The Student Room Group

hours of revision

how many hours of revision per subject do you think we should do, to learn everything and be ready for exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelshelp
how many hours of revision per subject do you think we should do, to learn everything and be ready for exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on your subjects and your revision style. You should be doing a minimum of 15 hours revision per exam I'd say :smile: However, you should just start as soon as possible, doing as much as you can until you know everything :h:
It's not about how much you do, it's about using your time effectively. At my college the recommendation was to spend five hours per subject per week studying, but very few people, if any, stuck to it. Closer to exam time, some people slaved away in every waking moment, but they didn't necessarily perform best in exams. Remember as well that some people work quicker than others; some people can speed through a past paper in half an hour, others take the whole time. That's the same amount of work either way, and I'd argue it's more about what you do than how long you spend.

Instead of setting yourself specific 'X hours per day' targets, I would recommend using past papers to gauge whether you should be doing more or if you're at just about the right level. If you're consistently hitting your target grade, then awesome, you're doing things right. If you're still a little below where you should be then you can bump it up a little.

Remember to give yourself plenty of breaks. Keeping healthy; getting exercise and rest, is important too!

Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by Gingerbread101
It depends on your subjects and your revision style. You should be doing a minimum of 15 hours revision per exam I'd say :smile: However, you should just start as soon as possible, doing as much as you can until you know everything :h:

What subjects do you study out of interest?
Original post by Vanessaxx98
What subjects do you study out of interest?

English Literature, English Language and History :awesome:
English Literature, English Language and History :awesome:

I do English Literature and History also. How do you revise for both subjects and how many hours roughly do you do per day?
I do English Literature and History also. How do you revise for both subjects and how many hours roughly do you do per day?

English lit I use post it notes, and History I use flashcards :smile: I went into more detail about them on my masterpost of revision here :h:
Per day overall for revision I do 3-5 hours, I don't revise every subject every day though :smile:
English lit I use post it notes, and History I use flashcards :smile: I went into more detail about them on my masterpost of revision here :h:
Per day overall for revision I do 3-5 hours, I don't revise every subject every day though :smile:

Omg thank you I just read your masterpost for revision and it is great. For english literature what texts do you study? I am struggling with grouping things together and having the time to re read the novels and look for quotes.
Original post by alevelshelp

Posted from TSR Mobile

We were told 5 hours per week per subject - so if you do 3 then that's at least 15 hours per week but I do more than that at the minute so it's a case of revise as much as possible without burning out and step it up if you feel you have gaps in knowledge. Also, it's not necessarily a case of how long, but how well you revise - you may well be able to fit an hour session into something that is 20 minutes long and just as effective.

PM me if you want to talk :smile:
Reply 9
Nice Advice
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
It's not about how much you do, it's about using your time effectively. At my college the recommendation was to spend five hours per subject per week studying, but very few people, if any, stuck to it. Closer to exam time, some people slaved away in every waking moment, but they didn't necessarily perform best in exams. Remember as well that some people work quicker than others; some people can speed through a past paper in half an hour, others take the whole time. That's the same amount of work either way, and I'd argue it's more about what you do than how long you spend.

Instead of setting yourself specific 'X hours per day' targets, I would recommend using past papers to gauge whether you should be doing more or if you're at just about the right level. If you're consistently hitting your target grade, then awesome, you're doing things right. If you're still a little below where you should be then you can bump it up a little.

Remember to give yourself plenty of breaks. Keeping healthy; getting exercise and rest, is important too!

Best of luck! :smile:
Omg thank you I just read your masterpost for revision and it is great. For english literature what texts do you study? I am struggling with grouping things together and having the time to re read the novels and look for quotes.

I do Antony and Cleopatra, Enduring Love and Far from the Madding Crowd for my coursework, then it's all wider reading for the exam :smile:
Once I've read the texts once I generally look for quotes on websites like litcharts or shmoop rather than trawling back through :h:
As long as it takes for you to perfect exam technique and understand the actual content.

I do Antony and Cleopatra, Enduring Love and Far from the Madding Crowd for my coursework, then it's all wider reading for the exam :smile:
Once I've read the texts once I generally look for quotes on websites like litcharts or shmoop rather than trawling back through :h:

Thank you very much. I will use both of those to do my revision!

Quick Reply

Latest