The Student Room Group

Gap year help

I'm in year 12 and am looking to take a Gap year after I finish school before I go to university.
-Would I be looked on negatively by universities if I take a gap year?
- And are there any places you've travelled to that you would not recommend someone travelling to on their gap year?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by lucyfran
I'm in year 12 and am looking to take a Gap year after I finish school before I go to university.
-Would I be looked on negatively by universities if I take a gap year?
- And are there any places you've travelled to that you would not recommend someone travelling to on their gap year?

1) Most Unis think it's a good idea providing you spend the time wisely :yep: Unless you're applying for a subject such as Maths, where I think most Unis prefer applicants to start straight after studying for A-Levels/etc. because then your skills are fresher.
2) Haven't taken my Gap Year yet but I plan to go Interrailing across Europe so would love to know the answer :giggle:
Reply 2
Original post by Neuth
1) Most Unis think it's a good idea providing you spend the time wisely :yep: Unless you're applying for a subject such as Maths, where I think most Unis prefer applicants to start straight after studying for A-Levels/etc. because then your skills are fresher.
2) Haven't taken my Gap Year yet but I plan to go Interrailing across Europe so would love to know the answer :giggle:

Thank you for the reply! :smile: My friend's brother went interrailing across Europe and he said it was amazing so I would definitely recommend it :smile:
Reply 3
Ive had to take 2 gap years, universities definitely love it in an interview when you can prove how independant and mature the gap year has made you. First year i went to Tanzania with Gap Medics (bloody amazing), this July im going interrailing with friends I met in Tanzania (cant wait woo)

Quick Reply

Latest