The Student Room Group

Can I EVER get an A Level? AQA Old Spec Vs New Biology and Chemistry

I am with Open Study College and I am doing the old specification in AS Biology and Chemistry which is the last chance to do only this year I'm told. As of next year onwards there is the new specification. But one of these specifications as I understand it split AS and A Levels as 2 completely separate qualifications (whereas before AS and A2 where kind of part of a 2 year course)I called AQA to enquire and they messed me up completely and said like I was supposed to have booked by exams ladt year or something.But anyway my huge problem is my OSC teacher has suddenly told me that if I sit the AS and only the AS in 2016 then I won't be able to EVER get a full A Level. I absolutely do not understand what he means by this.. Like where do I start? Is he saying so if I never get a full A Level then I can never go to Uni??? See his response below. If anyone can explain to me what he means exactly Id be grateful. Is he telling me I can never get an A Lvel or go to Uni?Please please reply. Thanks."I'm afraid not. If you wish to achieve the full A-Levels with the old specification then you need to take all 4 written exams and both practical's in 2016. There is no way to do it after 2016.Your only other option would be to switch to the new specification course and take all of the exams and practical's in 2017.I'm not sure about the registration deadline date, that might have been misleadi*ng like everything else. But yes, you do need to register ASAP.I am aware of centres on Bristol, London and Birmingham if that helps?"Then:" As I noted earlier, you can do the AS this year, no problem. That would be the first 3 units. If you do this, however, there is no chance of building this to the full A-Level. You would have to stop at the AS.The old and new specifications are totally separate - you must stop thinking that they are in some way related, they are not. You can not do the AS with the old and then build to the A-Level with the new.You have three options:
1 - Take the AS this year and stop at that point (these would be units 1,2 and 3)
2 - Take the full A-Level this year (all 6 units)
3 - Take the A-Level in 2017 with the new specification.I want to be clear, these are the only options.It would be difficult to take them this year but certainly not impossible, we have very many students who take the full A-Level after just 6 months or so of study. It all depends on how much time you *have available"
Original post by princessmile
I am with Open Study College and I am doing the old specification in AS Biology and Chemistry which is the last chance to do only this year I'm told. As of next year onwards there is the new specification. But one of these specifications as I understand it split AS and A Levels as 2 completely separate qualifications (whereas before AS and A2 where kind of part of a 2 year course)I called AQA to enquire and they messed me up completely and said like I was supposed to have booked by exams ladt year or something.But anyway my huge problem is my OSC teacher has suddenly told me that if I sit the AS and only the AS in 2016 then I won't be able to EVER get a full A Level. I absolutely do not understand what he means by this.. Like where do I start? Is he saying so if I never get a full A Level then I can never go to Uni??? See his response below. If anyone can explain to me what he means exactly Id be grateful. Is he telling me I can never get an A Lvel or go to Uni?Please please reply. Thanks."I'm afraid not. If you wish to achieve the full A-Levels with the old specification then you need to take all 4 written exams and both practical's in 2016. There is no way to do it after 2016.Your only other option would be to switch to the new specification course and take all of the exams and practical's in 2017.I'm not sure about the registration deadline date, that might have been misleadi*ng like everything else. But yes, you do need to register ASAP.I am aware of centres on Bristol, London and Birmingham if that helps?"Then:" As I noted earlier, you can do the AS this year, no problem. That would be the first 3 units. If you do this, however, there is no chance of building this to the full A-Level. You would have to stop at the AS.The old and new specifications are totally separate - you must stop thinking that they are in some way related, they are not. You can not do the AS with the old and then build to the A-Level with the new.You have three options:
1 - Take the AS this year and stop at that point (these would be units 1,2 and 3)
2 - Take the full A-Level this year (all 6 units)
3 - Take the A-Level in 2017 with the new specification.I want to be clear, these are the only options.It would be difficult to take them this year but certainly not impossible, we have very many students who take the full A-Level after just 6 months or so of study. It all depends on how much time you *have available"

Your tutor seems to have been very clear about your options.

This is the last year of the old specification. If you don't take the AS and A2 exams and practicals this summer you will not be able to complete the existing A level qualification. You can either take the AS and stop or take the full A level this summer. Keep in mind the entry deadline for this summer is tomorrow and late entries can get very expensive.

Alternatively, you can complete a full A level under the new specification by taking exams in summer 2017. In the new specification you will be tested on the full two years of study in a single set of exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
THANK YOU! That is all I wanted to know. While my Tutor really knows his stuff I didn't understand what he meant by you can't do the full A Level for the old spec but now you've cleared that up.. BUT you say "in a single set of exams" but in the AQA website it says there is an exam available for the AS part of it this year 2016? See for yourself http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/biology-7401-7402 "Exams from: 2016 (AS), 2017 (A-level)"
Original post by gdunne42
Your tutor seems to have been very clear about your options.

This is the last year of the old specification. If you don't take the AS and A2 exams and practicals this summer you will not be able to complete the existing A level qualification. You can either take the AS and stop or take the full A level this summer. Keep in mind the entry deadline for this summer is tomorrow and late entries can get very expensive.

Alternatively, you can complete a full A level under the new specification by taking exams in summer 2017. In the new specification you will be tested on the full two years of study in a single set of exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

THANK YOU! That is all I wanted to know. While my Tutor really knows his stuff I didn't understand what he meant by you can't do the full A Level for the old spec but now you've cleared that up.. BUT you say "in a single set of exams" but in the AQA website it says there is an exam available for the AS part of it this year 2016? See for yourself http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/biology-7401-7402 "Exams from: 2016 (AS), 2017 (A-level)"

I spoke to an exam centre and they said that in 2017 the old spec is only gonna be there for retakes. So they said if someone does need to do it over 2 years they could prepare for the AS and do well in that, then retake the A2 modules.
Did you start AS in September 2015? I'm pretty sure if you start in 2015 you have to do the new spec. The 2016 old spec AS exams are only for those who are resitting (i.e. those who started the course in September 2014).
Reply 5

You could do the new spec AS this year and get an AS but it doesn't count towards the A level grade it is just an AS. The content is the same as the first half of the A level but the exams (if taken) are stand alone and do not contribute to the overall A level grade. To get an A level you now need to take all 3 A level exams in the same exam season.
Original post by I Don't Care
Did you start AS in September 2015? I'm pretty sure if you start in 2015 you have to do the new spec. The 2016 old spec AS exams are only for those who are resitting (i.e. those who started the course in September 2014).

That's wrong I think because it's this yr 2016 that is the last yr for the old spec. It's the next year 2017 that's the resits. Because look at the person above and on the AQA sit it says 2410 is the current spec.
Reply 7
That's wrong I think because it's this yr 2016 that is the last yr for the old spec. It's the next year 2017 that's the resits. Because look at the person above and on the AQA sit it says 2410 is the current spec.

The new specs started being taught in September 2015 for first AS exams in Summer 2016 and A level exams in 2017. The last main entry for the old AS exams was Summer 2015.

2016 is the last year for the AS resit and 2017 is the last year for the A2 resit.
Original post by I Don't Care
2016 is the last year for the AS resit and 2017 is the last year for the A2 resit.

The current proposal is for all as and a2 units to be available for resits only in the year after a specification has been completely replaced. A final decision has not yet been announced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest