The Student Room Group

#FreeKesha - Everyone suddenly Law experts?

Quick backstory for everyone:

Kesha has CLAIMED she was sexually assaulted by someone she was working with whilst making her music, so she tried to break the contract so she doesn't have to work with the ALLEGED person, court said no because no evidence, whole of internet going crazy that justice system sucks.

So why is the majority of social media ignoring one of the basic principles of the justice system - Innocent until proven guilty.

People are all just assuming she's correct and people always do this. I don't understand why it annoys me, because if she was actually raped then I want the person who's guilty to go rot in prison for life, but the idea of everyone taking a side is sort of infruriating.

Anyone - even a philosophical view - know why everyone takes the victims side so aggresively, and ignores facts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was not even aware this had happened.

Oops, but yes if the court has said no evidence then well... that's the justice system for you.
Reply 2
I agree.

It also doesn't help her case at all that she's well known for taking lots of drugs in the past, how can she prove to the courts that she was drugged by him and wasn't just taking lines of coke etc through her own choice? Also she claimed it's been going on since she was 18 years old with him.. sounds a bit to me like she was consensually having sex with him then he's done something to piss her off and now she's turning it round to make him look like the bad guy.

I could be wrong but that's just the impression I get as I don't see why she would have continued to work alongside him if he was really abusing her.

But the courts aren't likely to take a druggie seriously anyway..
Reply 3
One would say that she is playing the "woman" card. Trying to gain sympathy via making claims as such which cannot be proven thus creating a divided audience. I personally don't sympathise with her, if all those allegations about what Dr Luke did are true, why didn't she act upon it at the time ? Instead of claiming all these as factors to end her contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ComputerMaths97

Kesha has CLAIMED she was sexually assaulted by someone she was working with whilst making her music, so she tried to break the contract so she doesn't have to work with the ALLEGED person, court said no because no evidence, whole of internet going crazy that justice system sucks.

So why is the majority of social media ignoring one of the basic principles of the justice system - Innocent until proven guilty.

People are all just assuming she's correct and people always do this. I don't understand why it annoys me, because if she was actually raped then I want the person who's guilty to go rot in prison for life, but the idea of everyone taking a side is sort of infruriating.

Anyone - even a philosophical view - know why everyone takes the victims side so aggresively, and ignores facts?

Its all crocodile tears from kesha part!
Its natural for everyone to take the womans side and its BS! Shes lying to get out a contract, and if she does manage to SONY will lose out on millions
Original post by Altun63
One would say that she is playing the "woman" card. Trying to gain sympathy via making claims as such which cannot be proven thus creating a divided audience. I personally don't sympathise with her, if all those allegations about what Dr Luke did are true, why didn't she act upon it at the time ? Instead of claiming all these as factors to end her contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the fishy aspect - using it to end her contract?

Let's set up a pretend situation, where it actually happened and she had undeniable proof of it. She still should've just went through with it as a normal rape allegation and case, and then once finally proven she could use that to never have to work with him again. And she'd be able to use it to get out of the contract I'm sure, but only once it was proven. Before it's proven, it just looks kind of suspect.
Original post by hollyt93
I agree.

It also doesn't help her case at all that she's well known for taking lots of drugs in the past, how can she prove to the courts that she was drugged by him and wasn't just taking lines of coke etc through her own choice? Also she claimed it's been going on since she was 18 years old with him.. sounds a bit to me like she was consensually having sex with him then he's done something to piss her off and now she's turning it round to make him look like the bad guy.

I could be wrong but that's just the impression I get as I don't see why she would have continued to work alongside him if he was really abusing her.

But the courts aren't likely to take a druggie seriously anyway..

Anyone that actually does the research on the case, like you have, and doesn't just see someone on twitter go "Kesha was raped and court rejected it", will agree with this. She's taken a lot of drugs - flag. It happened ages ago and nothing said - flag. She's using it for an alternative agenda (out of contract) - flag. No proof - flag. Nothing is in her favour other than her words, yet half of social media seems to be on her side. Confusing.
Original post by Inexorably

Oops, but yes if the court has said no evidence then well... that's the justice system for you.

I agree it sucks, if it had actually happened (idk), but I can't think of a fairer way of doing it. Any other "fair" system could potentially let people just accuse others of crimes if they didn't like them.
Anyone that actually does the research on the case, like you have, and doesn't just see someone on twitter go "Kesha was raped and court rejected it", will agree with this. She's taken a lot of drugs - flag. It happened ages ago and nothing said - flag. She's using it for an alternative agenda (out of contract) - flag. No proof - flag. Nothing is in her favour other than her words, yet half of social media seems to be on her side. Confusing.

100%
+1
Reply 9

We have an adversarial justice system, in that the burden is on the Prosecution to prove 'beyond reasonable doubt' that the accused is guilty. IE: If there is any doubt whatsoever in the mind of the jury, they cannot return a guilty verdict. Similarly, if at case management, the judge does not believe there is a possibility of a guilty verdict, the case will collapse.

The defence do not have to prove innocence, simply respond to the prosecution and refute their arguments.

On a sociological note, people are keen to refute religion on the fact that 'there is no proof' or 'the facts' aren't solid. However, a similar cohort of people will say that in this case, despite the absence of fact, she must have been raped because she said so. Emotion is powerful and affects judgement. Think of arguments, once you are entrenched in a point of view because you are emotionally hurt by the other person, eventually you may come to the conclusion mid-row that you are totally irrational but will persist with that view because that's the view you believe you are entitled to hold and the other person is inherently wrong. That, and herd mentality. It's becoming more prevalent as the Media and politicians increasingly tell us what to think; what to be offended by; what you can and cannot do; and the difference between right and wrong.

If there is simply a playground situation here, where it is one person's word against another, with absence of evidence or fact, to jump to a conclusion and assert you're right is typical of modern society - you are entitled to your view and it's identical to all of the people you follow on Twitter, because it is their opinion and mode of thinking you are most subject to, identify with, and read first.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sister told me this yesterday. I didn't believe her. So it's real?
Reply 11

How would you rather the justice system function? I'd like to see if your opinion changed when someone took you to court because they were absolutely certain you took their car, and despite the lack of evidence you were prosecuted.
Do we even know who the supposed perpetrator was?? If not then what're you crying out the person hasn't been tarnished...
Original post by Mimir
How would you rather the justice system function? I'd like to see if your opinion changed when someone took you to court because they were absolutely certain you took their car, and despite the lack of evidence you were prosecuted.

Well there isn't any other way to change it, you can't ask for courts to suddenly start prosecuting people without any evidence, because imagine the thousands of men who would suffer due to false rape claims (on top of the ones that already do) as just one example.

Oh I see did you think I was saying the justice system should be changed? I think the tone of my post came across wrong, I was simply stating that's how it works.
Reply 14

Oh I see did you think I was saying the justice system should be changed? I think the tone of my post came across wrong, I was simply stating that's how it works.

Precisely.
Original post by Mimir
Precisely.

Woops, apologies x)
I agree however I dont think its apropriate to have them work together.
Reply 17
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I agree however I dont think its apropriate to have them work together.

Sony have said she can work with someone else.
Original post by joecphillips
Sony have said she can work with someone else.

Oh? So what then is the issue? Are people saying it should be null and void?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Reply 19
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Oh? So what then is the issue? Are people saying it should be null and void?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yes

Apparently her crying is enough to prove rape

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending