The Student Room Group

Ligand substitution reactions observations

I am completely baffled by how we are meant to work out observations of ligand substitutions , if anyone has any tips/rules or even use this question to aid your explanation;e.g. [Cu(H2O)6]^2+(aq) + 4Cl^-(aq) --> [CuCl4]^2-(aq) +6H2O(l) (i)describe the observations that would be made during the addition of the concentrated HCl.
Original post by Hardy jacks
I am completely baffled by how we are meant to work out observations of ligand substitutions , if anyone has any tips/rules or even use this question to aid your explanation;e.g. [Cu(H2O)6]^2+(aq) + 4Cl^-(aq) --> [CuCl4]^2-(aq) +6H2O(l) (i)describe the observations that would be made during the addition of the concentrated HCl.

You cannot "work them out", you have to learn them.

In your example the pale blue hexaaqua copper(II) ion accepts chloride ligands and becomes the bright green tetrachlorocuprate(II) complex ion.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
You cannot "work them out", you have to learn them.

In your example the pale blue hexaaqua copper(II) ion accepts chloride ligands and becomes the bright green tetrachlorocuprate(II) complex ion.

Ok that makes sense thank you for your help is there any possibility you have a list of the ones we have to know?
Reply 3
That would depend on your spec. Which is also where you'll find the ones you'll be expected to know listed.
Reply 4
Original post by Pigster
That would depend on your spec. Which is also where you'll find the ones you'll be expected to know listed.

Awesome thank you very much :smile:
Original post by Hardy jacks
Awesome thank you very much :smile:

If you are on edexcel the user guide has all the ones you need to know
Reply 6
Original post by samb1234
If you are on edexcel the user guide has all the ones you need to know

I'm OCR A Ive found everything about observation of ligand substitutions in the spec hopefully there's nothing else...image.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest