on this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1863
Original post by ohwello
Wow, thanks for that information! I feel much better now, knowing that! How do you like your overall experience with Newnham? From everything I've read/seen online it does seem like a very very good college.

But wait, you weren't shortlisted by your department or the Trust committee? I believe departments are doing their ranking right now, but I might be wrong since this is my first experience with Gates and Cambridge in general. Also, are you EU or Non EU student, if you don't mind me asking? My MPhil costs as much as yours and I'm Non EU student.

I'm glad! The overall experience is really, really good - it's been a very supportive place, and I've had very few things to complain about over the last three years. It is definitely not the loudest/most fun college, as it's slightly outside the city, and the female-only character probably reinforces that. But to be honest, I always mostly cared about how responsive they are in any trouble, rather than the lack of beer pong in the kitchen :wink: MCR (graduate) community is definitely different to some extent from my JCR experience, but it's even better from what I've heard. The only issue may be that there will be a major building project going on for the next two years at the main site, so the closest grad accommodation will be 5 minutes on foot from the porters lodge. But I think that it can be a problem only to someone already spoilt by the convenience of Cambridge :P

I don't know if I was rejected at the departamental/Trust level; I just know that I won't be interviewed. I am an EU student but my course is at Judge Business so it is treated as a 'professional' degree to some extent.
Reply 1864
has anyone else heard back about a CISS?
Original post by Aceadria
Hey,

I'll be at Jesus this coming fall (it was my first choice). I had no idea it was a popular college; I picked it because the people I did know said it was a very friendly place with amazing grounds.

I think you stand a very good chance. From the little I do know about this, many colleges tend to look for a diverse graduate community (they like students who are studying diverse degrees and can therefore contribute to the community. Naturally, strong academics are key but I do think that diversity plays an important part too. I'm sure more knowledgeable posters, such as sj27 and gutenberg, can shed more light on this.

Thank you! Yeah I really want to get accepted to it, I actually think I prefer it to my first choice but I'm a little apprehensive and slightly annoyed Pembroke kept my application so long as places fill up fast! Hopefully Pembroke rejected me because they already had enough history students etc. Rather than anything against my application. But thanks so much for the advice - I do like all the colleges so hopefully anyone will be nice once I'm there! Would rather they just let me know when I've got one rather than me having to find out I've been rejected from one haha. Did Jesus process your application quite quickly? Also out of interest what course are you doing?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by littlelee
Hi,

Yes I was offered a full CISS by the Trust today. But the website says offers are made progressively until April, so try not to worry if you haven't heard (even though I know it's difficult not to). I'm with MML. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting to hear!

Congratulations! Please may I ask what MML stands for?
Original post by phantompower
Congratulations! Please may I ask what MML stands for?

I believe it's Modern and Medieval Languages :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1868
Also received full CISS on Friday (from non-EU). Will be starting research PhD department of surgery (not a medic). College is Churchill. Goodluck everyone!!
Original post by biologynerd95
How did your interview go yesterday? Did you have to do a presentation or anything? Or did they ask you to solve any problems?

It was good thanks. The chat with the supervisor and group was pretty informal, as I expected, and the whole department seemed really nice- Cambridge would definitely be one of my top picks if I'm lucky enough to be offered a place.

The funding interview was quick and fairly brutal. About 80% was on my Masters project work, and the other 20% on why I'd picked that group/what I wanted in a project. It was quite intense but there weren't any technical questions beyond the physics of my project work. No presentation, but I spent a lot of time on the whiteboard drawing- that was by choice though, as I explain stuff better that way!

Fingers crossed for an offer now! :redface:
Reply 1870
Original post by JQS
Also received full CISS on Friday (from non-EU). Will be starting research PhD department of surgery (not a medic). College is Churchill. Goodluck everyone!!

Congrats!! Do you mind telling me what time you got the email?
Original post by lavaandmosquitos
It was good thanks. The chat with the supervisor and group was pretty informal, as I expected, and the whole department seemed really nice- Cambridge would definitely be one of my top picks if I'm lucky enough to be offered a place.

The funding interview was quick and fairly brutal. About 80% was on my Masters project work, and the other 20% on why I'd picked that group/what I wanted in a project. It was quite intense but there weren't any technical questions beyond the physics of my project work. No presentation, but I spent a lot of time on the whiteboard drawing- that was by choice though, as I explain stuff better that way!

Fingers crossed for an offer now! :redface:

Sounds intense! How do you feel it went? Did they say when they would let you know by?
Reply 1872
Original post by gtx85
Congrats!! Do you mind telling me what time you got the email?

Hi

I got it Feb. 19, 2:34pm GMT.
Hi everyone, and congratulations to everyone who recently received their offers :smile:
I am currently unable to sleep due to the sad realisation that I am an idiot, having applied only for a Gates scholarship (did I think I could only apply for one scholarship? Did I think I was not underprivileged enough to be considered by the trust? who knows). Do you know if I might still be considered by any other scholarship (apart from the college scholarships)?
Reply 1874
Original post by lameraupluspres
Hi everyone, and congratulations to everyone who recently received their offers :smile:
I am currently unable to sleep due to the sad realisation that I am an idiot, having applied only for a Gates scholarship (did I think I could only apply for one scholarship? Did I think I was not underprivileged enough to be considered by the trust? who knows). Do you know if I might still be considered by any other scholarship (apart from the college scholarships)?

Normally, you're automatically considered for the Trust?
Hello everyone :smile:

Resurfacing again after finally getting accepted into a college. Any prospective Pembroke college students here?
Original post by biologynerd95
Sounds intense! How do you feel it went? Did they say when they would let you know by?

I'm not sure- I felt like I held my own though! They said it would be a few weeks before hearing back, as they need to complete the interviews before making decisions.
Original post by Josb
Normally, you're automatically considered for the Trust?

Doesn't seem like it - according to their website, "If you wish to be considered for a scholarship from the Trust, you must tick the relevant box 'Cambridge Trust' at the start of Section B: ‘Funding’, and complete sections B3, B4 and B5" - which I foolishly haven't...
(but it the question mark was meant to be a full stop it would make my day :biggrin:)
Original post by lameraupluspres

I did the same mistake, but was very surprised to see the Faculty sending me a mail which read: "are you sure you didn't make a mistake in not ticking the box for the AHRC's scolarship? Because we'd like to nominate you for it".

So it seems they look further than what you chose to answer in your application. All hope is not lost.
Original post by YouplaBoum
I did the same mistake, but was very surprised to see the Faculty sending me a mail which read: "are you sure you didn't make a mistake in not ticking the box for the AHRC's scolarship? Because we'd like to nominate you for it".

So it seems they look further than what you chose to answer in your application. All hope is not lost.

Same happened to me - I applied to Linguistics (MPhil TAAL) and submitted my application three weeks after the AHRC deadline, because I thought I had no chance to get any of the scholarships. I ticked the box anyway and they notified me I had been shortlisted a week after.

Ironically I still haven't been made an offer - Under Consideration by the Department :h: 12 days from the interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending