The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jshep000
Going to be a uneeded close game, we should've put them away yesterday to calm the second leg. Typical of us to make things harder :biggrin:

We should be able to win at home. Don't deserve to be in the competition otherwise.
Both Pearce and Maddock saying that Balotelli's future with us is over, China could be his likely destination.

Also we hope to tie up £90m naming rights for the new Main Stand in Asia too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mr tim
Both Pearce and Maddock saying that Balotelli's future with us is over, China could be his likely destination.

If China are taking him, they'll probably pay over the odds like they did for Ramires.

I'd expect at least 15m to be honest.
Original post by mr tim

Been over for a while hasn't it? Hardly featured in his first season and then got shifted out on loan immediately after. Def not a Klopp player either.

Not sure how much we could get for Balotelli since we just want rid and there's no demand for him. However China might be good for him since he's a brand/known player which can only be good for their profile?

Hard to ignore that kind of money..?
I bet the naming rights money will go to paying back FSG loan or buying **** players, wouldn't want £90m if that is the case
Original post by LFC_fan_321
I bet the naming rights money will go to paying back FSG loan or buying **** players, wouldn't want £90m if that is the case

FSG have taken no money out of the club and have provided a lot in interest/nominal interest loans. If the naming rights goes on paying off the funds for building the expansion then I don't see what the problem is.
Original post by Zerforax
FSG have taken no money out of the club and have provided a lot in interest/nominal interest loans. If the naming rights goes on paying off the funds for building the expansion then I don't see what the problem is.

I agree. They've been great owners and they know what they're doing anyway.

What do you reckon our budget will be in the summer, not including sales?
Sure, we could sell Benteke for 20m and Balotelli for 10-15m, but I do wonder how much Klopp will be given to work with initially.

I trust his judgement and I feel real optimism with the players he'll sign. I can't say I've seen much of Matip or Grujic but Klopp wouldn't buy them unless he was confident they'd succeed.
Original post by Lúcio
I agree. They've been great owners and they know what they're doing anyway.

What do you reckon our budget will be in the summer, not including sales?
Sure, we could sell Benteke for 20m and Balotelli for 10-15m, but I do wonder how much Klopp will be given to work with initially.

I trust his judgement and I feel real optimism with the players he'll sign. I can't say I've seen much of Matip or Grujic but Klopp wouldn't buy them unless he was confident they'd succeed.

Hard to say. I don't think we actually spent much in terms of net value last summer. Some might have us having spent 50mil net whereas I don't think it was even as much as £15mil..

That means, with the new TV money, we should have plenty of cash to spend. I don't think we even spent a lot of the extra revenue from CL from the year before? No doubt FSG will want to fully back Klopp in the market too.
Hard to say. I don't think we actually spent much in terms of net value last summer. Some might have us having spent 50mil net whereas I don't think it was even as much as £15mil..

That means, with the new TV money, we should have plenty of cash to spend. I don't think we even spent a lot of the extra revenue from CL from the year before? No doubt FSG will want to fully back Klopp in the market too.

We spent 8m last summer and 25m the summer before, from estimated budgets of 40 and 60m. Obviously Milner's huge wages/probable sign on fee would add to that 8m, but really we spent sweet **** all. There is **** loads of cash and we should break our record transfer.

The club could afford, the last two summers, to spend 30m without dipping into FSG's funds or the CL budget, according to informed estimates from the accounts. With the new TV deal, left over money, and potential FSG funds, there's comfortable space for a 100m netspend this summer.
(edited 8 years ago)

I agree with the above - it would be amazing to see us have a net spend of around 100m.
It would only be fair to give Klopp a lot of money to be able to shape the team how he likes. He inherited a set of players and for all we know he only wants to keep half of them. The only thing that worries me is that we'll have no CL football but Spurs will.
Next season will be ridiculously competitive and we really need to get it right here because if we don't we could find ourselves nowhere close to top 4.
Don't think we are getting an overhaul this summer even if we have loads of money to spend. We already have CB sorted, I can see probably see two or three more signings for the first XI, hopefully them being a new GK, CM and Winger.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
We spent 8m last summer and 25m the summer before, from estimated budgets of 40 and 60m. Obviously Milner's huge wages/probable sign on fee would add to that 8m, but really we spent sweet **** all. There is **** loads of cash and we should break our record transfer.

The club could afford, the last two summers, to spend 30m without dipping into FSG's funds or the CL budget, according to informed estimates from the accounts. With the new TV deal, left over money, and potential FSG funds, there's comfortable space for a 100m netspend this summer.

Did you get £8mil including or excluding Ings? I added around 7mil even if I don't think the tribunal has set his fee yet?

Yea sounds about right to me too. We should be selling a few players too. Hoping we make 2-3 big signings rather than buying 10 players like we usually do.

Original post by Lúcio
I agree with the above - it would be amazing to see us have a net spend of around 100m.
It would only be fair to give Klopp a lot of money to be able to shape the team how he likes. He inherited a set of players and for all we know he only wants to keep half of them. The only thing that worries me is that we'll have no CL football but Spurs will.
Next season will be ridiculously competitive and we really need to get it right here because if we don't we could find ourselves nowhere close to top 4.

Spurs are pretty tight on their wages and we saw how difficult it was to attract players based on one CL season. Main issue is if they win the league. Klopp will help attract better players though.
Weekends without football are the pits. Even if I have been bleating on about our hectic schedule and some players needing a rest...
I really hope Hart gets injured and City have to play Caballero in the League Cup final...
Mignolet is worse.

Also Ward played for U21s earlier. He's played more games for them than the senior side. Why recall him? same for Ilori who has only played 1 or 2 matches for the 1st team.
(edited 8 years ago)
Looks like we'll have another weekend off on 12-13 March after Chelsea went through in FA cup.
Original post by Lúcio
I really hope Hart gets injured and City have to play Caballero in the League Cup final...

Was a very Mignolet-esque performance by Cabellero wasn't it?
Was a very Mignolet-esque performance by Cabellero wasn't it?

As close to Mignolet as you're gonna get.
Made a great point blank save vs Pedro but made at least 2 errors leading to goals. Abysmal.

I know it's not nice to say but I really hope City get a key player injured for the League Cup final. Nothing major of course, but it would be a real boost if Hart/Kompany/Aguero weren't playing.
Original post by Lúcio
As close to Mignolet as you're gonna get.
Made a great point blank save vs Pedro but made at least 2 errors leading to goals. Abysmal.

I know it's not nice to say but I really hope City get a key player injured for the League Cup final. Nothing major of course, but it would be a real boost if Hart/Kompany/Aguero weren't playing.

Hopefully Aguero, Kompany and Hart will all collide in training and pick up slight injuries.

Imagine Sturridge/Coutinho/Firmino against Caballero :drool::drool:
Original post by tomtjl
Hopefully Aguero, Kompany and Hart will all collide in training and pick up slight injuries.

Imagine Sturridge/Coutinho/Firmino against Caballero :drool::drool:

Would probably have his one season blinder against us..

Latest